PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Baby Equipment...AGGHHHHH!!!

Indianamom2
06-23-2009, 03:01 PM
I'm not exactly sure where this post belongs, so I'm going with the most traffic!:eek::eek:

So I'm due in 2 weeks (will be 38 weeks tomorrow). I have procrastinated mightily on some of the "must do" type things...you know, like packing my hospital bag, the diaper bag, finishing the nursery (though the main part of that is done), and oh yeah....cleaning the infant carrier and stroller.

So today, when we got home from running errands, I took apart DD's Regent and decided to wash the cover, as it desperately needs it. I had to finally lug the huge beast of a seat into the house as the 100 degree stifling temp in the garage wasn't helping matters.

Then, I figured I'd tackle washing that car seat cover and the infant carrier cover and stroller cover all at once. Well, after digging the carrier and stroller out of the (jam-packed) basement, which at least thankfully is much cooler, I spent at least 40 minutes trying to take the covers off of said carrier (Graco Snugride) and matching travel system stroller. By far, the stroller was the worst. Apparently I never had to wash that cover :innocent:
and all I can say is that, if by some miracle, I can even get it back on, if this new little guy poops or pukes in it.........

We're just buying a new stroller!!!!;)

And now, for a quick question, which I will cross-post in some other spot....

On the Graco snugride (think 5 years ago) infant carrier, is there a way to take off the fabric from the canopy/shade to wash it? I sure couldn't see a way, but after being in the basement for several years, I'd really like to.

Thanks, if you've made it this far!

Christina...who may just go insane today!

ha98ed14
06-23-2009, 03:38 PM
There was no way to remove the cover on my Graco infant carrier. I remember being irked by that. But if your car seat is 5 years old already, you probably want to get a new one anyway. Depending on when it was manufactured, they aren't good for more than 5 years. I would check the date of manufacture. They can give you some good advice on this in the car seat forum.

BTW, I see you are in Indiana. Know any lawyers? Can you comment on my situation: "I need a lawyer in Indiana..." Thread?

JBaxter
06-23-2009, 03:48 PM
FYI check your expiration date on your infant seat. Its 6 yrs from manufacture date.

jenny
06-23-2009, 04:02 PM
you can't take the fabric off but you can get a slip cover to put over it.

i'd just get a new seat just to be on the safe side.

Indianamom2
06-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks.

I did check the expiration date and it says not to use after Dec. 2010, so I'm in good shape. I have a brand new Marathon that I will use after a couple months anyhow, since I don't really like having to carry around the carrier once the baby gets very heavy.

I actually think Graco must have a 6 year expiration date because mine was made in mid 2004. I was curious too...so I double checked. I thought I might only have a couple months left in it, but was pleasantly surprised.

Christina

mariza
06-23-2009, 04:12 PM
I agree with the PP's, make sure your seat isn't expired. If it's still useable, you can just pop the canopy off the seat and put the whole thing in the wash and let it airdry. I used to do this with sunshade on my P3 all the time.

trentsmom
06-23-2009, 04:41 PM
I was able to pull the sunshade off of my Snugride, but I couldn't get the plastic things out of it. I just washed the sunshade with them in it, and it came out just fine. You're a good mom to wash the cover of the stroller. I haven't yet, and I just might not do it!

Snow mom
06-23-2009, 04:43 PM
I believe that Gracos expire in December 6 years after manufacture. That fits with your seat being manufactured in 2004. The bars that the canopy are on snap together and I can't for the life of me figure out how to snap them back apart. You should be able to shimmy the fabric over to see where years ago you assembled it.

Indianamom2
06-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Ahh, hold on to the "good mom" thought! If it hadn't been sitting in the basement for at least 2 years, I probably wouldn't have washed it, but I can't stand spiders and and the thought that there have probably been a few crawling around down there (it's unfinished) just creeps me out. Besides, I may never (quite literally) get that cover back on.

Seriously, I don't understand why it was that hard to get off. I have a Combi stroller that I know I washed and it was no where near as hard to take off.

Don't these manufacturerers know that babies make a mess?

Christina

Kitten007
06-23-2009, 07:03 PM
If you have a front load HE washer just throw the entire canopy plastic and all in it. I do it with my Graco canopy often, let it air dry of course, and it still looks new!