PDA

View Full Version : Check Cashing/depositing Question

alien_host
06-23-2009, 06:19 PM
since I'm too lazy to call the bank... ;)

Anyone know the answer to this? I have a joint bank account with DH. If he receives a check in his name, can I deposit it for him (via ATM) without his signature? Is a signature always needed? Does he have to sign it over to me?

I know this sounds totally dumb. We sometimes get rebate checks or whatever and it's easier if I go to the bank then if he does. I always forget to ask him to sign the check etc.

Since it's just being deposited in account vs being cashed, does it really matter if he signs it?

TIA!

tylersmama
06-23-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm almost positive he needs to sign it, or they will most likely return it to you. You can deposit it, but he needs to have signed it first.

elliput
06-23-2009, 06:27 PM
From my experience, as long as you are an account holder you can endorse the check regardless to which account holder the check is written.

Wife_and_mommy
06-23-2009, 06:28 PM
No need for him to sign it as long as the ck. is made out to an account holder. Write "For Deposit Only" on it and your account number and you're good to go. :)

sariana
06-23-2009, 06:31 PM
In my experience the only checks that require DH's signature are government checks (i.e. income tax refunds). Otherwise they bank/credit union (we've used both) will take them as long as it is a joint account. I have never deposited a check at the ATM, though, only in person.

Pennylane
06-23-2009, 06:44 PM
In my experience the only checks that require DH's signature are government checks (i.e. income tax refunds). Otherwise they bank/credit union (we've used both) will take them as long as it is a joint account. I have never deposited a check at the ATM, though, only in person.

:yeahthat:

Just write "For Deposit Only" and you will be fine. As long as it is not a Government check.

Ann

set81616
06-23-2009, 07:15 PM
For Deposit Only is good. Just make sure if it is to you both you don't sign as then he will need to also.
Shannon

tylersmama
06-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Huh. Guess I'm wrong! I forgot about writing "for deposit only" on it...that should work. I wouldn't leave it unsigned, though...

alien_host
06-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the replys so, just to clarify do I:

1) Just write "for deposit only" and no signature

or

2) write for deposit only and sign MY name, eventhough the check is not made out to me?

Thanks!

stella
06-23-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm pretty good at forging my dh's signature on occasions like this. In Texas, it's only illegal if I have an intent to defraud him or the payor. By depositing it into our joint account, it's pretty clear that there's no such intent.

kijip
06-23-2009, 10:08 PM
No need for him to sign it as long as the ck. is made out to an account holder. Write "For Deposit Only" on it and your account number and you're good to go. :)

I do this all the time with checks made out to my husband and vice versa. No endorsement is needed. We only deposit with a teller and no one has ever asked for a signature. Bear in mind that checks are processed from ATMs mostly by machine.

ett
06-23-2009, 11:04 PM
I print my DH's name and then write "for deposit only". I always deposit at the teller and have never had a problem.

alien_host
06-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Most of you do one form or another (no signature or "for deposit only"), but you go to a teller. I prefer to use the ATM because I can use the drive through and not drag DD into the bank.

Does anyone think it would be a different process if it was via ATM? Would the bank be looking for the signature later and have an issue?