PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of those OFF fan bug things?

gordo
06-23-2009, 08:09 PM
I am a magnet for mosquitoes and already one bite got infected and I ended up with cellulitis on my foot and a possible West Nile diagnosis (got severe flu symptoms 3 days after my bite). so I am desperate to avoid anymore bites this year. Some people swear by the new Off fan things, but the thought of that stuff being circulated around me all night and breathing it in so often turns me off. Any thoughts on it?

neeleymartin
06-23-2009, 08:42 PM
i also was afraid of breathing in the chemicals. but is that better than slathering chemicals on your body?!? not sure how i feel.

i was hoping to spark up the conversation here, and see what more knowledgeable others had to say. sorry i have nothing useful to add. thanks for posting.

mom2binsd
06-23-2009, 08:50 PM
I saw this bracelet that is supposed to last for 200 hours, it looks like a twirly rope and was 1.99, have no idea if it works.

I'm interested to hear about the OFF fans too, the bugs love me and the bites always swell up!

I've already tested and posted on the Strap Perfect and Smooth Away so it's someone else's turn!!

crazydiamond
06-24-2009, 07:08 AM
It did not work for me. Back to sprays.

justincase
06-24-2009, 07:31 AM
Me too! I would love to hear if anyone else has had luck with these. I posted about it a while back. Same thoughts as PP -- worried about the chemicals swirling around, but is that better than spraying it on?? Especially thinking about playing outside with DS, with DD in the sling -- I am tempted by the idea of not having to put anything "near" her skin yet still have her protected. Last time I posted, a couple of people said they were just starting to try them out and would let us know. Also, I've had no luck with those bracelet-type things working...

pastrygirl
06-24-2009, 07:52 AM
I'm seriously allergic to mosquito bites, too, and they LOVE me! I don't know about the fan, but I finally found a combo that works for me and keeps the flu-like symptoms to a minimum.

California Baby bug repellent lotion -- it comes in a pump and is very liquidy. For after bites, red Tiger Balm.

infomama
06-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Costco has these clip on ultrasonic things for bugs....may be worth a try. I saw them yesterday.

Snow mom
06-24-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm seriously allergic to mosquito bites, too, and they LOVE me! I don't know about the fan, but I finally found a combo that works for me and keeps the flu-like symptoms to a minimum.

California Baby bug repellent lotion -- it comes in a pump and is very liquidy. For after bites, red Tiger Balm.

Oooo, I'm intrigued. You use Tiger Balm for bug bites? That's the stuff that warms, right? I assume it helps with the itch or does it do something else too???

Also, where do you get the CA baby bug lotion? I need to find a new solution for daycare. I brought some Badger balm for them to use but they've been putting god knows what on her (probably deet... grrr.) Maybe a lotion would increase their compliance.

brittone2
06-24-2009, 03:50 PM
we do the natural essential oil (citronella, lemongrass, etc. based) sprays and balms (storebought or homemade).

We are in NC and outside all of the time. I still get bites, but the sprays do help.

I personally am not into the OFF sprays or fans. If I was really concerned, I'd probably aim for long sleeves/pants when outside...having a fan nearby is supposed to be a good deterrent too...moving/circulating air supposedly keeps the mosquitos away.

pastrygirl
06-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Oooo, I'm intrigued. You use Tiger Balm for bug bites? That's the stuff that warms, right? I assume it helps with the itch or does it do something else too???

Also, where do you get the CA baby bug lotion? I need to find a new solution for daycare. I brought some Badger balm for them to use but they've been putting god knows what on her (probably deet... grrr.) Maybe a lotion would increase their compliance.I haven't noticed the Tiger Balm getting warm, but it is the one used for muscle aches. Someone else suggested it as a bug bite remedy to me, and really, it's fantastic! It completely takes away the itch. I have to reapply a lot, but nothing else takes away the itch like that. I buy the tiny quarter-sized tin that I keep in my purse during the summer.

I can't remember where I got the CA bug lotion -- I got it last year. Maybe Wegman's or Whole Foods?

m448
06-24-2009, 04:31 PM
tea tree oil or even a paste of baking soda and water is enough for bites around here (baking soda and water paste is especially good for bee/wasp stings).

Other than that the natural sprays work well with essential oils. If anyone is wanting to make their own I've bookmarked these to try in a roller bottle to put on the pulse points only:

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/newsletter/07/june/insect.php

alirebco
06-24-2009, 05:50 PM
I wouldn't use them b/c I'm wary of chemicals. We like the Badger Bug Balm or the Burt's Bees spray. Also you can take vitamin B1 daily and you'll be less attractive to the bugs.