PDA

View Full Version : So what do you wear when you're nursing?

DCmommy
06-23-2009, 08:37 PM
With the new LO, I'm back to frequent nursing and I'm having a really hard time with the wardrobe! I usually wear comfy but cute dresses in the summer, but I'm finding that dresses don't generally work so well as nursing attire. I'm basically a SAHM (I teach part time, but that's not starting up again until the fall) and I'm trying to spend a little bit of money (AT Loft prices?) to build a wardrobe that will be (1) attractive, (2) comfortable, and (3) easy/convenient to nurse in. I hate "nursing" tops because I feel like they scream "HELLO! I'm LACTATING!" but I've fallen in love with the Bravado nursing tank -- I have two, and am about to buy two more.

So I'm wondering what your nursing wardrobe consists of, and what you might suggest to build upon the bravado tanks as a summer nursing wardrobe.

TIA!

alirebco
06-23-2009, 09:05 PM
I just wear normal shirts or tanks but I always have a thin camisole underneath. I just pull up my shirt, and then pull down my cami, unhook my nursing bra and that's it. No skin shown!

Momof3Labs
06-23-2009, 09:36 PM
When it's really hot in the summer, I just wore a regular t-shirt (a la Hanna's tees) and pulled up to nurse. In the fall or winter, I wore layers - a hoodie over a t-shirt made a great nursing combo. I didn't have any nursing camis that I liked back then (the old Target tanks and the Glamourmom, both with those awful bullet holes) but did try to go that route - nursing cami layered under a t-shirt. I am hopeful that the Bravado tanks will work for me this time and I can layer those under a hoodie or a t-shirt for nursing purposes.

SnuggleBuggles
06-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Ditto both pps. Nursing tank under normal clothes unless it was too hot. I tended to stick to dark colors during the early months in case I leaked since it showed a bit less.

Beth

gobadgers
06-23-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm having the same trouble and am looking forward to the responses!

Today was our first really HOT day and I realized that wearing a cardigan or jacket is just not going to work all summer... I've just bought a couple loose, flowy shirts (with prints to hide any leaks!) to wear over nursing cami's and I'm hoping that will work.

Oh, and a couple elastic-banded skirts so I'm not stuck with maternity capris! They had cute ones at the Gap, marked down to $24...

newg
06-23-2009, 09:58 PM
I wore nursing tanks and tried to wear some kind of top that buttoned at least half way down (if not all the way down)....that was I never really felt "exposed".....just unbuttoned what I needed and unhooked the nursing tank.....
I think ATL has some really cute tops right now that would work.....I also got some at Gap and Eddie Bauer....nice thing is this summmer I just wear them as regular tops!

twowhat?
06-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Nursing tanks. I live in them. I have 6 of the Gilligan O'Malley tanks (because they are cheap and work well enough for me) and 1 Bravado tank. I layer tank tops, camis, button-down shirts, cardigans, and t-shirts over them. I have a bunch of tissue tees from J Crew that work nicely because they are so thin and light so I can wear this combo even in the TX summer heat.

KarenLud
06-24-2009, 01:16 AM
I've been dealing with this too. I got several Bravado tanks and while I love them, they are hot and I got sick of wearing the same thing over and over. So now I'll layer a Bravado tank under a ribbed tank from old navy (if it's not too hot). If it is too hot then I just wear the nursing bra with a tank top. I pretty much live in the old navy ones. I just bought several cotton dresses where I can just slip the strap down over my arm and nurse. I got the dresses at Target and old navy.

WatchingThemGrow
06-24-2009, 02:45 AM
black and white bravado tanks accessorized with a bravado shrug or a couple cheap motherhood nursing shirts. a friend just gave me one fancier motherhood one that's actually cute and the front pulls down.

my favorite is the dress I found at TJ Maxx when DS1 was little. It has a fake camisole attached in the front, so I slit it where it connects to make my own nursing dress for $25.

kijip
06-27-2009, 10:47 AM
I have found a few crossover shirts on Motherwear in neutral/dark colors (I HATE that nursing seems to equal pastel with them sometimes). They don't scream maternity with the visible flap or whatnot and I find it easier to NIP with them than any other combination. My button downs do not fit over my nursing breasts and ones that do hang off the rest of me so at least for me, the button down over a nursing tank does not work. Also the nursing tanks I have tried either don't have built in bra support OR they are too short to reliably cover my stomach.

Another thing- Old Navy sells these thin layering teeshirts that teens wear over swimsuits and stuff, the ones with a super deep v, that totally does not cover the bust. I have 2 of those that I wear under a normal pullover shirt and then I can rely on the layering tee to cover my belly and the overshirt and baby to cover my bust.

My son will rarely consent to NIP under a cover of any kind so something easy to NIP discreetly is important to me.

I work pt and am just not a jeans and t-shirt and sneakers everyday sort of gal, so I think we have similar needs. I need/want to look professional and pulled together without looking too dressy to be mom on the playground. I find cute shoes help with this.

longstocking
07-02-2009, 08:52 PM
I have a hard time with finding dresses I can easily nurse with. I am at church every Sunday and get so bored just wearing the same old skirt and t-shirt. I want dresses too, but haven't found anything yet that works.
My sister wore wrap shirts that worked great for her with a nursing tank underneath.

Nooknookmom
07-04-2009, 03:32 PM
I never bought a nursing bra, just used my VS Ipex, it was soft and flexible enough to roll up to feed. Wore regular shirts the whole time too. I bought 2 long sleeved nursing tops to wear as jammies when DD was not sleeping through the night, to make it easier to side-nurse.

There is usually way to much fabric on the nursing tops and it makes me uncomfortable.

I saved money that way too!

jgenie
07-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Nursing tanks. I live in them. I have 6 of the Gilligan O'Malley tanks (because they are cheap and work well enough for me) and 1 Bravado tank. I layer tank tops, camis, button-down shirts, cardigans, and t-shirts over them.

:yeahthat: The tanks from target were my uniform for the first year. I wore them under everything! I had 5 white and 2 black - will do 7 white next time since the black are practically brand new.