PDA

View Full Version : Gift/ card/ e-mail/ nothing?

ourbabygirl
06-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Just wondering what you all do when it comes to special occasions with your friends, siblings, & in-laws. It seems like the # of special days is multiplying exponentially-- always a birthday, anniversary, or something else to remember and acknowledge!
I don't want to be cheap with a stamp, card, or gift, but I also want to use my money wisely...
How do you decide who you're going to give a gift to, or just a card, or e-mail, or maybe nothing? Do you send anniversary cards to your siblings? Is an e-mail too impersonal for that? How about a card or gift to a friend's child that you & your kid hang out with, even if you're not invited to their party? As a family, have you set parameters for gifts (including spending limits) for the nieces & nephews? And do you give gifts to your adult siblings and their spouses? If so, what sort of $ amount are we talking?
If they give you a gift, do you always send a thank you by mail? I do, but DH comes from a family that doesn't, and I don't know if acknowledging it in person (or maybe again in an e-mail) is sufficient or is just tacky.

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for the info.!;)

Corie
06-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Okay, let me think.

First, my DH no longer has contact with his family.

This is for my side of the family. (This is not taking into account what I
do for my own kids/husband.)

Birthdays:
-I send birthday cards to my siblings.
-I send birthday gifts to my Dad and step-mom.
-I send birthday gifts to my 4 nephews. $25 each.
-I send birthday cards & an email to a few good friends on their birthday.

Christmas:
-I send Christmas gifts to my Dad and step-mom.
-I send Christmas gifts to my 4 nephews. $25 each.

Anniversary for siblings:
-I don't do anything.

That's pretty much it.

SnuggleBuggles
06-23-2009, 09:54 PM
I don't celebrate or really acknowledge anyone's anniversary but my own because I think that is a personal thing for the couple. Not sure why I feel that way but I do.

Birthdays- if they live locally they get cards and presents in person (or a gc if I know they'd prefer it, like my siblings and dad). Phone call or email for the others.
Presents for 1st b-days to friend playmates but no others unless invited to party. $30-40 for my niece and nephew as well as my siblings. Dh doesn't exchange gifts with his siblings.

If you acknowledge the gift in person then I think it is totally fine to call it a day there. Email or phone call is fine too. Written card is not necessary for most people but no one will be bugged if you send one, I bet. :) I still send real thank you cards via mail 95% of the time.

Beth