PDA

View Full Version : Would you go to your sister's bachelorette party if...?

gavsmompa
06-23-2009, 09:33 PM
you were the matron of honor and had a 2 month old? It's an overnight and I am feeling a little guilty granted DD is really good with sleeping at night (waking up for one feeding) but it seems like this week she has been really liking the breast right b4 bed for soothing. The whole bedtime routine has been interrupted with her crying right b4 bed even though she ate 45 minutes prior and the pacifier just hasn't been cutting it. I've been the one planning it so I would feel bad about missing out. I suppose I can try having DH give her the last feeding and the one middle of the night feeding and see how that goes a few days b4 the planned event. We have been giving her the bottle once a week since she was one month old. Worse comes to worse, I can leave after I put her to bed, but with a 2hr drive ahead of me, it would be difficult on me. Any advice?

SnuggleBuggles
06-23-2009, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't have planned to be away overnight if I had a nursing 2mo at home. It's just too stressful for my liking. Are you staying at a hotel? Any way dh and dd can come along (maybe get their own room so they are there just in case but you can stick with your original plan otherwise).

Beth

kijip
06-23-2009, 09:51 PM
I'd go for the evening portion of it (if feasible transportation wise) but not the overnight portion of it.

Leaving a breast-feeding baby that young at night just would not have worked for me or my baby.

One thing to think about is bringing your husband and baby with you to the party and then leaving as needed to feed baby. I am so sleepy that early in the game myself (even with super-sleeping infants) that I can't imagine being up for a super late party myself.

Octobermommy
06-23-2009, 10:53 PM
The only thing I would do is take my dh and baby with me and get an extra room at the hotel. 2 months is just too young imo to be seperated for the night.

deannanb
06-23-2009, 11:24 PM
I agree with all of the PP -
my guess is that whoever is planning the "party" - doesn't have kids!

wellyes
06-23-2009, 11:34 PM
I love that the suggestions here are "Bring the baby!" :ROTFLMAO: But I do agree. Don't miss the party, it's important. But also don't make your baby or yourself miserable.... if you have a baby that little and are used to nursing on demand at night, the engorgement can be really no fun at all.

WatchingThemGrow
06-24-2009, 03:00 AM
one of my bridesmaids skipped my "girls' night" b/c of her bfing baby. Oddly, we just hung out at my house, which would have been fine, but I think she just felt like it would be sort of a bummer/distraction for everyone else.

gordo
06-24-2009, 07:28 AM
I guess I am in the minority, but I would try and go. If you are already giving bottles, then that means you are pumping once in a while anyway. Maybe I would go a little late after putting her to bed, but I would definitely try and make it. Bring the pump and pump if you need to and leave enough milk for DH to have a couple bottles worth if he needs. But I am not one to stress about these kinds of things.

I am sure whatever you decide will be the right decision for you and I hope your sister would understand either way.

gavsmompa
06-24-2009, 08:29 AM
I am thinking that the right decision is to go but book another hotel room and have DH and DD go. I do want to go and at least having DD close will allow me to leave the party and get to her ASAP. It's just too stressful to think if something happened where my DH would not be able to settle her down, I would be 2 hours away.

marit
06-24-2009, 09:58 AM
I would totally go. I think leaving a 6 month old is much harder than a 2 month old (assuming she accepts the bottle). At 6 month they can miss you and wonder where you've disappeared, but at 2 months, as long as their needs are being met, I think they are totally fine.

This is a rare opportunity, she is your sister, and it sounds like you really want to be a part of it.

AnnieW625
06-24-2009, 10:32 AM
I agree with Marit, but if it's also feasible then I'd do what Octobermommy suggested and bring DH along and get a seperate room for your family incase you need to go back, but honestly I am sure things will go fine. I know that DH really enjoyed feeding DD at night when she was that young so this would be a good time for some daddy/daughter bonding.

Jen841
06-24-2009, 10:59 AM
This is a great opportunity for you, Dad and the bride. Sounds like everyone will be in good hands. Go with your pump and have a great time.

Something to think about... in 6 months, a year, 10 years will it be more important that you wore with the bride or your child?

My SIL came to my party with her pump. We all learned about pumps at it! I think it was good for her to have a night away, and for Dad to see he can do it!

gavsmompa
07-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Just wanted to post a reply with an update on this. I did attend my sister's bachelorette party and had a fantastic time. My DH convinced me that all would be fine and it was! DD did fine with the bottle. She did eat and maybe it was not quite as much as she would have taken from me but everything turned out well. She woke up once in the middle of the night and was very happy to see her momma in the morning. It was a much needed night out for me and I am so glad I went. Thanks to all for all your advice!