PDA

View Full Version : help me think this through re language camp vs new daycare

bubbaray
06-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Both girls start their new daycare this Friday (1 day only), then they start FT next Thursday (after our holiday weekend). They will be together in the daycare for July & August, then DD#1 will move to the Kindercare program in a different room for September and the school year. They have always been in daycare together, so its nice that they will have the 2m together to start the new daycare....

DD#1 starts K in September -- French Immersion.

There is a French Immersion camp run by a French school here (FI school is different than French school -- you have to be speaking French as a first language in the home and be French or Quebecois by birth, we are none of the above -- French Immersion is for non-native French speakers). The camp runs for kids starting K in September all the way up to G8 (so this is not the only opportunity for DD#1 to attend).

I would like to send DD#1 to this camp, but I'm thinking this is not the year. She is already starting a new daycare and a new school. Two BIG changes. The camp runs for 2 weeks in July and the 3rd week in August -- if I did send her this year, I would send her to the August camp (because I want her to settle into her new daycare in July, not be gone for half the month). There are kids in the new daycare going to her school in September, so it would be nice for her to have 2m of making new friends before she starts school.

Not that money is a huge deal, but their new daycare is a LOT more expensive than the one they have been in. The camp would be $200/week on top of that. BUT, next year for Kindercare, there is NO care for long school vacations (Christmas, Spring & Summer breaks) -- so we need camps for next year anyway.

BUT, it would be very cool for DD#1 to have some exposure to French in a fun environment before school. Apparently, many kids from her new FI school go to these camps (but she won't know anyone from her new school yet).

So, would you send her to the French camp this year or wait to next year??

JustMe
06-23-2009, 11:51 PM
I think I might want to wait for another year...there are a lot of transitions to go through, and it is always an option for another year. I think it would be fun/good for her to maintain/expand upon what she already has learned at school another year.

I did have to make a similar decision for my dd, who will be going to a dual immersion Span/Eng program this Fall. There is a one week Spanish camp offered through our city, but it would have meant transitioning her in and out of a new setting just for that week. I decided that we could do it a different year.

bubbaray
06-23-2009, 11:58 PM
Thank you -- that's exactly what my gut is telling me. I should just go with my gut and not stress about things.

Can I ask, do you speak Spanish? I'm thinking of taking a French course (for parents of children in FI). I used to be fairly fluent, but its been, oh, 2 decades since I've used my French....

KpbS
06-24-2009, 12:02 AM
I too would wait til next year. Maybe you could have a fun French themed outing just the two of you instead. I think that camp would be too much given that Kindergarten is right around the corner and that alone can be a pretty big transition. Let her get comfortable w/ the new setting (with her sister) and plan on camp for next year.

JMO

JustMe
06-24-2009, 12:04 AM
I do speak Spanish, although I am getting rusty as I have not used it on a regular basis for about 2 years. I say go for taking the parent class...what a great way to meet other parents and let dd know you also value speaking French.

Next year will be the first year dd's school will be dual immersion. It is changing from being a regular English speaking school, although this year they did add 15 minutes of Spanish/day into the Kinder. classes, which dd was in. I feel it definitely made a difference in her motivation and willingness to speak the little she learned that I was able to ask/answer questions in Spanish.

mom2binsd
06-24-2009, 02:13 AM
Melissa,

I think you're right to wait on French Camp until next year, even though it'll be in a fun environment, she'll have more confidence in her French skills after a year in K (do you guys have full day K up there yet?).

P.S. My friend who I wrote to you about who is moving to Vancouver may have a FI job already too!!

baileygirl
06-24-2009, 04:27 AM
I would wait until next year too...I would consider sending her if she doesn't know anyone at the new school and you are certain that some of the kids from her grade would be there.