PDA

View Full Version : Registry Strategy

bigpassport
06-24-2009, 01:41 AM
I am registering at Babies R Us (for people in town) and Amazon.com (for people out of town). This is our first, he is being adopted, and a lot of people are excited for us so there are a lot of people on our shower invitation list. We did the shower invitation with a photo kind of like an announcement so its going out to a lot of people (we aren't doing an announcement until after the adoption is finalized). My dilemma...I am frugal so I am having a hard time building up my registries so that there is enough stuff for people to buy. I keep thinking, "that is too expensive at BRU" or "I really don't need that." But I'm afraid if I don't put enough things on my registries in a variety of price ranges, I am going to wind up with too many or off-season clothes that will be hard to retun. I don't want to sound like I'm greedy, but at the same time I don't want to miss out on an opportunity.

Questions: (1) Any suggestions for items you'd recommend to put on a registry beyond the basics? Maybe help with toddler items? (2) Should I register for things I think I might not keep just to be able to return them? Gosh that sounds horrible. (3) Any other registry strategies?

TIA!

Tondi G
06-24-2009, 02:09 AM
I would just register for anything you think you would like to have. People may decide to get together and buy one BIG nicer thing and split the cost. Then always include smaller things like blankets, burp and wash cloths, bibs, bottles, pacifiers, bath stuff (if you want California Baby or healthier brands of this stuff put it on your registry so people don't buy you a ton of johnsons or baby magic stuff!). put some smaller toys on there (stacking rings, baby safe mirrors, link a dos, teethers etc) sometimes people like to buy an outfit and then a small toy. Don't forget your carriers (ergo and/or slings/pouches), strollers, high chairs, baths, baby monitor, exersaucer, bouncy seat, fisher price cradle swing, gymini. Don't feel like you are being greedy... people like to have a variety of things to choose from. Anything that doesn't get purchased you can always buy later on your own but why not let people know all the things you would "like" to have even if some of them may be more expensive. Walking into a Babies R Us or even going on the site can be overwhelming for people who don't have babies or had them long ago.... it is helpful to have a registry to buy from!

If you don't like the prices you see on Babies R Us you can always go to an independent registry/wishlist site like these and link to ANY store you like or that has a good price... then you aren't limited to Amazon or BRU products

My registry
http://www.myregistry.com/wedding-registry.html?gclid=CKDPr62dopsCFRFWagodjjxuCw
OR
"The things I want"
http://www.thethingsiwant.com/
OR
Kaboodle
http://www.kaboodle.com/mk/wishlists/genwls1.html?m_cid=lgbin2

sadie427
06-24-2009, 02:24 AM
Congrats Lee!

I wouldn't stress too much over the registry--many people won't even get stuff from there. I wouldn't register for stuff you are pretty sure you won't keep--what if someone expects to see the item in your house and you've returned it? Just a hassle to return stuff too.

A few ideas for the registry, if you don't have these things on their already:

Bottles--you may need lots, it's nice to have enough to not run the dishwasher all the time
Nice bottle drying rack (like the Skip hop one), other bottle accessories
Diapers
Nice baby bath stuff
Larger sized clothes are nice--they grow out of the smaller stuff fast.
Lots of blankets, burp cloths/cloth diapers
If it gets cold where you are, fleece buntings for the winter
Soft Baby shoes for 6-12 and 12-18 mo (e.g. Robeez)
Nice umbrella stroller (e.g. maclaren Volo) even if you already have a stroller, great for travel and around $100. (some people might go in on that)

sariana
06-24-2009, 02:36 AM
I agree that your registry should include anything you are interested in having, regardless of the cost. Let people choose what they want to give you. Remember that stores often send you "completer" coupons for any items left on your registry. This is a good way to get a discount on something you did not receive as a gift but may still want.

I would not include anything you do not actually want, and not for the reason you seem to be citing. Sometimes people use a registry to determine what kinds of things you like. If your registry contains items you do not actually want, people will have a false impression of your tastes.

The suggestion about including specialty brands is a good one. I have referred to people's registries well after a child's birth for ideas for gifts down the line (1st birthday, etc.). It is helpful to know that someone prefers a certain brand (or color scheme or whatever) over another.

billysmommy
06-24-2009, 07:09 AM
Definitely put on some things you will need down the road. I had put on 2 convertible carseats (1 for each of our cars) figuring I could use the completion coupon on them later ~ I was shocked to receive both of them. My co-workers all chipped in on one and my cousins the other.

DietCokeLover
06-24-2009, 07:25 AM
I agree with PPs. Put things on your registry you want. No one is going to think you are greedy. You never know who may want to bless you with something that is more than you thought they would spend.

Some other things to think of for the registry...
Baby care books
DIAPERS and WIPES!!!!
Cans of formula
Bottles
Sippy cups, you'll be into those in about a year
pack and play and sheets to fit
crib sheets and mattress pads
baby carrier/ sling
baby shoes (Robeez, pedipeds, etc)

Congratulations! I love adoption stories. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

KrisM
06-24-2009, 07:40 AM
The only thing I'd put on that I would intend to return is a convertible carseat. If you get it, great! If you get it, return it so you can buy it again when you actually need it.

Otherwise, the PPs have great ideas. And, people will buy other items, too.

AnnieW625
06-24-2009, 11:13 AM
I found BRUS's prices to be higher than Target, and I actually got more stuff from my Target registry than I did with my BRUS one. Look and see what is convenient for your guests, even the ones far away. In my hometown the nearest BRUS was 30 miles away. People like to bring stuff to showers so unless they aren't able to come they'll most likely buy stuff locally. On Amazon you'll definitely have more variety than you will at BRUS.

Here are a list of essentials I can think of:

baby bath tub
baby bath essentials
hooded towel/wash cloth
infant car seat (it's probably easier to buy this at BRUS because it can be returned locally)
snap n go frame
pack n play
pack n play sheets
baby bottles
boppy pillow (even though you aren't breast feeding, great for baby to prop up on before they can sit up)
Carter's Infant/toddler clothes (prefer this 10x more than the BRUS house brand)
diapers
wipes
gift cards
crib sheets
Diaper Champ
convertible car seats (your registry stays active after your shower so if they offer any kind of discount then you can get these later)
Bumbo Baby Sitter+play tray
stroller(s) (Jogger, and umbrella w/recline are great for everyday use; we would've been lost without our jogger; Amazon will have a better selection, esp. of joggers)
baby carrier (so many more brands at Amazon that might not be available at BRUS like Ergo, Moby, and Beco)
diapers (if you can put down that you want a month of diapers or something at Amazon that would be cool too; I did auto ship my diapers from Amazon and loved it once my DD was born!)
high chair
Miracle Swaddling blanket
Robeez
Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster
diaper service quality diapers
Bumkins bibs
playmat (don't recommend the Fisher Price grow with me aquarium one; it's a pain to put together and really not that great; the square ones are better)
little aquarium for crib (DD loved this starting at about 6 mos.)