PDA

View Full Version : supplemening...what kind of formula?

amldaley
06-24-2009, 05:49 AM
ugh. drying up or have a low day, but I don't have the required ounces to leave for dd at daycare today. I need to stop and buy some premade formula...just enough to leave one "back-up" bottle.

Will try to get dd in time to prevent her having it, but today through next Tuesday is my busiest time of the year at work...like the 2nd week of April for a tax accountant.

So, what kind should I try? DD doesn't do well when I eat alot of dairy. I had to be dairy free for 8 + months and still only eat a little.

Recommendations for formula available at CVS or country-bumpkin Food Lion?

JBaxter
06-24-2009, 07:28 AM
We use the lactose fee similac sensitive but I just tried the parents choice ( walmart brand) lactose free and Jack did well on it. It looks the same ( texutre and color).

We tried soy with him but it was WICKEDLY constipating.

I know target also makes a lactose free in their store brand but I havent tried it yet.

My suggestion would be to try the Similac sensitive first and see how she does before you try soy.

Clarity
06-24-2009, 08:11 AM
When I had to supplement dd1, I used Nestle's Goodstart. I would mix the formula and breastmilk in each bottle so that she didn't notice so much.

scmama
06-24-2009, 11:31 AM
I used Nestle's Goodstart. I would mix the formula and breastmilk in each bottle so that she didn't notice so much.

This is exactly what I'm doing with DS. We are using the green good start with probiotics.

amldaley
06-25-2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks!! We tried the Sensitive first, so far so good. I only use the ounces I need to. We can try the Good Starts next as that is what would be provided free at daycare.

If I have a bottle with some breastmilk and some formula in it, and it has been refridgerated all day, can I save to use until tomorrow?

WatchingThemGrow
06-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks!! We tried the Sensitive first, so far so good. I only use the ounces I need to. We can try the Good Starts next as that is what would be provided free at daycare.

If I have a bottle with some breastmilk and some formula in it, and it has been refridgerated all day, can I save to use until tomorrow?

I wouldn't mix different brands. Just pick one and stick with it unless there is a problem.

Mixed formula is only good for 24 hours. I would think even less mixed with BM, but I don't know.

kijip
06-26-2009, 01:22 AM
Mixed formula is only good for 24 hours. I would think even less mixed with BM, but I don't know.

Fresh, never frozen milk lasts a few days in the fridge so while I don't think it lengthens the time formula is good for, I can't see that it would shrink the usable window for the formula. To avoid this dilemma, we feed in small increments, giving a little more if he needs it and not mixing it all up at the same time. We too only use a tiny bit of formula, and he is not really into it unless it's mixed with breastmilk.