PDA

View Full Version : Backpacks and lunch bags

bnme
06-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Thinking ahead to fall, I am just wondering what others are planning for backpacks and lunch bags.

My DS just finished half day kindy and had the small size LE classmate. I am not sure what to do for first grade. When I was a kid I remember getting a new 'school bag' every year. But they where from the drugstore and barely survived the one year. His backpack is still in perfect condition but I think he may need a bigger one.

He had no need for a lunch tote so I'll need to get that. Do your kids carry that separatley or stuff it in the backpack. I can't imagine a lunch tote would fit in there with all his first grade stuff. Any favorites?

I also need to get a bag for my younger DS heading into k.

So, anyone else planning for fall yet?

WatchingThemGrow
06-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Most of the LE backpacks have a lunchbox ring at the top and their lunchboxes have clips to hang on them. I'm sticking with those.

rlu
06-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Most of the LE backpacks have a lunchbox ring at the top and their lunchboxes have clips to hang on them. I'm sticking with those.

Similarly, you could use a carabiner to attach the lunch box to the backpack (ours have a fabric loop at the top).

eta: I just remembered that during our school tour they mentioned the lunchboxes stay separate from the backpacks in the classroom, so your DC will need to know how to unhook the lunchbox. Since we plan to walk with DS to and from school each day, we could just carry it separate.

bnme
06-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Is it bulky to carry them this way? Sounds like a good idea. I just noticed LE has some new sizes so now I have to go and mesure our one from last year as a comparison.

I am a little stumped on what size/shape for the lunch tote. We've never done bagged lunch, only snack. ANd he is super picky and won't go near a sandwich. I think I will need several containers for rolled ham, carrots, crackers, plus fruit, snack and drink.

WatchingThemGrow
06-25-2009, 05:44 PM
We haven't actually carried the lunchbox on the backpack more than a couple times, but we thought it was okay when we did. Nobody fell over backwards :applause:

These http://www.landsend.com/pp/ClassMateSmallHaulDeluxeLunchSack~198919_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::IKY&CM_MERCH=IDX_00004__0000000491&origin=index look like they will hold laptop lunchboxes and a drink on the outside. I think I'll order one tonight, just to see if they fit!

malphy
06-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Garnet hill has s deal right now, regular and junior backpacks -buy one get a lunch bag free.