PDA

View Full Version : Get out of my yard!!!

kijip
06-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Gosh, I am so rattled. I never leave strollers/bikes etc out but this morning T and F and I ate breakfast on the patio and I pushed the MBUS into the backyard to have a spot to put F. T was picked up my Grandpa to go to the beach for the low tides and I stayed outside, nursing and email/board/news site hopping. Since it got a little chilly I moved inside from outside hoping that would help F nap. Inside is just on an armchair in the office that opens to the backyard with a glass slider so I did not bother to move the stroller inside, since I am three feet from an open door to the yard and looked up not long ago to see a man in my backyard, looking at my stroller. I stood up and said "What do you think you are doing?! Get the hell out of here!!!" and he ran off. I called the non-emergency police line. I think (hope) he was going to steal our MBUS. I really hate to think that he was there to break in or attack anyone. Since he ran off when I noticed him, I don't think he noticed me until I shouted at him. Thank goodness I brought F in with me (duh) and he was not still in the stroller. Though I doubt this guy would have come into my yard if he saw a person but you never know.

It was not one of my neighbors from my townhouse development because I know them all by sight so I think it may have been someone from/visiting the building next door, they can see part of my yard from their balcony. Otherwise it was just someone wondering from yard to yard. (rather than someone who saw something they wanted and came to steal it because they thought no one was around.) I am worried that I can't trust the people on that side of the house now and need to keep the yard clear of anything that might be a good snatch and run. Most of the yards here are not accessible except through the house because we have privacy fences but my home is on the end so people can walk though my gate along side the house and to the backyard. I chose the end because it has more light, the units are bigger and the yard is bigger than the middle units.

Should I lock my gate from the inside (though this would be a PITA for us since we often walk into the yard first thing on getting home)? A lock seems sort of pointless because if someone wants to, they could jump the fence (though it is a high fence). We already take security precautions on the sliding door and downstairs windows. Also I am thinking about the things of value in my backyard. Maybe leaving my patio furniture and bbq out there is not a good idea, but it is not like I have anywhere to store it inside when not in use.

I sure am glad he was likely just a petty thief than someone who would do violence. That is the #1 thing of course.

Now I am creeped out and sitting inside with the door closed and locked.

trales
06-24-2009, 03:53 PM
I would consider some kind of locking system for your fence gate. Maybe a key or padlock on the outside. Is it a chainlink fence. Could you do stockade for some privacy plants. Since you enjoy being outside I would look into making your space private and safe.

I am really sorry this happened to you. I would have been freaked. BTW, what did the police say.

mamicka
06-24-2009, 03:55 PM
I would have been freaked. BTW, what did the police say.

I would be really freaked-out if that happened to me. I hope he was just an overly-curious passerby.

kijip
06-24-2009, 03:59 PM
BTW, what did the police say. Just took down my information and a description of the event/guy and said to be sure to lock my doors.

kijip
06-24-2009, 04:02 PM
I hope he was just an overly-curious passerby.

My house is in the back of 4 other townhouses and my yard not visible from the street in any direction. That is what really creeps me out because he had to walk down my driveway, past one set of houses and then all the way along the side of my yard. That is why I wonder if someone saw into my yard from the balcony next door.

It occurs to me that he could be mentally ill and not a thief. Who knows?!

trales
06-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Were there no other reports in the area to the police. If not I think I would feel a little better. Maybe an isolated thing.

Snow mom
06-24-2009, 04:41 PM
That's scary that someone tried to steal your stroller without being able to see it from the street. These "crimes of opportunity" happen a lot in my neighborhood but I like to think they involve things obviously left out or unlocked. I'd get a lock for your gate. Sure someone could still hop it, but I think a little deterrence goes a long way.

TwinFoxes
06-25-2009, 05:16 AM
I would definitely get a lock. Yeah someone could still jump the fence, but then they'd have to toss the stroller over it to steal it. Plus most thieves are lazy, they'd probably just move on to the next house. I would also let my neighbors know there's a prowler about.

One more reason I love my dog!

MamaMolly
06-25-2009, 10:04 AM
I would also let my neighbors know there's a prowler about.

This.

I'd march myself door to door in that unit and the one next door, babe in tow if I had to, and talk to the other neighbors. If it is someone living close by, they will be put on notice that the word is out, and even if it isn't they will be more likely to keep their eyes peeled.

I had an incident where my neighbor's live in adult alchoholic son knocked on my door one day to ask for money. He lied and said his mom's car had been broken into and they needed gas money to go to the police station and file a report. Yeah, like the police won't come to YOU. Duh. But I played along and reported the break in to the homeowner's association who called the police to step up patrols. HA. And later told him what I'd done. Double HA.

It sounds like a crime of opportunity to me, but there are sadly a lot of shmucky people out there. I think you need to alert your neighbors.

citymama
06-25-2009, 12:59 PM
That must have been scary! As a fellow urban mom, I empathize. I would lock all doors and take anything valuable off the porch, yes. Do you have a fence, or is it pretty easy for someone to just wander into the yard? If there's no fence or clear separation, it may have been a drifter/homeless person rather than a burglar, but you never know. Be careful!