PDA

View Full Version : What is your grocery store strategy?

BeachBum
06-24-2009, 03:45 PM
So yesterday I was pushing my guys in the stroller and pulling a cart behind me. LOL.
My other strategy is just to put the items in the bottom of the stroller if it is a quick trip.
My store doesn't have a cart that can fit two, until the kids are toddler age.
Other than leaving them home :) how to you do the grocery store?

Melaine
06-24-2009, 03:50 PM
I never found a fool-proof way and I get so aggravated at stores that have no or few double carts. I have pretty much abandoned shopping at stores that do not have double carts. A few times I have managed to hang bags of groceries from stroller hooks all around the stroller while shopping, then take it all out and pay, then put it back in and leave. But basically it is very difficult.

This is petty, but I also get REALLY annoyed at parents with one older kid riding in the double carts at publix just because it looks like a car. If there are no double carts I just have to turn around and go home. I realize it's not their fault, but it annoys me.

twowhat?
06-24-2009, 09:31 PM
I use the stroller basket for quick trips. I save big trips for weekends when my husband can help:)

I have not tried this, but on the twins magazine msg boards, someone said that she puts one car seat where you normally put it on the cart, and the second car seat sideways over the main cart compartment - the width of the cart is apparently perfect for this. But then what do you do when your babies outgrow their car seats??

The other idea I came across was to sit one baby in front of the cart, and sit the other baby in the main cart compartment using a strap-on booster seat, strapping it to the back of the cart. Then utilize the very bottom of the cart for large items.

http://www.target.com/dp/B00005N9X5/sr=1-1/qid=1245893333/ref=sr_fkmr_txt_2_1/178-2892209-3284166?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k:strap%20on%20booster&page=1

The thing I hate about all this is that you have to either park near a shopping cart return, or leave the babies in your car for a few seconds while you run to grab a shopping cart.

caheinz
06-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Cop out, but usually, DH takes big brother to the grocery store while I stay home with the twins...

fivi2
06-25-2009, 11:03 AM
honestly, I left the girls with dh and shopped alone until they were about 3 yo. (I would run in a store with the stroller for a few items when they were younger, but my big trips were always alone).

If you absolutely have to take them both, I think wearing one (sling, bjorn) and pushing one is the best option. (eta: I mean pushing in the car seat carrier up in the little seat area)

And ITA with pp - I get sooo annoyed when parents are pushing singletons in the double carts leaving none for those of us who need a double cart. One of my stores has single race cars and double race cars, which helps a little.

mamaoftwins
06-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Did not read responses - have to be quick. Sorry!

When the boys were smaller, like 12mos and under, I used the Graco Duoglider - two boys in stroller, huge stroller basket for groceries.

Since about 12mos, I wear one boy on my back in the Ergo, and one boy goes in a regular cart. I strap one boy on my back at the car, and then carry the other boy in my arms to the cart. The boys take turns on who goes where. This is the *best* way to do it for us, I have found. On occasion, we'll get into the store and find a double cart, and then both boys go in there and I just wear the empty Ergo.

HTH! It's such a pain to have to think these simple things through!! :)

Momof3Labs
06-25-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm also thinking one in a sling or carrier, and one in the cart (in the infant seat or sitting up - depending on where they are at developmentally). I'm not crazy about an infant seat perched on the top of a cart, but know that many people are fine with it. We always put the infant seat in the basket and just loaded groceries around it.

I can't believe that so many of you have double carts at grocery stores! Except Costco, I've only seen single carts around here. Most of the stores have car carts that may hold two kids, but toddlers and up, not infants the ages of the OP's.

My friend with three kids (singleton then twins, 14mo apart) said that she used to shop pushing the triple stroller and pulling a cart. Her DH works long hours so she had to figure out a method on her own, and that's what worked for her.

Melaine
06-25-2009, 02:32 PM
I can't believe that so many of you have double carts at grocery stores! Except Costco, I've only seen single carts around here. Most of the stores have car carts that may hold two kids, but toddlers and up, not infants the ages of the OP's.

Our kroger and Sams have double carts. The only other ones I know of are the toddler kinds, with the big seats.

longamkl
06-25-2009, 03:15 PM
So far, the only store we have really shopped in with the twins is Costco. My husband pushes them in the stroller and takes care of "Public Relations" while I zoom around the store and get what we need.

Other than that, I have only shopped on my own while he circles with the babies in the car in the parking lot.

I don't know when I'll be brave enough to try it on my own. I'm not confident that I'm strong enough to push their stroller and tow a grocery cart.

WatchingThemGrow
06-25-2009, 04:45 PM
can you get your groceries online? http://www.harristeeter.com/shopping/express_lane/express_lane.aspx

TwinFoxes
06-28-2009, 11:06 PM
I wimp out. I just do quick trips and stuff as much as I can into a hand-basket. Most of the stores around here don't have double carts, except Costco. There's a chain called "Wegmans" that has double carts, but they aren't very close to me (they are awesome btw.) The one time we put the girls in the cart they didn't seem to like it. That was a couple of months ago, and I'm actually planning a solo trip to Wegmans tomorrow, so I'll try it again.

TwinFoxes
06-28-2009, 11:07 PM
BTW, I love the term "public relations!" That is so funny, and we all know EXACTLY what you're talking about!

justincase
06-29-2009, 07:15 AM
This wasn't multiples, but I saw a mama in the store the other day with three LO's and a *lot* of groceries. She had two carts, pushing one and pulling one. Very little babe in his bucket in the bottom of one cart. Maybe 18 mo and 3 yo, one in each cart's seat. Groceries loaded in the cart without the babe. She looked frazzled.

My store just started doing the scanner thing where you don't have to unload everything to pay. Once you're used to it, it is a lifesaver when shopping with kiddos, IMO. Slows you down a bit along the way but you more than make up for it at the end when everyone's patience is frayed. Highly recommend!

neeleymartin
06-29-2009, 10:08 AM
So far, the only store we have really shopped in with the twins is Costco. My husband pushes them in the stroller and takes care of "Public Relations" while I zoom around the store and get what we need.

Other than that, I have only shopped on my own while he circles with the babies in the car in the parking lot.

I don't know when I'll be brave enough to try it on my own. I'm not confident that I'm strong enough to push their stroller and tow a grocery cart.

exactly what we do. we also have groceries delivered most recently. much easier.

TwinFoxes
07-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Well my trip to Wegmans was a success! I parked by the cart return, put them in two-seater cart, and off we went. They liked the cart much better this time. We went in late morning, so it wasn't super crowded. But boy did they attract attention, even more so than usual. It was my best grocery shopping trip yet. I did ALL of my shopping, and even got a sandwich from the deli without any grumpiness on their part. If my DH and I go together with one of us pushing a cart, usually the girls get sick of their stroller before we're done. I think they liked being up high in the cart where they could look around.

hobie
07-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Mostly I did the easy way out, and shop by myself. If I did need to shop with both babies, one would go in a carrier (hate bjorn, but love the moby for little guys!), and one would go in the cart. Having them split up also cuts down on the need for "public relations"!

DS#3 never rode in the cart, and is always in a carrier.

longamkl
07-02-2009, 05:33 PM
I went with my girlfriend to Trader Joe's the other day and tried putting each baby sitting up in their own cart. They loved it - I think they loved being up so high and looking around at everything. It wasn't a full shopping trip - still just a short stop but it was a huge success. They still caused a bit of a stir though. Now, if I could just find a good carrier so that I could try it on my own.

They are definitely too heavy for the Bjorn. C is 22.5 lbs now and E is 19.5 lbs.

gatorsmom
07-02-2009, 08:27 PM
I shop online and have them delivered. It's a little more expensive but they take coupons. www.cobornsdelivers.com (http://www.cobornsdelivers.com) . And I know that many have complained about the Double snapngo but man I LOVE that big basket!!! I can get a lot in there. The twins have just about outgrown their Safeseats so I'll be finally giving up the DSNG and am trying to figure out what I will do without it.