PDA

View Full Version : starting solids

ArizonaGirl
06-25-2009, 01:09 AM
DS is 6 months old and we have been doing rice cereal twice a day (due to reflux); however, we are going to add veggies to the mix.

My question is how many times a day do you nurse your 6 month old and do you nurse first then feed solids or vice versa? Can you give me specifics as far as a routine?

I am always worried about my milk supply because we had significant trouble in the beginning with our nursing relationship (he was a preemie) and had a low supply in the beginning and still struggle with that.

Any other info would be appreciated!

TIA

SnuggleBuggles
06-25-2009, 07:31 AM
At 6m old I was only offering solids once/ day, usually at dinner time. Breastmilk (or formula) is the thing they need most so I always made sure to get a good feeding in from that first. Usually I would nurse, then wait about an hour and do solids, then nurse again in 1-2 hours, depending on ds's needs/ wants.

I did not start doing solids 2 times/ day till he was closer to 8 months. Feeding solids is one chore I was happy to skip and since they don't really need the solids for nutrition I never stressed all that much about him getting them.

Beth

LMPC
06-25-2009, 01:49 PM
At 6m old I was only offering solids once/ day, usually at dinner time. Breastmilk (or formula) is the thing they need most so I always made sure to get a good feeding in from that first. Usually I would nurse, then wait about an hour and do solids, then nurse again in 1-2 hours, depending on ds's needs/ wants.

I did not start doing solids 2 times/ day till he was closer to 8 months. Feeding solids is one chore I was happy to skip and since they don't really need the solids for nutrition I never stressed all that much about him getting them.

Thanks Beth for saving me some typing :thumbsup: That's EXACTLY what I have done! I was also worried about supply but have not had any issues!

sunshine873
06-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Hi Lindsey,

I don't have any advice for you, I'm not there yet, but you said your DS was a preemie. My DD was a preemie too, so I'm wondering, what is your DS's adjusted age? Are you doing rice cereal and veggies based on advice of a pediatrician, or did you just decide it was time?

Please don't think I'm judging...I'm merely wondering what other moms of preemies do - when & why. There's so much advice out there for when to do what for full-term babies, but the preemie world is always a flux between real age and adjusted age. :)

Thanks!