PDA

View Full Version : Is Cow's Milk allowed on flight for a baby?

poppy
06-25-2009, 01:48 PM
First time flying with DS, who will be a little over 1 y.o.
In terms of milk, can you bring that with you on the flight?

If so, how do you need it packaged? OR do I have to bring formula, even if he'll be on cow's milk by then?

Thanks!

bubbaray
06-25-2009, 01:49 PM
We have had no problems flying to the US (clearing through US/TSA security at our Canadian airport) or flying home from the US with milk and a LOT of food for our children. We carry letters and epipens etc for their food allergies, but never once got asked for them. Not sure what will happen once our youngest is over 2.

poppy
06-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Did you bring the individually packaged milk that you can keep at room temperature? Or is there something better?

Thanks again!

bubbaray
06-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Nope. I brought empty sippy cups and filled them with milk from Starbucks once we were through security. However, we brought through yogurt and water for them and were told that milk would have been fine too. If you are worried, take empty sippies/bottles and get milk on the other side of security. Depends on the airport I guess, be we had no problems getting milk at Vancouver International, Maui and LAX. I'd probably take the milk and see how it goes.

FWIW, make sure you go through the Family line at security. They are really nice to families with young children IME.

Piglet
06-25-2009, 02:10 PM
I always bring an emnpty bottle/sippy and right as I board the plane ask the FA to fill it with milk. They have always obliged.

DebbieJ
06-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Most airlines have milk onboard. Visit your airlines website and check. Otherwise you can buy some in the airport after you pass through security.

Last summer I was able to bring DS's smaller sized yogurt through MDW, but my larger container was confiscated.

Momof3Labs
06-25-2009, 04:24 PM
www.tsa.gov (http://www.tsa.gov) tells you what you can and cannot do (never hurts to print out the rule you are following in case you are asked to throw something ut at security). You can get milk after security in almost any major airport, if you decide to go that route instead.

To keep the milk cold, throw in a couple of cheap packages of frozen veggies, like peas. Then you don't have to argue whether your ice packs are allowed, as they are technically a liquid/gel, but there are certain times when they are allowed (see above website).

connor_mommy
06-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Since your child is young, you should have no trouble at all. I did get questioned whether the yogurt I had was for me or my son who was about 2.5 at the time. I think it would be easier to bring packaged milk instead of having it in a sippy and needing to keep it cool. However, you can only get lowfat milk packaged. Whole Foods carries some that are not flavored with vanilla. I believe it's Organic Valley.

poppy
06-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Thank you for the replies. Very good info.

nmosur
06-29-2009, 09:59 PM
On our trip to UK I took Pediasure with on the flight both ways - no problem at the US airport. In UK, security made me open the bottle and taste the milk before they let me take it inside. So be prepared to open and taste any liquids you take.

Naveen

jgenie
06-29-2009, 10:22 PM
I just traveled with an unopened bottle of pediasure for DS (17 mo) and had no problems at security - just be sure to declare it.

jent
06-29-2009, 11:04 PM
. However, you can only get lowfat milk packaged. Whole Foods carries some that are not flavored with vanilla.

Our grocery store sells whole milk packaged.

A few months ago, I forgot to empty DD's sippy cup before security (it only had water in it). The screener took it out and I apologized and said they could dump it. They said not to worry and did some kind of test on it-- waved a tester over the opened cup, without sticking it *in* the cup, & then gave it back to me.

They didn't even seem to notice her yogurt cup.