PDA

View Full Version : How will int'l trip affect breastfeeding?

ormc
06-26-2009, 05:16 AM
Hi! I'm going overseas (13 hour time difference) for about 6 weeks right after my DS turns 5 months old. I'm worried about how this will affect my supply, since basically days and nights will be switched for that time, then have to switch back.

Currently his night schedule is that he goes down at 6pm, eats once around 2am, and is up for the day around 7am. So, he's not eating much at night.

How will my body adjust to the time difference? I have a friend who weaned her DS just for this reason. I really don't want to wean and am prepared to deal with jet lag, etc. I just want to know what to expect and the best way to get through it as far as nursing is concerned.

Momof3Labs
06-26-2009, 06:59 AM
I think that the simple answer is to just keep on nursing - your supply will respond to his demand. You'll be amazed and impressed at how well your body responds as long as you keep on nursing. If you have problems with engorgement, then considering pumping. If you feel that your supply is dropping off, then you might also add a pumping or two to your day to better stimulate your supply.

Try not to give in to supplementing, either with formula or solids, as that is probably more likely to mess up your supply than a time change.

stillplayswithbarbies
06-26-2009, 12:37 PM
I think it will just work itself out as he adjusts to the time difference. Just continue to nurse on his cues and your body will respond. I think you will be surprised at how easily your body adjusts.

lowrioh
06-26-2009, 01:28 PM
I went overseas (7 hour time difference) when DD was exactly 5 months old and had no problems. I was exclusively BF and now that I think about it the BF probably made the whole trip 100 times easier because I didn't need to worry about bottles, getting formula, water etc. I did get engorged once but I had brought a little hand-pump which worked great for reducing the pressure. My supply kept up with demand without a hitch.
I did take a frozen bottle of breast milk with me to the airport just in case I had problems nursing on the plane but I actually never used it.
If you have questions about international travel with a baby at that agel PM me and I will let you know my experience....it was pretty positive.

longtallsally05
06-26-2009, 06:22 PM
I just did a 14-hour time zone difference move w/ a 4 month-old and it was no big deal. We made a few adjustments, but it certainly it wasn't worth weaning. The baby was only waking 1x night prior to the move, and we never considered using bottles on the airplanes. Frankly, I think if you use bottles on the airplane you are setting yourself up for problems (engorgement, plugged ducts etc). Once we arrived at our destination the baby was agreeable about waking to nurse when I wanted him to, so that cut down on my having to wake up to nurse when he wanted to. The baby adjusted to jet lag at the same rate as I did. In fact, the baby adjusted to the new time zone better than our three year-old. My recommendation is to keep nursing, keep your baby close to you and nurse as necessary. It will all work out in about a week or two.

ormc
06-26-2009, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words! I wasn't planning to bring my pump with me (I also will have my 2 year old with me so I'm trying to limit the amount of stuff I have to carry around) but have thought about renting one once I get there if I need it. I've already told my MIL who we're staying with to be prepared to help me as much as possible with the 2yo so I can devote time to the baby to get him adjusted. Now I just need to trust her "help" but that's another story for another post!

Its kind of a nice thought to have an excuse to lay around with the baby for a few days and just let him nurse and get adjusted to the new schedule!