PDA

View Full Version : Pegboard?

Charlie
06-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Can anyone recommend a pegboard suitable for a 13 month old? Or is this more of a toy for older toddlers? DS really enjoys manipulative toys and I was thinking of getting one.

Thanks for any info!

kayte
06-26-2009, 03:16 PM
We have this one.. I think we got it about 15 months, but I know friend's that had it with younger ones....

http://www.amazon.com/Patch-Products-Tall%252dStacker-Pegs-Pegboard/dp/B00000J4HK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1246043621&sr=8-8

(Apparently Lauri Toys --who makes ours and this one--have been bought out by Patch Products-- their website redirects. But I mention it incase you are looking at a B&M store-- the packaging might say Lauri.)

brittone2
06-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Most will be choking hazards still...YMMV with how you feel if you are right there with her, but 13 months is still pretty early. Lauri brand makes one but I'm not sure of the age range on it. Discovery Toys had one as well...again not sure of the age range. I'm guessing both are 3+, but I'd personally be okay with using them earlier with my own kids. However, there's definitely a potential for choking, especially w/ a child so young.
You could check for some Montessori type toys for other fine motor activities (peg puzzles with the small peg would be challenging in a similar way without being as much of a choking hazards. Maybe something like latches boards, etc. to grow into? Lacing beads to grow into? Nesting/stacking cups? Ring stacker? Simple shape sorter (some have just 3 shapes vs. 10 different ones).

kristac
06-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Most will be choking hazards still...YMMV with how you feel if you are right there with her, but 13 months is still pretty early. Lauri brand makes one but I'm not sure of the age range on it. Discovery Toys had one as well...again not sure of the age range. I'm guessing both are 3+, but I'd personally be okay with using them earlier with my own kids. However, there's definitely a potential for choking, especially w/ a child so young.
You could check for some Montessori type toys for other fine motor activities (peg puzzles with the small peg would be challenging in a similar way without being as much of a choking hazards. Maybe something like latches boards, etc. to grow into? Lacing beads to grow into? Nesting/stacking cups? Ring stacker? Simple shape sorter (some have just 3 shapes vs. 10 different ones).

I was in Learning Express today and saw one Lauri set that was 2+, the others were 3+ but it did not look like the pegs were different size just more "advanced" activities.

Charlie
06-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks for your responses! I really like the Lauri pegboard but think I will wait on that one for a few months. Does anyone have the Learning Resources Stacking Shapes Pegboard? I know it says for ages 3 and up but it looks large and there are no choking warnings -

http://www.learningresources.com/product/stacking+shapes+pegboard.do?search=basic&keyword=stacking+shapes&sortby=best&asc=true&page=1

I hadn't thought about a latches board - that's something to look into!

neeleymartin
06-27-2009, 08:58 PM
i LOVE this one on etsy. looks like it would be very suitable for your situation. also love that its just wood, with beeswax. okay to put in mouth. size seems good too.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=26238647

hth

traciann
06-28-2009, 12:05 AM
We have the Discovery Toys pegboard (age 18 months)and its almost identical to the Learning Resouces one. My 7 month old was just playing with it tonight. I feel completely comfortable with her playing with the pegs, they are quite large.

brittone2
06-28-2009, 09:29 AM
i LOVE this one on etsy. looks like it would be very suitable for your situation. also love that its just wood, with beeswax. okay to put in mouth. size seems good too.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=26238647

hth

wow, that's absolutely gorgeous. <drool>. Off to etsy to do some dreaming now that you got me started ;) (my dd is too old for that toy, but wow, it is gorgeous!)