PDA

View Full Version : scissors for beginner

neeleymartin
06-26-2009, 09:16 PM
looking for a pair of scissors that my 2yr old can start to learn on. tia

ltmommy
06-27-2009, 12:05 PM
DD's preschool teacher recommended the ones from the dollar store. They have worked great for us! I even bought a second pair in case the first broke quickly, but we haven't needed them yet.

Nooknookmom
06-27-2009, 07:18 PM
In my exp. anything w/ a rounded tip and the correct size finger holes works fine. DD (2) loves to "cut" playdough w/ hers, just cheapies and they work great!

neeleymartin
06-27-2009, 08:08 PM
thanks for the replies. i will be heading to the dollar store first thing in the am.

i love the idea of cutting playdoh. i know ds will love it too.

thanks

brittone2
07-04-2009, 10:08 AM
We like Fiskars.

I am going to try the plastic blade fiskars (like 1.75 to add onto a homeschooling order I have in a cart for DS). Supposedly they only cut paper...not hair or anything else (I have a strong feeling my 2.5 year old will decide to snip her own hair in the near future ;) ). They also have My First Fiskars which spring back open on their own...I've read mixed reviews but they might be interesting to try.

DS started w/ just regular blunt/rounded tip metal Fiskars. I find in general better scissors work better for us (and Fiskars are still reasonably priced)

ett
07-04-2009, 03:18 PM
We have the My First Fiskars scissors.

neeleymartin
07-04-2009, 08:45 PM
We have the My First Fiskars scissors.

how do you like them?

fivi2
07-06-2009, 10:30 AM
We like Fiskars.

I am going to try the plastic blade fiskars (like 1.75 to add onto a homeschooling order I have in a cart for DS). Supposedly they only cut paper...not hair or anything else (I have a strong feeling my 2.5 year old will decide to snip her own hair in the near future ;) ). They also have My First Fiskars which spring back open on their own...I've read mixed reviews but they might be interesting to try.

DS started w/ just regular blunt/rounded tip metal Fiskars. I find in general better scissors work better for us (and Fiskars are still reasonably priced)

Had to laugh at this! About the time my girls turned 3, I came into the playroom to find a huge chunk of hair on the playroom floor next to the scissors :) It took forever for me to figure whose hair it was and who had done the cutting! I actually had to take them into different rooms and interrogate them. (One had done it to herself and not her sister, fortunately!).

I don't remember our brand of scissors, but they aren't small enough anyway! I need a different pair. (and to better supervise :) )

lkarp
09-11-2009, 03:51 PM
We started off with a pair of Fiskars. I really like how the handle really fits the shape of their small hands, but Mila had a hard time opening them up again after making a cut. I'm intrigued by the spring loaded ones.

We've also used baby manicure scissors and those were much easier for her to open and close.

juno
09-22-2009, 09:53 AM
When it comes to cutting paper, I only use Fiskars for the kids. However, one great thing I've found is to use clays and doughs for repeatable practice cutting. Recently I've been making egg-less cookie dough (no fear of salmonella). It's so much fun for the little one to cut and eat. I use a pair of plastic scissors (I think they may have come from a clay tools set or such) so I can wash them when done.