PDA

View Full Version : Canada Day events?

EllasMum
06-26-2009, 10:13 PM
I never seem to think about Canada Day events until the last minute. This is probably the first year DD might actually get anything out of the events. I know there is usually something at Canada Olympic Park and other spots in town. What do you all do for Canada Day? Anything special?

bubbaray
06-26-2009, 10:42 PM
I PMd you with what we do! :)

In previous years, the girls have worn their Canada Day outfits (typically from Please Mum -- being patriotic!). This year, they have PM outfits (purchased last year on sale in the next size up) and I also got them cheapo t-shirts from SuperStore. DH and I have Canada t-shirts and Roots hats.

We used to always take our red BJCSD, but I recently sold that, so I think this year, we might take our red Radio Flyer wagon. I was thinking I could find some red and white pompom thingies (like used on wedding cars) and I already got the girls Canada Day pinwheels.

Oh, and DH always puts his Canadian window flags on the vehicles.

:)

I'm thinking of making this: http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipes/canadian-flag-cake-86399.aspx

Here is a whole menu: http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/Entertaining/HolidaysEvents/CanadaDayMenu.aspx?cm_mmc=eml-_-csc-_-canada_day_favs-_-i

Of course, it would be easier to just throw some burgers on the grill and sit around drinkin' some Molsons or Labatts. LOL. (just kidding -- I'm a Sleemans girl myself).

MontrealMum
06-26-2009, 11:12 PM
We don't typically do a whole lot as we're in Quebec, but DH has befriended a couple from AB w/ a DD the same age as our DS so we may go for a ride or have them over to grill - very Canadian! I'm a fan of Sleeman's myself, so I imagine some of that might be involved too :) And we also enjoy catching fireworks from our balcony - hope they don't change the venue this year!

I spent Canada Day one time in Ottawa w/ a roomie who is from there, and all I can say is WOW! What a blast!

mom2binsd
06-27-2009, 03:24 PM
I was lucky to grow up in Ottawa (my mom worked on Parliament Hill and we used to be able to sit on the roof of the West Block and watch the fireworks and enjoy treats compliments of the MP's.) Later on we loved going downtown and walking around and seeing all the CANADA patriotism flowing through the streets (and the beer seemed to flowing pretty good too!)

Now that we're in the US we put as many flags out as we can, don all of our ROOTS and Canada attire (I have a special pair of bikini undies I wear only on this day! alas only DH can see them!).

We invite all our fellow Canucks and drink only CANADIAN beer, and only play CANADIAN CD's- DH loves to play Loverboy, and it gives me an excuse to play my Corey Hart CD! We also have The Hip and other cool stuff.