PDA

View Full Version : Whew! 6 months.

kijip
06-27-2009, 12:53 AM
It's been 6 months of work but I made it here pretty much exclusively breastfeeding. He gets some pumped milk and a bit of formula if we don't have a lot from the pump but he is mostly breastfed by a large margin. Formula is 2-4 ounces and not everyday. After having not been able to overcome low supply issues at all with T (who never got more than 1/3-1/2 of his calories from breastmilk), this is such a YAY thing for me. And I managed it with a baby born early and while juggling a huge family situation and postpartum mood disorder. It feels great and I have a lot of hope I will be able to continue well past 1 year. Also, I have been getting more at the pump lately so we are thinking we will be able to ixnay the bit of formula he gets.

I am just so darn relieved that it was a bit easier this time and that the troubleshooting worked this time. We have a baby meeting his milestones, more than double his birthweight by a fair bit and who has grown a lot (especially WRT head circumference and length).

It's nice to have a successful, less stressful feeding situation.

(FTR- I have nothing against formula, I am just celebrating my success with breastfeeding when it is not an easy thing. I have a brilliant, adorable, healthy as a horse child that was mostly raised on formula. It's great stuff if needed/chosen.)

stillplayswithbarbies
06-27-2009, 12:59 AM
Great job, Katie. :) Congrats!

DebbieJ
06-27-2009, 01:11 AM
Great job Katie! You are doing awesome!

WatchingThemGrow
06-27-2009, 01:41 AM
Way to go, Katie! BFing challenges -or life challenges while BF are hard to overcome. I've got my eye on 6 mos, but seeing as how it is only day 20, I should set my sights lower this time. Boo supply issues. They are real and no fun at all. But YAY you two!!

caheinz
06-27-2009, 02:43 AM
Congrats, Katie! Sounds like this part of life has been less troublesome this time around, and it's good to hear it!

egoldber
06-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheerleader1:

kijip
06-27-2009, 09:41 AM
life challenges while BF are hard to overcome.

Life is life. While I have faced a couple of hard things in the last 6 months, overall things are pretty relaxed and comfortable. Most people will lose a parent at some point and we had the amazing experience of caring for her directly + an enormous amount of support from an excellent hospice. I miss her but I feel privileged to have had the resources we did to navigate it and that after 14 years with a hard disease, she lived as long as she did and met 7 grandchildren. Plus, while dealing with postpartum mood disorder was hard, it has given me more empathy for people with depression. Looking back, I was not very understanding of people that were sad or anxious a lot and I didn't understand while they couldn't just deal with it. So having to face a little of that for the first time (hopefully only time) I think has made me a better person.

In someways breast-feeding has been a nice, regular break. I get to sit down 6+ times a day and drink a glass of water. :)

BeccaB.
06-27-2009, 02:36 PM
That's awesome. Go you! I have a six month old too and we only made it to 4 months. We tried everything the lactation consultant recommended but my milk never really came in the way it was suppose to. Your post gives me some hope that maybe we can make it work next time.

kdeunc
06-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Great job Katie! I am on month 11 with DD after many early problems including tongue tie surgery. This is much longer than either of her brothers. I know how exciting it is to feel you have turned a corner and can achieve your goal (whatever that is, mine is a year). Happy Nursing!! :)

justincase
06-27-2009, 08:33 PM
In someways breast-feeding has been a nice, regular break. I get to sit down 6+ times a day and drink a glass of water. :)
:yeahthat:
Congratulations! Wishing you and your DS many more peaceful "glasses of water" in the coming months.

kijip
06-27-2009, 08:42 PM
I am on month 11 with DD after many early problems including tounge tie surgery. This is much longer than either of her brothers. I know how exciting it is to feel you have turned a corner and can achieve your goal (whatever that is, mine is a year). Happy Nursing!! :)

I'd like to go to 1 year and then see how I am feeling about it then and how F is feeling about it then. I am not opposed to nursing a 2 or 3 year old but since T was totally on formula about this far along, I have no idea how I will feel about it when it actually happens. I think I learned one thing with T and that is you don't know what will happen, till it happens, LOL.

Congrats on being so close to 1 year. :applause:

Nooknookmom
06-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Awesome job!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) It makes you feel sooooooo *accomplished* and happy!!

SnuggleBuggles
06-28-2009, 07:22 AM
Excellent job!! :)

Beth

kdeunc
06-28-2009, 04:19 PM
[QUOTE=kijip;2405620] I think I learned one thing with T and that is you don't know what will happen, till it happens, LOL. QUOTE]

No kidding! :) DH still seems to be under the impression that all of our children should be alike, sleeping through the night at the same age, etc. You would think he would have learned by now.