PDA

View Full Version : Carrot intolerrance

BeccaB.
06-28-2009, 04:46 PM
Does anyone else's dc do badly with carrots? We gave them to DS about 3 weeks ago. He spit them up - vomitted I guess. Then I found undigested baby food lumps of carrots in his diaper. Did this happen to anyone else's DC? I thought carrots were suppose to be easy on them.

amandabea
06-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Not that this helps, but I have a carrot allergy -- I get an itchy throat and have difficulty breathing. DD has no problems however.

stillplayswithbarbies
06-28-2009, 06:16 PM
due to nitrates, homemade carrots are supposed to be given later. I think commercially prepared carrots have the nitrates removed but homemade carrots do not.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/carrotsbabyfoodrecipes.html

o_mom
06-28-2009, 06:32 PM
The vomiting would worry me, but on the other end of things... you will probably find many, many undigested carrots and other veges for a long, long time. Carrots, peas, corn, etc, all tend to come through whole.

cestkaren
06-28-2009, 11:51 PM
I think it is recommended to give carrots at 8+ months. The baby food manufacturers check for nitrates levels, but I don't believe they 'remove' the nitrates. Nitrates are naturally occuring in carrots and can use up oxygen, I by 8 months, this is no longer much of a concern. OP, did you try carrots again? Maybe wait a few weeks and try again or talk to your doctor before trying again. I always feed the new food in the mornings, in case of any problems.

BeccaB.
06-30-2009, 02:45 PM
I never heard that about nitrate in home made carrots. The ones I feed him were jarred. I did make him so home made ones. But I guess I won't feed him those. Thanks for the info. I'll do some research on it.

alirebco
06-30-2009, 08:55 PM
The vomiting would worry me, but on the other end of things... you will probably find many, many undigested carrots and other veges for a long, long time. Carrots, peas, corn, etc, all tend to come through whole.

I find all sorts of undigested food in DS's diaper and we do cloth so I see it up close! I wouldn't be too concerned about it coming up in the poop but I would call the pedi about the vomiting.