PDA

View Full Version : If you give your child rice milk, how concerned are you...

HIU8
06-29-2009, 09:46 AM
about the studies that have found arsenic in the milk? Are you switching your DC to another type of milk? If so, which type? DD drinks rice milk. She cannot drink cow's milk or soy milk. I have not tried Almond milk as she likes the rice milk, but I'm now concerned due to recent posts about studies showing arsenic in the rice milk.

alirebco
06-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Have you tried hemp milk? The Living Harvest brand is great!

HIU8
06-29-2009, 12:40 PM
I did and DD loves it. It's $3.99 compared to $2.16 for the rice milk (not a huge deal). I'm just wondering how concerned I should be based on the thread from a week or so ago about it. I found basically the same information, and I was wondering if I was missing any information about it.

alirebco
06-29-2009, 12:54 PM
I did and DD loves it. It's $3.99 compared to $2.16 for the rice milk (not a huge deal). I'm just wondering how concerned I should be based on the thread from a week or so ago about it. I found basically the same information, and I was wondering if I was missing any information about it.

You mean concern about the rice milk? I would be concerned if we used it but we don't. I know it is less expensive, but I stock up on the hemp milk when it's on sale at $3 each. Plus it is better nutritionally. I haven't heard anything else about it, but those studies were enough to scare me, especially if she is drinking it often and not just on occasion.

HIU8
06-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Where do you get the hemp milk for $3? I can only find it at whole foods.

alirebco
06-29-2009, 01:40 PM
I got it on sale at WF for 3 bucks a pop. This was a couple of weeks ago. We also have another natural market here that has it for 3.49 regularly.

HIU8
06-29-2009, 02:02 PM
DD seemed to like it, so I'm probably going to switch. She drinks a lot of rice milk, so it's probably the best thing I can do.

MamaMolly
06-29-2009, 03:39 PM
IIWY I'd go ahead and switch since DD enjoys it. I'll have to recheck the prices in my area. Last time I checked around here it was a ton more expensive, more than double. I was actually looking for an alternative to soy at the time, and chose rice. :banghead:

From what I've read it is much healthier than rice or soy.

egoldber
06-29-2009, 06:36 PM
FYI, I recently saw hemp milk as a new item at my Trader Joe.

HIU8
06-29-2009, 07:02 PM
Wow. I forgot about Trader Joes. There is one pretty much next door to the wholefoods.

stillplayswithbarbies
06-29-2009, 08:33 PM
stupid question, but how the heck do they get milk from hemp?