PDA

View Full Version : I will NEVER use those Target carts designed for two children to sit up front!!!!!

HIU8
06-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Yesterday I took DS and DD to Target. DH had to get some work done and DD decided she didn't need to nap and I had to go shopping. DS and DD wanted to use one of those carts where both children sit up front and are strapped in (outside of the cart). DS is in the seat for 5 minutes and decides he wants to walk. Ok, so now he walks and I'm pushing this monster cart that someone else with multiple children probably wants to use (and I could just use a regular cart). Then, DD starts yelling she wants to walk. NOTE: DD cannot walk in a store b/c she bolts EACH.AND.EVERY.TIME. So, I tell her no. She takes off her shoes, throws them and gets out of the harness and stands up. I get her down and situated again and she does it again (at this point I was pretty much done shopping). At the checkout line DS starts screaming at the top of his lungs that he is hungry and wants candy and only candy. Well NO! So I have to deal with him screaming and DD trying to bolt off the cart. DS finally gets placed in the back of the cart on top of my bagged merchandise and DD gets held like a football while I try to maneuver this monster cart out to my car. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From now on I go shopping alone or DH goes with both children and I get to stay home!@!!

Twoboos
06-29-2009, 11:28 AM
I always say maneuvering those carts is like driving a Mack Truck!!

LarsMal
06-29-2009, 11:52 AM
I could've written this post word for word, except I also have DD2 in the Bjorn! Makes the football carry that much more fun!!

HIU8
06-29-2009, 11:56 AM
I usually only take DD with me. She is fine when strapped into the regular cart. It's when I have to take both--on days I'm giving DH a break so he can get projects done (not around the house projects--extra $$ projects) without distractions. From now on I will take the kids to the park/playground instead and then go shopping when DH can watch them!

Ceepa
06-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Why do we all seem to have *those* Target stories? lol

Melaine
06-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Those carts are a necessary evil, at least at my house.

hellokitty
06-29-2009, 03:12 PM
I hate those carts too. I always seem to bump into something every time I try to make a turn steering those things. I had JUST gotten to the point where we don't need to use those carts anymore, but once baby #3 is here, we may have to revert back, b/c I don't know if I can keep an eye on my older two, with the baby too.

Indianamom2
06-29-2009, 03:40 PM
I refuse to use those carts anymore. I think they must be pretty uncomfy, because my DD would NEVER, EVER stay put in them. They are also horrible to steer.

Our Meijer store has a better concept. It's like a bench seat that attaches in front of where you would push the cart. It's great for older kids and I think an adult might be able to use it. The cart pushes like a longer regular cart.

Christina

MamaMolly
06-29-2009, 03:54 PM
I used one of those with DD and her cousin and like you, never again! It was impossible to steer, the girls wanted to get out and could slip right out of the belts. Not safe IMO.

I also hate the car/carts at the grocery store. It is like steering a buggy with square wheels. DD is fine for about 5 minutes then forget it. She's trying to crawl out and gets various limbs twisted and tangled as she squirms out of the buckles and screams.

Mom2Jack
06-29-2009, 03:58 PM
I have to REALLY REALLY want to shop to bring both kids. I totally can't control those big carts. At this point I use a regular cart and let me 5 year old sit in the big basket part while my 2 year old is in the seat part. When I checkout half of my purchases are opened (snacks I've grabbed and given to them in a desperate attempt to finish shopping). I'm sure the cashiers love me.

salsah
06-29-2009, 06:22 PM
that was us the last few times we went to target.

i HATE those carts and the ones at the grocery store with the car in front. the kids love them, beg for them, and then refuse to ride in them. shopping with our dc is hard enough w/o having to deal with a cart that is impossible to steer.

JTsMom
06-29-2009, 06:56 PM
This post is cracking me up b/c those are the only carts DS will willingly ride in (sometimes). He calls them freight cars (I guess they look like a train to him). I will do anything to get him to ride in a cart, so I love them! They are a pain to steer, but nowhere near the pain it is to keep DS from running off, touching something, etc.

Nobody ever uses them around here, so even though they should probably be used for 2+ kids, I don't feel badly using one b/c otherwise they just sit there.

Corie
06-29-2009, 09:53 PM
My kids know to not even ask to ride in those carts.

Too many mishaps and me getting ticked off.

Never again.

aa2mama
06-29-2009, 11:09 PM
I'm sorry! Are you sure you didn't mistakenly take my children to the store with you?

nov04
06-30-2009, 11:24 PM
btdt!!!! I can sympathize.

brittone2
07-01-2009, 03:34 PM
I hate them too. My 2.5 year old is always wanting in/out or is trying to hang and do gymnastics from the cart handle. I can't deal with it so I just don't shop there that often, or I go w/ DH and the kids end up sent to the car to hang out with him if they can't handle riding without acting like monkeys.

Gena
07-01-2009, 04:26 PM
I've been avoiding using those carts, but I may have to soon. I only have one kid, but DS is really too big to ride in the regular cart-seat and can't be trusted to walk and stay with me. I imagine those seats have a higher weight limit so I can keep DS riding for a while longer.

tryin
07-07-2009, 02:31 PM
I thought I was the only mean mommy. I REFUSE to use those carts from target or the grocery store. They are soooo heavy with just one child. My DD gets so upset by it and then, of course, anothe parent strolls by with their kids happily playing in the cart.

I'm feeling much better knowing that it's not just me, Shopping can be hard enough without the added wrestling match and pull contest with that cart.

WatchingThemGrow
07-07-2009, 03:30 PM
I actually used one of them today in my first *official* outing with all 3 DC by myself. After being sick of not having any gentle Cetaphil bar soap, I ventured over to Target. DD said, "Hey, what is this place?" and I felt GREAT about not being an addict. That massive cart helped me keep all 3 DC contained while we checked out some clearance items in the baby dept. and bought 3 whopping bars of soap. I left it in the parking lot for some other mama to love or hate.

Why do they keep them inside and not in the parking lot where real parents can use them to safely get into the store?

ShanaMama
07-07-2009, 09:23 PM
I have to REALLY REALLY want to shop to bring both kids. I totally can't control those big carts. At this point I use a regular cart and let me 5 year old sit in the big basket part while my 2 year old is in the seat part. When I checkout half of my purchases are opened (snacks I've grabbed and given to them in a desperate attempt to finish shopping). I'm sure the cashiers love me.

This is my! Except I always go with both kids, DH is rarely available to watch them so I can go alone. I am loving this thread because IRL I feel like I am the only one who treats a trip to Target like an outing to the moon. I dread it, endless preparing, diaper bag, snacks, etc & then I am buying something in every aisle just to keep them happy.

KrisM
07-07-2009, 09:38 PM
I refuse to use those carts anymore. I think they must be pretty uncomfy, because my DD would NEVER, EVER stay put in them. They are also horrible to steer.

Our Meijer store has a better concept. It's like a bench seat that attaches in front of where you would push the cart. It's great for older kids and I think an adult might be able to use it. The cart pushes like a longer regular cart.

Christina

Our Meijer has those too. I break a sweat pushing them though. Between the cart, 100 pounds of kid, and groceries, it weighs a ton. Plus, none of them push well empty - they're rusty and awful. It's like driving a bus.

KrisM
07-07-2009, 09:42 PM
I actually used one of them today in my first *official* outing with all 3 DC by myself. After being sick of not having any gentle Cetaphil bar soap, I ventured over to Target. DD said, "Hey, what is this place?" and I felt GREAT about not being an addict. That massive cart helped me keep all 3 DC contained while we checked out some clearance items in the baby dept. and bought 3 whopping bars of soap. I left it in the parking lot for some other mama to love or hate.

Why do they keep them inside and not in the parking lot where real parents can use them to safely get into the store?

I complained a few times to our Meijer store manager that they kept those carts outside all the time. I don't need a snow covered seat for my kids to sit on! They finally found a place to put them in the store. Yes, I did thank him the next time I saw him in the store, too.

maestramommy
07-08-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm afraid of those carts. Dora started asking to sit in them while I was preggo and I told her it was only for big kids.:p