PDA

View Full Version : DS not interested in holding bottles or cups

ku9296
06-29-2009, 11:01 AM
DS is 10 months old and he is still not interested in holding the bottle, cup, etc, compared against other babies his age at daycare who all started holding their own bottles around 6-7 mos. I am currently trying to transition him from bottle-feeding to drinking from a cup (using a small paper cup) but he does not show any signs of wanting to hold the cup himself. I actually tried using a couple different sippy cups (Nuby, Gerber, etc.) before introducing the cup but he just won't take any sippy cups (seems to hate the spout, whether hard or soft) so I am having him practice driking from cups instead.

He does a decent job drinking out of a cup (albeit some spilling here and there) but he just sits there waiting for me to give him the cup. Should I just continue to practice the cup-drinking until he shows interest in holding it himself?

DS is developmentally on the slower side (hasn't started crawling yet) but he plays with his small toys perfectly fine (e.g. he can toss things from one hand to another and can bring up toys to his mouth to lick them); it's just that when it comes to his feedings, he's simply not interested in feeding himself (he's not interested in finger food either) or holding the bottle/cup etc.

Any ideas/tips would be appreciated. TIA!

DebbieJ
06-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Try a straw cup. The Take N Toss ones are great b/c they are so light.

la mama
06-29-2009, 10:40 PM
I don't have any advice but just wanted to say that it sounds like you're describing my DS. He is the exact same way. My DD holds her bottle sometimes but not consistently. I figure they learn when ready but I'd also appreciate any other advice people have to give on the subject. I'll try those straw cups I think.

twowhat?
06-29-2009, 11:21 PM
I would say it's not a concern unless your ped says that it is.

My twins are almost 10 months old (born full term so they should theoretically be on a normal developmental track). One holds her straw cup and feeds herself finger foods like a champ. The other doesn't hold her straw cup, and is not that interested in finger foods unless it it certain fruits, or graham crackers. She also will not feed herself. If it's something she is interested in that I put on her tray, she will face-plant on the tray to get the food to her mouth. It is funny, but so frustrating for me to watch because she can pick up the food just fine - just won't bring it to her mouth! Both girls drink from an open cup, with some spilling, but neither will hold an open cup. Both started crawling only in the last few days.

One of my friends has an 11 month old who does not yet hold her own bottle. Every baby is different!

bubbaray
06-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Have you tried a sippy cup with handles like the Playtex First Sipster? Alternatively, straw cups like the Playtex Straw sipster.

larig
06-30-2009, 12:45 AM
my 12 month old DS never held his own bottle, well, he did once (so exciting I woke DH up). I know he can do it, he would simply rather not. He's great doing other stuff with his hands, so I know it's not that he can't it's just that he won't. (He was also a late crawler, but he rolls around like a champ now.) I expect him to be a late walker too--I walked at 16 months.

Neatfreak
06-30-2009, 04:30 AM
Have you tried a sippy cup with handles like the Playtex First Sipster?

Yeah, have you tried handles? My little one is 8.5 months, and is much more successful now that I have a cup with handles for her!

ku9296
06-30-2009, 06:19 AM
Many thanks for your replies--to answer some of your questions, yes, I've already tried the sippy/straw cups with handles, but he didn't like those either. I think I may try the take & toss straw cups soon....

With regards to my son's development, I really wasn't concerned at all that he was on the "later" side until my pediatrician told us it was a concern that he wasn't sitting upright at 9 months and that he wasn't eating finger foods and told us to go to physical therapy. PT also told us he needs to be practicing self-feeding, so we've started doing that rather unenthusiastically. We do like our doctors for the most part but sometimes I feel like they are too into "developmental milestones".

While our son won't hold it on his own, he can drink 4-6 oz of formula from an open cup so I happen to think that it's only a matter of time that he'll learn to hold it on his own (I'm also not a big fan of sippy cups for dental reasons), but our doctors sometimes (unintentionally) pressure us with regards to developmental milestones, which stresses me out. Our past daycare providers also constantly told us that our son (at 6-7 mos) was unable to hold his bottle, insinuating that it was inconveniencing them (we've had other issues with this daycare so we pulled him out later)....