PDA

View Full Version : When do you add a 3rd solid meal?

ebjw
06-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Right now, she gets cereal for breakfast and veggies/fruit for dinner...

SnuggleBuggles
06-29-2009, 11:45 AM
12m. SInce the solids really aren't needed and I don't tend to sit down and have an official breakfast I wasn't really in a hurry to add on a 3rd feeding session. :) If we were out and about at a meal time we didn't usually gve solids for I would order him something though. I wouldn't add a 3rd meal prior to 9m personally because I would want to make sure baby wasn't fillling up on solids when there is breastmilk or formula to be had.

Beth

nfowife
06-30-2009, 11:44 AM
I did at around 9 months.

BeccaB.
07-02-2009, 09:28 PM
My ped said I could around 6 months. DS was eating a lot of formula though so adding more solids helped cut down from 48 oz of formula to between 28 and 36 oz which is more typical for his age.

elliput
07-03-2009, 12:04 AM
I added DS third meal of solids just this past weekend when he turned 9 months- he is now getting breakfast.

This is definitely one of those areas when you should follow the cues of your child.

jillc
07-03-2009, 05:27 PM
DD started solids at 6 months, and DS started at 7 months. With each of them, I added another "meal" every month. My two were not big solids eaters until over a year. Their solids "meals" were most often no more than a 1/3 cup in quantity. I was always careful to be sure that their nutrition was coming from breastmilk, with solids for fun/experience.