PDA

View Full Version : Apples as a secondary ingredient in baby food

happymom
06-30-2009, 07:16 PM
I've noticed that straight applesauce constipates my 6 1/2 month old DD. I'm wondering about the jars of mixed fruit though- for example, "apricots, pears, and apples" or "plums, pears and apples". I know that apricots, plums, and pears are all good non-constipating fruit, but its hard to know how much apple is in there. I'm kind of afraid to try it and find out the hard way. Have any of you found that these constipate your baby?

jren
06-30-2009, 08:38 PM
My DD had horrible constipation as a baby. She could have apples or anything else really, as long as she had pears every day.

happymom
07-03-2009, 01:22 AM
So would the pears in a jar of "plums, apples, and pears" be enough? Or would she have to have a jar of plain pears in order to counteract the other fruit?

scmama
07-03-2009, 01:20 PM
DS also had really bad constipation. He can eat whatever he wants now, but I usually mix it with pears (like applesauce, pears and oatmeal for breakfast, sweet potatoes with pears mixed in for lunch, etc). We just tried apricots this week and that seemed to help him too, which surprised me. He also loves prunes (gerber makes some organic ones that I mix with his oatmeal).

Pears and prunes have been great for us. My girlfriend swears by prune juice, but we have never tried it.

You might want to try mixing pears or plums with other fruit and see if that works. If not, then a whole jar by itself might help her.

jren
07-03-2009, 08:39 PM
I think we just did straight pears for her in the AM. I don't think it was a whole jar, though. It's hard to remember (been 5+years). I would probably feel better mixing pears in versus getting it in a combo jar of fruits just b/c there's no way to know how much pear is in the combo jar. We also tried prune juice occasionally when she seemed to need a little more help.

BeccaB.
07-03-2009, 09:56 PM
We do pears and prunes for DS also. Half a stage one jar of either has really helped him. Since he started solids he hasn't had to take Miralax every day like before.