PDA

View Full Version : best bottles for primarily BF babies?

junebaby07
06-30-2009, 07:23 PM
We are expecting our 2nd baby in June and I'd like to get one or two types of bottles to try out.

I will BF, but she'll need to be able to take a bottle when I return to work 3 days/ week after maternity leave.

W/ my first dd we started w/ dr. browns - which I liked but there were a lot of parts to clean. When the BPA news started to come out we switched to playtex dropins - we had initially tried these w/her as a newborn, but she didn't like them. As a 6 month old she took them fine.

I was thinking of trying Born Free and the Breastflow bottles this time, or maybe Born Free and giving the dropins a try again.

Any recommendations?

smiles33
06-30-2009, 08:27 PM
I BF DD1 almost 2 years but at daycare she used Avents. My DD1's daycare center teachers recommended Avent when she was having trouble with the Playtex drop-ins. They worked fine and DD2 has the new BPA-free Avents and has been good so far. Plus, they're easy to wash (just 3 parts: bottle, nipple, and collar).

ahrimie
07-01-2009, 02:52 AM
I used Born Free. It's a pain with all the parts but it's the only one she would take after Bf'ing for 8 months. Now, I use the Drop-ins but with the Born-Free nipple. The nipple fits okay but doesn't feel as secure as the Playtex nipple; but it still works.

poppy
07-01-2009, 03:18 AM
My LC said AVENT b/c the bottle's nipple is shaped similarly to the breast, and he has to open wide to get the whole nipple into his mouth, the way he'd suck on his mom's. We use the AVENT BPA Free. It's okay, leaks sometimes but we're satisfied for the most part.

amldaley
07-01-2009, 05:59 AM
We found success with Born Free & Playtex drop ins with NatraLatch nipples.

We tried the new Nuby bottle (crazy soft bottle with top shaped like a breast)...leaked horribly.

We tried the Soothie bottle, but with it's flat top, we found you really have to tip it to get the last of the milk out.

Neatfreak
07-01-2009, 06:44 AM
I used Medela, which is the ultimate lazy choice as they came with my pump ...

JBaxter
07-01-2009, 07:48 AM
We use Dr Browns... yes lots of parts but Jack does the best on those. I tried Avent... nipples WAY harder than dr browns and leaked very often, Ventair ok but nipples were also really firm, Drop ins he didnt like the wide nipples , Born free are ok and if the dr browns are dirty he will use them, Medela are also ok because the nipples are very soft.

My last 2 were bf and ff ( due to low supply) neither did well or liked the wide bottles they did much better and latched on better to a standard nipple.

doberbrat
07-01-2009, 10:45 AM
well, w/dd #1, I stocked up on avent and you guessed it, she refused them. she'd use the medela but they messed up her latch - eventually, we agreed on breastflow and transitioned back to avent.

for this one, I found breastflow at tjmaxx or marshalls for $12 a 3pk (something reasonable like that) so I got 2 giftpaks and I"m crossing my fingers.

the downside is the breastflow dont connect to my pump - w/avent I got the connector and was able to pump directly into the bottles.

3blackcats
07-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Another Avent fan here. We are on the stage 2 nipples now that they recommend for breastfed babies.

fitbecky
07-01-2009, 10:17 PM
we have had success with Breast Flow!

GonnaBJulymom
07-05-2009, 03:24 AM
You might want to check out Sassy Mams BPA free bottles as well. They're anti colic, has nipples similar to breast and easier to clean than Dr.Brown's. And cheaper too :thumbsup:

Melbel
07-05-2009, 08:13 AM
The only bottle DD2 will take is the BPA free Soothie (same brand as her pacifier). Both DD1 and DD2 refused Avent bottles.

BayGirl2
07-05-2009, 06:22 PM
We're using the Breastflow while trying to work on DS's latch to get him bf'ing more frequently. The LC recommended them and they have worked well. They haven't messed up his latch, he's starting to latch on to the breast better now. I think they would be easy to transition to for an EBF baby.

The only downsides: Make sure you drain the milk from inside the nipple before opening, it gets stuck in there so it has special draining tabs. If you don't do this the milk will spill out, wasting valuable bm (so frustrating after pumping for hours). Also, After using them for 3 weeks I feel like the nipple parts are wearing out a bit. They are silicone, so probably no different from other bottles, it may just be my imagination.

caheinz
07-05-2009, 09:39 PM
We've been using Playtex Vent-aire, BPA free.

They were recommended to us by an LC in the hospital. The twins have been drinking out of them regularly for the past 6 months, but only when I'm at work. And they're probably going to be switching to cups soon...