PDA

View Full Version : Back to School, already?

pinkmomagain
07-01-2009, 02:24 PM
My kids ended school last week. I knew that back to school stuff starts showing up after the 4th of July at Target and such, but I just got back from there and it's already out!!!!!
I hate this. I feel like store merchandising these days gives us and our kids such a skewed view of time passing. When we were young, the items in stores were more seasonally appropriate. I wonder if this has any sort of an impact on kids or am I just dramatizing it in my head? Alls I knows is, I can't stand it.

o_mom
07-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Well, our schools have been out for over a month now and go back Aug 11th, so really, it only 6 wks away for us.

brittone2
07-01-2009, 02:30 PM
I was at Target here in NC 2 days ago and they were starting to put stuff out.

However, a lot of schools here operate on year-round schedules (some voluntary, some mandatory), so it isn't really surprising.

KpbS
07-01-2009, 02:33 PM
I was in a store last week which had tons of fall leaves, pumpkins, etc. on display. It was pretty bizarre.

baileygirl
07-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Most of the schools here get out in May and start at the end of July/early August, so it isn't really that early here either.

himom
07-01-2009, 04:07 PM
My kids ended school last week. I knew that back to school stuff starts showing up after the 4th of July at Target and such, but I just got back from there and it's already out!!!!!
I hate this. I feel like store merchandising these days gives us and our kids such a skewed view of time passing. When we were young, the items in stores were more seasonally appropriate. I wonder if this has any sort of an impact on kids or am I just dramatizing it in my head? Alls I knows is, I can't stand it.

DS got out of school at the beginning of school and he goes back in 3 weeks. So we are shopping for school supplies, and I'm thankful Target has them up already.

But I also think it's sad that there's no longer a defined "summer." I remember being so happy to get out of school for the summer, and spending what seemed liked forever going to the beach, pool etc. And I remember the rush of excitement about the new school year when the school supplies started showing up in stores in late August.

I'm a little bummed that my kids won't have the same experience!

sarahsthreads
07-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Yeah, it is a little unnerving, although I'll admit DD1 and I already bought her new kindergarten backpack. We were in Children's Place, and they were just the right size and she loved one particular pattern so I figured, why not?

But anything else will have to wait until we get our letter in August about her teacher assignment and supplies list.

I feel like the holiday decorations will probably be out in a couple of weeks, too...

Sarah :)

MelissaTC
07-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Our county has year round schools so I have some friends who are thankful for the supplies being out so they can shop and then go on vacation. Our private school is on a more traditional calendar so I can wait for the sales. :)

BabyMine
07-01-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm glad they are out early becasue then you miss the mad rush that ensues later right before school.

pinkmomagain
07-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Interesting...Here on LI it's old time...school lets out end of June, you get to enjoy summer, and then school starts right after labor day...It's all I've ever known.

Aside from school, I do think retailers have gotten the seasons/holidays all wonky and screwed with our perspective on the passage of time.

rlu
07-01-2009, 05:39 PM
We were told by DS school to wait to buy supplies until we get our list the first day of school. What??? He starts on a Tuesday, am I supposed to hit Target with the parents of the other 99 kindergarteners that night to be ready for Wednesday? Frustrating. Good thing Target has a good return with receipt policy.

When we lived in TX I ran our company's back-pack drive and each school had given a list to Walmart of the necessary supplies by grade level. That did occur in July as I recall.

Just this morning a "reminder" popped up in my work calendar to look into setting up the backpack drive for Aug. Guess I better check the date the organization needs the backpacks turned in by.

As for holidays and retailers - I purposely did not look at the other end of the store when we ran into Michaels last week for fear of seeing Christmas trees. Just yesterday I deleted an email from Hallmark titled something to the effect of getting ornaments to commemorate summer memories (maybe those aren't xmas ornaments after all?)

alexsmommy
07-01-2009, 05:48 PM
I agree when it comes to seasonal holiday stuff.
I do, however, like it for back to school. I can shop around, look for coupons etc and not wait to get everything at one time. There are certain items I know the kids will need so I grab those when I find the best price and we tend to stock up for the entire year so I buy several packs of things like markers etc. That way my last minute list of class specific requests is not to overwhelming either financially or time-wise.
I think there is also the point that the school calendars are changing in many areas of the country and companies tend to ship to cater to the earliest places. I know several areas going to either year round or a semi-year round modified calendar that only has six weeks off in summer (but several week long breaks throughout the school year). In a strange way I wish we would go to that type of system because I feel like the kids lose so much ground during a three month hiatus.

Pennylane
07-01-2009, 05:53 PM
We have year round school here, so it's perfect for us!

Ann

BeccaB.
07-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Most of the schools here get out in May and start at the end of July/early August, so it isn't really that early here either.

:yeahthat:

DrSally
07-01-2009, 11:14 PM
I just saw it too!

BeccaB.
07-02-2009, 05:26 PM
We were told by DS school to wait to buy supplies until we get our list the first day of school. What??? He starts on a Tuesday, am I supposed to hit Target with the parents of the other 99 kindergarteners that night to be ready for Wednesday? Frustrating. Good thing Target has a good return with receipt policy.

That really suprised me. I'm a teacher - actually was a teacher and every year we had to turn in our school supply lists before we left for summer vacation. They mail them to the parents I think at the end of July along with other back to school info. So that way they have plenty of time to shop before we start back in mid-August.

ltmommy
07-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Yep, DD has been out of school for 6 weeks, and goes back 5 weeks from Monday. I am actually glad that the uniform stuff is coming out now, since this is all new to me!

fortato
07-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Our last day of school was MONDAY. So, yes...it's a little soon for us.

But...they've got to get this stuff out because the Halloween stuff will be out next month.

hellokitty
07-03-2009, 01:52 PM
A lot of schools are also selling pre-pkg'd, "back to school supply pks" as part of a fundraiser. I know that our district started doing it last yr and it was such a big hit, they are doing it again this yr. Parents can just order the, "kit" for their child's particular grade/class and everything will be ready for that child on the first day of school... no need for parents to have to run around getting lists of stuff. I think the only grade they do not do it for is K (which is the grade my son is entering), but the K supply list is pretty basic stuff.

I think what irritates me more than anything is that before Halloween is even here, stores have Christmas stuff out!

kransden
07-03-2009, 02:38 PM
My dd goes back Aug 3rd, so it is only a month away for us -yikes!

MartiesMom2B
07-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Martie's last day of kindergarten was this past Tuesday and she starts 1st grade on Tuesday. I've been running around looking for her list of school supplies. Target didn't have them out last week when I was looking. Wal-mart had some but was out of fine point dry erase markers. I finally had to finish up at Office Max. I've been telling everyone that I know, that I'm printing out the 2nd grade supply list at the end of September when everything goes on clearance and buying the bulk of what I need then.

egoldber
07-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Our supply lists are posted on the school's website and don't really change from year to year.

school lets out end of June, you get to enjoy summer, and then school starts right after labor day...It's all I've ever known.

This is us too. Sarah's last day was 6/18 and she doesn't start school again until 9/8!

amysuze104
07-04-2009, 03:44 AM
I am a teacher and our last day was May 22.............*I* go back to school on August 3rd! Students return the following weeks. SO not that early for back to school stuff here, although I have NOT seen it out yet.