PDA

View Full Version : How do you manage to exercise with 3 little ones?

LarsMal
07-01-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm getting specific with "3" b/c with 2 I could put them in the double stroller and take long walks. The older 2 don't nap anymore so I can't do workout DVDs while they nap, and our treadmill is in storage until the house is built.

Part of me wants to go join the gym so I can put them in the daycare while I workout, but I don't know if baby C is quite old enough yet (9 weeks).

I don't seem to have any time and when I do have time, I don't have the energy! I really need to start getting back into shape- for my body AND mind!

Any tips?

SnuggleBuggles
07-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Our gym takes little ones after 6 weeks. Mostly they either hold them, keep them in their carseat or put them in a swing/ bouncy seat. It was a chore to take one that little if they are nursing because you feel like you have to time it just right but I did take ds2 on occasion then. Usually I went after dh came home in the evening though.

ETA- my friend has 4 kids under the age of 6 and she does go to the gym. I believe she started going when the youngest was 3 months old.

Beth

Melaine
07-01-2009, 03:37 PM
I can't even manage to do it with two. Have joined the Y a couple weeks ago, but haven't gone to any classes. I've pretty much decided it will have to happen after the girls are asleep.

hobie
07-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Put the older 2 in the double stroller, put the baby in a carrier (not a bjorn, but a beco) and go for a walk! I love to take a walk with my BOB doullie. The baby does not have to be in the stroller, and would probably prefer to be in a carrier anyways.

megv
07-01-2009, 04:24 PM
If you can swing the cost, join the gym.

I only have 2DS, but the 45 minutes I spend working out in peace is so worth it. The boys actually like the kids club, and I keep the visits brief so as not to feel too guilty.

It has really helped my state of mind, both having that brief bit of me time, and the exercise itself improves my mood & anxiety level. It also gives a bit of structure to our day, otherwise we are still in pajamas at lunch time.

My gym also has tons of kids classes - martial arts, dance, gymnastics. Many days the kids are in a class as opposed to the kids club, which we would be going to anyway. So instead of me sitting outside surfing the internet on my phone, I go work out, and we are all happier in the end.

I just run out of steam by the end of the day, and the night time exercise never works out for me.

Good luck!

Pennylane
07-01-2009, 04:31 PM
My exercise is being a mom of 3, lol! I just ended my gym membership a few months ago. Seems like everytime I took the kids, they ended up sick from the childcare. I think if you are serious about it though, joining a gym is the way to go.

Ann

sunriseiz
07-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Put the older 2 in the double stroller, put the baby in a carrier (not a bjorn, but a beco) and go for a walk! I love to take a walk with my BOB doullie. The baby does not have to be in the stroller, and would probably prefer to be in a carrier anyways.

LOL! I tried this a couple of weeks ago and thought i might not make it home! Of course, my big kiddos are a little older/heavier and I don't have a BOB, but sheesh it was hard! :) I figured I was pushing well over 100 lbs plus carrying the baby...eek! I do plan to try this again sometime if the weather will stay relatively tolerable (ie not humid!). I would try the Y (did when ds1 was born), but am really concerned about illness at this point. Then they had a pre/postnatal yoga class and I took the baby with me. If the big kids could take a class, i might consider it.

newg
07-01-2009, 05:01 PM
I was also going to mention the stroller/carrier combo..I've seen a ton of moms doing this in my area..........would a wagon be any easier to pull than pushing the double stroller?

What about getting a sitter for the older two for a half hour or so..and then just take the little one on the walk wth you? If there's a park or something with a playground, you could have the sitter just play with the older two at the playground while you walk around the park....

Jen841
07-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Y playroom is my solution, but not the kids want to play outside and I never get to workout... and my body shows it.

Could you do a video at home and put on a show/movie/DVD for the kiddos on another TV? The baby could be sleeping. TV I confess is a well needed distraction (and treat) to the boys when I need it (so I can make dinner, have a migraine,... need some peace...)

annasmom
07-01-2009, 06:15 PM
I went back to the gym as soon as dc#4 was old enough - 8 weeks I think? It is the only way in my opinion. My kids just do not leave me alone when I try to exercise at home.

egoldber
07-01-2009, 06:28 PM
You have a brand new gorgeous Lifetime Fitness near you. I swear it's worth it for the child care alone.....

Momof3Labs
07-01-2009, 08:48 PM
I'll be doing the gym (my neighbor does it all the time, and she has 3 kids; I did it 5x/week with two kids). But our gym childcare doesn't take kids until they are 6 months old. I figure that I can go a couple of times a week during my maternity leave on days when our nanny is here with the girls, and then will have to take a break between going back to work and when they hit 6 months. Our gym charges $1/hr per child and I'm sure it will be some of the best money I spend each week!

WatchingThemGrow
07-01-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm looking fwd to starting back up with our gym membership in a few weeks, and HOPING I can develop a pattern this time. We go haphazardly in the evenings together, but I can see that *I* might need a break during the daytime.

Today the PP doula and I pushed 2 strollers to the park. I think it will be a grande workout when I get the triple stroller and try to haul everyone up there on my own.

lizajane
07-01-2009, 10:08 PM
let the 3.5 year old walk and put the smallest two in the stroller. it won't be super exercise, but if you have a 9 week old, it will be a super great start! and it will wear out your 3 year old.

put the older two in the gym nursery, but the baby in a carrier and walk laps around the gym, around a track in the gym, around the gym parking lot... (i got to the Y, so there are actually fields you could walk around.)

take the monitor outside when the baby is napping. play running games with the older two kids. play chase, tag, wild dinosaur on the loose... pick up the big kids a lot- lift them over your head. run races with them. make an obstacle course and run around it with them.

if the baby wakes up earlier than the other two, feed the baby and then use a bouncy chair while you do a work out video and chat with the baby about what you are doing as entertainment. "mommy is doing luuunges. lunge, mommy, lunge! go mommy, go! watch mommy get fit! yay!!!" (or do this after the big two are in bed at night.)

maestramommy
07-01-2009, 10:49 PM
:yeahthat: that will be my option unless I join a gym/Y. I can also do it with a single when Dora is in school.

we are also thinking of getting a concept 2 rower. then I can workout at night as well.

LarsMal
07-01-2009, 11:19 PM
You have a brand new gorgeous Lifetime Fitness near you. I swear it's worth it for the child care alone.....

Ooh...have to check that out! Thanks!

GlindaGoodWitch
07-01-2009, 11:38 PM
There was no way I could do anything until DS started sleeping through the night. I've been going to a 6am (ugh) bikram yoga class because I can get home before DH has to work.

Hope you find something that works!