PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a diaper bag!

bw52
07-01-2009, 04:03 PM
First dd will be here in 2 weeks and I need to get something! I'm not sure how big or small I even need! I don't like lugging a lot around with me (I like small purses, for instance), but I figure it will act as my diaper bag and purse (well, just for me to stick my wallet, tissues, and chap stick in) for the future. Honestly, I'm not even sure what all goes in it! Diapers, wipes, extra set of clothes? Is that it?

Any suggestions for where to look or what size to look for? What's good?

TIA!

SnuggleBuggles
07-01-2009, 04:31 PM
I really like my Lands' End Little Tripper. I am able to hold all my personal basics and ds2's stuff (diaper pouch with wipes, diapers and 2 disposable changing pads; clothes...). I keep a lot of things that some people carry in a large bag with them full time in the car. I can't see a reason for all the contents of the nursery for a trip into Target, kwim.

Beth

BeccaB.
07-01-2009, 10:18 PM
It depends on what your using it for. If your going to day care or if you know you will frequently be away from the house for more than two or three hours you need a bigger bag. If your just make runs to the store a small one will due. Keep in mind that as baby grows you may want room for toys, solid food and accesories, favoirite stuffed animal ect. I started with a small bag and moved up to a bigger one after a while.

No matter what size you need look for a washable fabric - inside and out, lots of pockets on the inside to hold small things, fabric that looks durable, and the closure on the top can be an issue. Some of them zip closed in different ways, some just have a flap.

Happy shopping.

ang79
07-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Well, if you really want to get yourself in trouble, join the babybags yahoo group. Lots of friendly, knowledgeable mamas there that have tried out tons of bags and can give great recommendations. And lots of buying, selling and trading going on, so you can usually pick up some great deals on new or gently used bags instead of paying full retail.

I'm totally with you on liking smaller bags, but with a toddler still in dipes and a baby, I had to go a bit bigger. I like bags with a good amount of pockets for organization, exterior pockets for bottles or sippies, and bags that look more purse-like than diaper-baggish. Bags I've tried and liked include:
Babymel Amanda
Fleurville Hana
Fleurville Lark
Fleurville Sling Tote
Lexie Barnes Darling
Amy Kathryn Gladiola (just got one for a great price here: http://babyhalfoff.com/item_4/Amy-Kathryn-Diaper-Bag-Gladiola-Black-Royal-and-Griffin..htm)
and pretty much anything from JuJuBe (I've tried the Packabe, MiniBe, BeSmall, and BeSmart, as well as their BeMine for a wallet)

Some of these are easy to find for a great price on Ebay, and if you go to the JuJuBe website they have a Pink Room forum where ladies buy and sell new and gently used bags for great prices. I have collected quite a few bags to try out but I only buy gently used ones unless I can find new ones on a huge sale.

If you like to buy new, www.littledudesanddivas.com is a great site. Wide selection, great customer service, and they have a clearance section. You can try out code "SAVE15" for 15% off, but this won't work on some brands (JuJuBe and OiOi are two it won't work on).

If you like the look of Vera Bradley some of their bags make great diaper bags as well. Lightweight, washable, and great pockets.

As for what to pack for a newborn, everyone's list varies, but I like to carry:
at least 4 spare dipes, wipes, change pad, burp cloth, nursing cover or receiving blanket, pacifier, a few small toys, hat/jacket depending on weather, some sort of baby carrier (usually a pouch sling), spare outfit or two in case of a diaper blowout or spit up. As they get older you can cut down on the amount of extra clothes and dipes but then you have to bring more toys, snacks, sippy cups, etc.

HTH!
Angie

jbrandy
07-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Personally I love the jujube bags! But also a close second have been my skip hop bags (a bit cheaper). I particularly like the skip hop messanger style -- it holds a lot. The great thing about both of these types of bags is that they attach to your stroller handles so that they don't drag on the ground and are very accessible. The skip hop has the stroller attachment built in and with jujube you purchase the clips.

The other great feature about jujube is just how washable they are as well as being loaded with pockets and accessories.

Best wishes!

MamaKath
07-08-2009, 11:36 PM
There are lots of brands in lots of price ranges!!! Some favorites are the LL Bean diaper bag (on sale right now), Lands End little Tripper, and the Skip Hop Duo or Dash. As far as what to pack in one it depends on how you are diapering and if you are bottle feeding. Here are the things you might start with...
diapers
wipes
changing pad
change of clothes (even just a onesie and light pjs)
light blanket
a bag to hold dirty clothes (large ziploc so you don't have to wash it)
rash cream
snack/water, nursing cover for you if nursing
bottles, formula container (compartmentalized) if you are bottle feeding
cloth diaper for spitups, etc.
your stuff in a wirstlet- ID, keys, lipbalm, ponytail holder, a couple dollars

It does come together and you'll find yourself out and about very soon!

lowrioh
07-09-2009, 09:55 AM
I have a Skip Hop Dash, Timi and Lesile bag, 2 Red Hens and a Fleurville Lexi Tote. I like them all but I end up using the Skip Hop the most. It's really functional and DH doesn't mind carrying it around.

http://www.amazon.com/Skip-Hop-Dash-Deluxe-Black/dp/B000YFW1LM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1247147303&sr=8-1

annavn
07-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Maybe you should wait to buy to see what your routine will require. I bought one and now realized I don't want to use it as it is too big and bulky and I realized that what I really like to use is a simple backpack, it's so convenient to just have it on your back leaving both hands to tend to the baby. We live in the city so lots of up and down the stairs and so on, but it's great even for the store, it's on my back, very comfortable.

babychi
07-29-2009, 10:50 AM
This is what I'm going with for my first baby due later this year. I does not scream baby, I actually think it looks more like a purse! Comes with a changing pad and stroller clips and I plan to use it as both my purse and diaper bag...my wallet, cell, makeup bag, etc. all fit easily into it along with baby's essentials.

http://www.diaperbags.com/designer-brands/skip-hop-diaper-bags/skiphopstudiodiapertoteinchocolate.cfm?source=gbas e&gbid=Skip_Hop_Studio_Diaper_Tote_in_Chocolate&TID=SKH063

arivecchi
07-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Before I had DS1, I had this ideal that I still wanted all of my baby gear to be fashionable, so I plunked down $200 for a Kate Spade diaper bag. Complete waste of money. What I have ended up using the most is the Diaper Dude bag that I got my DH. I like it because it is not small, not large, is a messenger bag type so I can sling it over my body, has cell phone pocket in the strap (very handy), has pockets for bottles outside, comes with changing pad and has a huge pocket in the back where I stuff things I need handy so I don't even open the bag. Cost: about $50. We also have a Baby Sherpa for day trips and travel. That bag is great as well, but not for daily use. I like the Skip Hops a lot too but have never owned one.

newg
07-29-2009, 12:26 PM
I have a vera bradley diaper bag and LOVE it.....I really only use it for trips where we will be out of the house for a while, or during a meal or something......but it has tons of pockets inside and out, comes with a changing pad and is machine washable (which is huge in my book)....
For smaller trips I have one from eddie bauer (can't remember the name though)...bought it for DH in a manly black color..has an adjustable strap for over the shoulder or just hanging off the shoulder....has enough room in it for a grocery trip or other short errand trip....it also has a nice place for mommy stuff.....I also like the look of the Lands End ones but don't need a third diaper bag!!!....
I have free shipping codes for Lands End and Vera Bradley is having a big sale on their website for retired colors and stuff......so you could probably get a good deal there