PDA

View Full Version : Okay, a bfing question already!

maestramommy
07-01-2009, 05:29 PM
With both Dora and Arwyn, when my milk came in, I was engorged, had milk leaking out, esp. during letdowns, and the milk would spurt, almost choking them. With Laurel, my breasts are full, uncomfy hard, BUT not that full, virtually no leaking, and Laurel drinks enough to require a second letdown, on both sides.

Is this because she nurses so much I haven't had a chance to refill to that normal bursting point? Or is she nursing so much because I don't have as much milk this time, and is this a bad sign for the future? My milk came in yesterday.

Mom2Jack
07-01-2009, 06:56 PM
My son nursed so frequently when he was first born (every hour or 2) that I never got engorged or leaked. In fact I wasn't even aware that my milk had come in. There was no problem with my supply and we had a successful nursing relationship for over a year. It sounds to me that you're doing just fine. Good luck!

SnuggleBuggles
07-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Oh, it could very well still be coming. I wouldn't count your chickens yet. :) Leaking and being super full isn't an indication of a good supply. Just nurse on demand and let her nurse as long as she needs to and you'll be ok.

Beth

daisyd
07-01-2009, 07:22 PM
My son nursed so frequently when he was first born (every hour or 2) that I never got engorged or leaked. In fact I wasn't even aware that my milk had come in. !

:yeahthat:

egoldber
07-01-2009, 09:20 PM
:yeahthat:

With Amy I was pumping or nursing so frequently that I very seldom felt engorged. Also, your supply tends to increase with each child, so it's unlikely that having had a full supply for two previous children that you wouldn't for a third. :)

maestramommy
07-01-2009, 11:39 PM
Okay, thanks, that is very reassuring! I thought the engorged part was a normal part of your milk coming in full force at the beginning. Good to know that's not always the case!

Now if I could just relieve that golf ball in my armpit, things would be peachy......:p

Momof3Labs
07-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I think you'll be bursting at the seams in another day or two or so.

For that lump, fill a baby sock with some rice and microwave it. Tuck it in your bra and wear around. That will help soften the lump and clear it up when you nurse. Also, start taking Lecithin daily!! I did with DS2 and had very few plugged ducts - it does help!!

hellokitty1
07-10-2009, 10:48 PM
hi-

congrats on lauren. i'm not hanging out on the boards as much these days so i just noticed your new addition.

i also never got engorged with #2 and had the golf ball thing going on but all is well in bf land at 4.5 months.

good luck and congrats again.

DrSally
07-13-2009, 11:32 PM
I don't think it's a bad sign. With subsequent pregnancies, engorgement can be different, I think. As long as she seems satisfied, I'd relax.