PDA

View Full Version : Would you register DC in a preschool you've neve seen?

LarsMal
07-01-2009, 05:37 PM
I finally found a preschool that has spots open in the 4yo class. The director seemed a little put off by the fact that I asked to come and see the school/meet her. I understand that the classrooms are packed up, but I'd like to meet her, get a feel for her and a vibe for the school. I don't think I'm asking much. I told her I just want to physically see the classroom and pick up the forms in person. Plus, I need to talk to her about DS's allergies and see what her response is/how they handle things there.

I would also think if you had openings in your school you'd do whatever it took to fill the spots, even if that meant taking an hour out of your summer to meet with an interested mother!

There is no way I would ever put DS in a school I hadn't been into first. Is it just me?

jamesmom
07-01-2009, 05:42 PM
No way no how. I would want to see the preschool and check it out before I enroll my DC there. If a director is not willing to meet me or let me see the facilities, that would be a red flag for me, but maybe that's just me. Hope you find a preschool that works for you and your DC!

kristenk
07-01-2009, 05:49 PM
There's no way I'd do that. If the director is put out by a request to actually go see the school (and I'm assuming that you have a fairly open time-frame and didn't ask to meet her on a specific day at a specific time), who knows what else will ruffle her feathers. DD's preschool director was always eager to show off her school. You might need to use a bit more imagination during the summer, or try to come by when the summer camp is going on so you have a better idea, but I can't imagine that she'd be put out by the idea of a school visit.

jenmcadams
07-01-2009, 05:49 PM
The director seemed a little put off by the fact that I asked to come and see the school/meet her.

Are they closed for the summer? I know we're on the waitlist at a few schools and the Director's only check email and voicemail during the summer months. Not saying I would pay a deposit without seeing the school, but could you ask to fill out the paperwork and hold off on a deposit until they open back up?

Pennylane
07-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Where I live, preschools fill up super quick! I worked registration this year. We had a random drawing for spaces and a few people whose names were pulled asked if there could take a tour before school started! I was shocked! I can't imagine signing up for a preschool before I met the director, some teachers, and toured the classrooms.

One lady said our school was the 4th deposit she had given and it was worth losing 3 deposits to make sure her ds got in the right school.

Ann

BabyMine
07-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Nope. I visited several preschools before I settled for the one he is attending. You do get a vibe by walking around. You can also tell by how clean the school is. I went to one that had torn window screen and the play equipment outside was a mess.

LarsMal
07-01-2009, 05:55 PM
I typed quickly before and thought I added that the director *did* agree to meet with me, but I got the feeling she's not thrilled! (this was all over email, though, so maybe I'm just reading into it too much)

Nooknookmom
07-01-2009, 05:55 PM
I finally found a preschool that has spots open in the 4yo class. The director seemed a little put off by the fact that I asked to come and see the school/meet her. I understand that the classrooms are packed up, but I'd like to meet her, get a feel for her and a vibe for the school. I don't think I'm asking much. I told her I just want to physically see the classroom and pick up the forms in person. Plus, I need to talk to her about DS's allergies and see what her response is/how they handle things there.

I would also think if you had openings in your school you'd do whatever it took to fill the spots, even if that meant taking an hour out of your summer to meet with an interested mother!

There is no way I would ever put DS in a school I hadn't been into first. Is it just me?

NO WAY! As a former pre-K teacher (& parent who's kiddo went to PS) the door should always be "open" for impromptu walk in's, at any time.

JustMe
07-01-2009, 06:26 PM
No way. I need to see where my child would be and if I feel its the right place for her. I did find that many preschools were surprised at how long I wanted to observe, but that is different from actively discouraging it/being annoyed. For me, it would also be important that the place would be open to parent input, and if the director is annoyed about meeting with you just to see the place, i would worry about that too.

SnuggleBuggles
07-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Her reaction would be a turn off to me. Visiting the school seems like a no brainer to me- and it is something they should be willing and eager to accommodate. I would only sign my dc up sight unseen is if I were moving and I got recommendations from people I really, trusted.

Beth

vludmilla
07-01-2009, 06:55 PM
I would never send DD to a preschool that wouldn't let me visit. I would also bevery turned off by a bad attitude about visiting. They should understand the importance of visiting and appreciate that parents take it seriously. Sheesh.

ha98ed14
07-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Actually, I DID do this. I was on a waiting list for the University Child Care center. They called and said someone had dropped out and did I want the spot. I said yes, absolutely and signed her up. They did not require a deposit, but they made me commit to a day the following week to come and see the program myself and then bring DD the next day for a shortened day with me there. I might have been willing to give a deposit over the phone if the spots were filling up quick, but I would never SEND her before I went and looked at the program. I think the real question is do ypu mind losing your deposit?

SammyeGail
07-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Her reaction would be a turn off to me. Visiting the school seems like a no brainer to me- and it is something they should be willing and eager to accommodate. I would only sign my dc up sight unseen is if I were moving and I got recommendations from people I really, trusted.

Beth

:yeahthat:

I went by to get the paperwork last week, they were outside, I have not been inside but in this small town it is 'THE' preschool to get in, in a converted house next to a church, Noah had been in the MDO program at the church until April when we felt it best he be in full-time preschool. They have openings (did last week) because they only run during the school year, small summer program, and its 7:30-4PM. Guess you all think I'm pretty lucky to get it for $80 a week, I guess there are some benefits to living in a small town.

I personally hate the current pre-school, no-one returns my calls, DH takes him and picks him up (very hard on my schedule of taking/picking up Jo to his school-bit of a distance away) and is much more impressed with his new teacher.

But I want the church's pre-school! Its the only real pre-school instead of a day-care.

kijip
07-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Here you can't even get on most lists to wait for a spot unless you have visited in person and had a tour and interview. If she is really put off by your request, that is crazy making. Is it possible she assumed you already had seen the school when you got on the wait list?

LexyLou
07-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Is this is a public preschool-like through the district?

The only reason I ask is that my DD was accepted as a typically progressing student in our districts integrated preschool. When I asked to come tour the facilities the director was annoyed and then said that NO ONE has ever asked for a tour before!

I was shocked, but my only other preschool experience has been with privately run preschools. BTW, we chose to keep her in a private preschool

It was just so weird to me that not only did they not offer a tour, they were upset with the thought of it.

egoldber
07-01-2009, 07:55 PM
If the school is closed for the summer and the classroom is packed up, then there's probably nothing to see. That's probably the source of her reaction. I wouldn't read too much into it honestly.

Momof3Labs
07-01-2009, 08:50 PM
No way would I sign up for a preschool without seeing it and meeting some of the staff beforehand. Perhaps you've found the reason why they still have openings??

hillview
07-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Never ever. You are not the crazy one, she is.
/hillary

BeccaB.
07-01-2009, 09:23 PM
I typed quickly before and thought I added that the director *did* agree to meet with me, but I got the feeling she's not thrilled! (this was all over email, though, so maybe I'm just reading into it too much)

If that was her attitude, I wouldn't bother meeting her. If your business/child aren't important enough to merit some of her time, she must not want you/your child very much.

belovedgandp
07-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Vote of dissent I think, but I actually did do that for my now 5 YO going into K son.

I didn't see his classroom or meet his teacher until sneak-a-peek the night before school started when he was entering 3 year old pre-school.

He was a "typically developing student" in a mixed classroom through our public school system. Now, he was evaluated by a different teacher in her classroom in March, and would have been in that room, but I moved his school when an opening became available at a closer school with a better schedule.

I was taking a wait-and-see approach with this school and pre-school in general for him at the time, so my theory was the worst thing that could happen is that we stop after a couple of weeks to sit out the year or find an opening at a church based program (which all start 2-3 weeks after the public school anyway).

Everything worked out great for us and I'm hoping my now 2 year old qualifies for next school year. In which case, I'll be trying to request the same school and teacher.

StantonHyde
07-01-2009, 09:49 PM
What kind of preschool doesn't want parents getting a tour?? Most places here require a tour or a meeting or something. odd.

dcmom2b3
07-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Register? Heck yeah! Preschool slots are so hard to come by here that I would register first and ask questions later. Generally, once I've applied I've gathered enough information to decide that it's at least a credible choice for us. I wouldn't mind risking a deposit to hold a spot.

Now, the director's reaction to your request to visit would give me pause. In fact, one of the things that I liked about the preschool that DD will be attending next fall was the fact that they didn't care when I showed up. No appointment necessary as a prospective parent, just "come on by, avoid naptime if you can."

egoldber
07-01-2009, 10:27 PM
What kind of preschool doesn't want parents getting a tour?? Most places here require a tour or a meeting or something. odd.

I'll just reiterate again, that if a preschool does not have a summer program, there could literally be nothing to see. The rooms could be torn up, in the midst of painting, etc. Preschool registration/visit season is long over.

dcmom2b3
07-01-2009, 10:37 PM
I'll just reiterate again, that if a preschool does not have a summer program, there could literally be nothing to see. The rooms could be torn up, in the midst of painting, etc. Preschool registration/visit season is long over.

Add a "Yeah that!" to Beth's post. While my preschool was totally flexible in my just showing up, they were very clear that they were closed during July, if I wanted to see anything other than locked doors I needed to get there before 6/26.

maestramommy
07-01-2009, 10:51 PM
no way. not unless I had a ton of recs from very good friends.

jacksmomtobe
07-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Of course I would want to see the school and get a feel for the vibe of the place. You are definitely not being unreasonable. We had someone just fill a spot at Ds's school and we were all surprised that they took the spot quickly without seeing the school (they are moving from a nearby state). I think any Director should want to show off their school and understand that you need to make sure you and your child are comfortable with the school esp with allergies involved. I think the Director's reluctance would be a bit of a red flag to me...not a deal killer if you got to see the school and heard good things from others about the Director but definitely something I would think twice about.

AJP
07-02-2009, 07:48 AM
I thinks it's totally the norm to see the school. Even if it is summer and even if they have no openings. Here it's actually recommended you visit before applying.