PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide which breastpump to buy!

gavsmompa
07-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Ok, have it narrowed down to 2, Medela Freestyle or Ameda Purely Yours. A few years ago I borrowed a PIS from a friend and returned it to her. It worked great. My only issues with it were that the bag enclosing the pump was bulky and the condensation in the tubing. I see the Freestyle would eliminate the bulkiness of the pump but how is the tubing issue? Ladies, what is your experience. I also heard that the Ameda is like half the price of the Medela, yet works just as good. No condensation to deal with in the tubing. I see Babies r us sent me a 15% off coupon so if I decide on the Medela, I would use it towards that.

MacMacMoo
07-03-2009, 01:26 AM
I have a Ameda Purely Yours and the purple Lansinoh one they are the one and they same. Babies R Us carries the Lansinoh one. I've been exclusively pumping for 11 months now. Not dealing with milk in tubing is also great.

Oh the reason I ended up with two pumps was a very forgetful mom when the baby was born and would forget on peice of the pump at home. So i got one for the home and one to have packup for travel so i wouldn't miss a pump. The Ameda/Lansinoh doesn't have that many peices, the Medela has quite a few to forget at home, atleast from what I've guessed.

Oh I should mention that with the Ameda/Lansinoh the pump isn't part of the bag. I ended up using a little hand bag my mom got from a cruise. was able to stich the pump on the bottom, the horns and a set of bottles on top of it. I did a lot of car travel so i had a simple cooler bag at the base of my passenger seat, It was nice to be able to put it in a nice little bag.

catpagmo
07-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Another vote for the Ameda Purely Yours. I only use it occasionally, but it's been great! No tubes to clean. I got the one that comes with a backpack. Great pump!

alleycat
07-04-2009, 12:51 PM
With DD#1, I borrowed my sister's Ameda and her friend's Medela. Both worked well, or as well as can be after two kids and about 3+ years old. I decided to buy a new one with DD#2 since both pumps from last time have been through 3 kids and about 5 yrs old now. I went with the Ameda, for it's price. I just got the pump since I still have the bag and parts from the old one.

Bought it from Breastfeeding Express.com. There's a $10 off code in the Coupons and Printable sticky on the Bargain Alert section. I think it expires today.

pb&j
07-04-2009, 01:35 PM
I'd go with the Freestyle b/c of the rechargeable battery - you don't need to be tethered to an outlet to pump.

MCsMom
07-04-2009, 02:08 PM
I have the Lansinoh/Ameda and I love this pump! I was set on getting the PIS but when I read about milk getting into the tubing, I went with the Lansinoh. It didn't come with a bag so I bought one online that is made by Lansinoh for that pump. Even travelling is great with it because it takes AA batteries. Lansinoh's customer service has also been pretty great IME.
I've been using this pump at least once a day since DD was born. I have pumped twice in one day a very few times because DD has been breastfed for the most part...

hellokitty1
07-10-2009, 10:44 PM
I'd go with the Freestyle b/c of the rechargeable battery - you don't need to be tethered to an outlet to pump.

i like this feature a lot and i love the "freedom" of the freestyle bc it's just a small motor pack to deal with i'v had no tubing issues. i did notice a little condensation once but that was bc my horns were still wet from being cleaned. i didn't dry them off well enough before pumping.

that said, i'm not familiar with the other pumps but i do like my freestyle.

traciann
07-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Get the Ameda. I used mine with batteries. I don't even think I plug in once.

doberbrat
07-11-2009, 08:11 AM
I had both a PY & a PIS (and rented a lactina). the PY was the least efficient for me - I got 5-10% less milk w/my py than my pis and 10% less w/the pis than the lactina. I think it was due to horn size I had larger horns for my PIS and couldlnt find them for the PY.

I also found the PY motor higher pitched and annoying. if you go w/the PY make SURE you get extras of those white thingies b/c you cant run out to target/bru and buy more. you have to order them if you loose them or they break etc.

BayGirl2
07-12-2009, 10:17 PM
I like the Freestyle and recommend it, although I haven't used the Ameda. Here's my review from a previous post:

I have a newborn and ended up pumping exclusively for the first 4 weeks (he doesn't like latching on) so I've been using my pump sooner and more than expected. I originally wanted the PISA but changed my mind and bought the Freestyle and I'm so glad. Here's why:

- The hands-free option works really well. The horns clip to a Medela nursing bra (there are adaptors for other bra brands too) so you can multi-task. You can also clip the pump to your waist/pocket and be mobile. Such a valuable feature when you have a baby and too much to do! I can't imagine having to hold the horns up every time.

- The pump itself is so much smaller than the PISA - probably 1/5th the size. It makes it easy to move around the house with me and carry to work.

- The battery is rechargeable and lasts for a few days, even using it ~8x/day. Its like charging my cell phone, I barely have to remember it, and have plenty of warning when I need to charge again before the next pump. I think it charges fast too, I usually only have 2-3 hours between uses.

- It has multiple speeds and can be programmed. I used a hospital pump and feel like the power is about the same, I never go to the highest setting.

I got mine for $285 IIRC from www.addalittlelove.com they have great service.

wallawala
07-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Where do you find the adaptors for the freestyle with other bras? I'm trying to decide between the PISA and the Freestyle, but heard the freestyle really is not "hands-free" unless you're using a medela bra.

hellokitty1
07-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Where do you find the adaptors for the freestyle with other bras? I'm trying to decide between the PISA and the Freestyle, but heard the freestyle really is not "hands-free" unless you're using a medela bra.

not true that you have to use it with a medela bra. i have a freestyle. it works with any nursing bra. it comes with two hook choices and you clip on the one that works with your bra.

ryanmom
07-30-2009, 07:58 AM
you may want to call your health insurance and ask if they cover the cost... mine does as long as I get a "prescription" from the doctor and that I meet the deductible (which should be met with a hospital stay for giving birth). They also offered a $90 reimbursement for parenting classes. With all the expenses, it is nice to know that some are covered.