PDA

View Full Version : We just found out where we are going to next...

Hawkeyewife
07-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Stupid Navy!

We are headed back to Norfolk Sept 2010 so DH can be a dept head of a squadron on an aircraft carrier, I am devestated! I don't want to go back there so DH can deploy and I will have to take care of stupid family crap (both sides) and not have any family support!!! DH's family lives 1 hour away and mine 3 hours away.

We put Cali down as our first choice, but DH put Norfolk down second (instead of third), even though I told him NOT to. I am so mad at him right now, he gets to leave and go on deployment and I am stuck in Norfolk! It would be bearable if I knew I could count on family to watch the kids if we get a port call opportunity or had a family emergency (ie child in the hospital which happened to us in 2007), but I know better than that. I've been through three deployments there and found out the hard way that our family stinks!

It's funny, if it wasn't for family I would be fine with it, we can find a nice house in a good school district and I love the YMCA and have connections in the community for myself and the children. Our other options would have been more difficult in those areas. Am I a terrible person beacuse I want to be as far away from Family as I can be?

MamaMolly
07-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Am I a terrible person beacuse I want to be as far away from Family as I can be?

Nope, not one bit. We move a lot for DH's work and I swear that last time, Africa wasn't far enough away! I thought at this next one coming up that family couldn't visit, which I was SOOOOO looking forward to, but turns out they can. Crap.

Hawkeyewife
07-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks, I am starting to feel better now after my outburst. We just found out right before bed last night and I woke up upset about things, at least we get a year to prepare.

I need to get out of this funk! I haven't gotten anything done today and I have to get things together for a weekend trip to visit the In-Laws.

scrooks
07-02-2009, 12:23 PM
I have a very good friend whose husband is in the Navy and she hates their relocation policy too! She is currently on Guam and is keeping her fingers crossed they will get to Norfolk this year.

It sounds like it's a pain to deal with military relocation....I can't even imagine.

sariana
07-02-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm so sorry that you didn't get your choice of location.

But I wanted to say congratulations to your DH on his new position. That's a great opportunity for him.

I have to laugh a little at this phrase:

he gets to leave and go on deployment

My DH never thought of it as "getting" to go on deployment!

niccig
07-02-2009, 12:55 PM
I live across the world from my mother and some times it doesn't feel far enough...

Sorry you didn't get your first choice. Any chance you can ignore the family stuff - they are still 1 and 3 hours away.

Hawkeyewife
07-02-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm so sorry that you didn't get your choice of location.

But I wanted to say congratulations to your DH on his new position. That's a great opportunity for him.

I have to laugh a little at this phrase:

My DH never thought of it as "getting" to go on deployment!

Thanks for bringing me out of my pity party. :) DH's last cruise was a westpac and he did get to go to some fabulous ports while away. I know it is difficult on them and he works so hard but it's not easy staying home, especially when they are in port. Our first cruise, he went through Naples on the way home and spent 3 days with my Mom in Rome while she was there visiting my sister, then a week later my FIL and Nephew got to go on Tiger Cruise with DH all the while I was home waiting for him to come home with our 13 month old daughter.

I think I may have gotten it out of my system now. Time to put on a smile and hang out with the In-Laws for the weekend. Boy do I wish I weren't pregnant right now, a drink or two would be on the agenda otherwise.

nfowife
07-06-2009, 04:36 PM
First, congrats on your DH making DH. My DH screened too, what a relief!

Sorry that your family sucks. Can you just pretend they aren't there and enjoy the life you want to have? Don't be a martyr and always put out the welcome mat for them....if they don't initiate stuff, don't make too much of an effort!

We have such a love/hate relationship with the Navy too. I try to keep my attitude positive but sometimes it is so hard. Hugs to you!

Hawkeyewife
07-06-2009, 09:18 PM
We went down to Norfolk this weekend while visiting with the In-Laws and checked out the new base housing on Little Creek. It's nice, just like the ones we are currently in here in Maryland but the base amenities are much better there.

That part is fine, but I am still trying to get over being so close to family thing. Still upset and even though the visit went well, I am having a hard time feeling upbeat. I am done making DH feel bad about it, I am proud of him and support him. It may take a while before I am excited about going there.

NFOwife congrats on your DH too! We thought we would have to wait until our second look if we got it at all, but somehow we were lucky and made it the first time around (apparantly something that doesn't happen too often out of the test community.)