PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite sad movie?

Corie
07-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Sometimes, when I'm in a particular mood, I like to watch a sad movie.

I have a couple of favorites that I like to watch-

*Steel Magnolias

*Terms of Endearment

What are your favorite tear-jerkers?

BabyMine
07-02-2009, 12:29 PM
The Family Stone

LarsMal
07-02-2009, 12:30 PM
*Steel Magnolias
*Step-Mom
*My Life

MaiseyDog
07-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Beaches
My Girl
Steel Magnolias

Moneypenny
07-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Corie, your favorites are mine, too. Steel Magnolias was just on last weekend. DH walked through the room during the funeral scene just shaking his head at me snuffling away on the couch.

SASM
07-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Beaches
Steel Magnolias
Roman Holiday (if you'd call it a tear-jerker)
The Doctor

Charlie
07-02-2009, 12:47 PM
A Beautiful Life
Stepmom

k_null81
07-02-2009, 12:48 PM
The notebook
Steel Magnolias
Beaches
My dog skip
Eight Below

I'm sure I could come up with more but those are some of my favorite movies that make me tear up! I have yet to see Marley and me and from what I heard I'm sure that would make my list too!

love_a_latte
07-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Braveheart (I cry like a baby in a couple scenes, and since I tend to be an action fan the battle scenes are a bonus. And it was from Mel Gibsons less 'wacky' years, so I don't feel too bad about still watching it.)
Romeo and Juliet (The 1968 version.)

I am sure that there are more, but those are the ones that jump out for me.

KpbS
07-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Documentary film-- A Lion in the House
Absolutely amazing but incredibly sad/difficult--childhood cancer stories. Great film.

jacksmomtobe
07-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Love Story
My Dog Skip
When a Man Loves A Woman

Mayme714
07-02-2009, 02:23 PM
step mom
the notebook
when a man loves a woman

specialp
07-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Steel Magnolias
Fried Green Tomatoes
Terms of Endearment
It's A Wonderful Life

ett
07-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Beaches
A Walk to Remember

MelissaTC
07-02-2009, 02:42 PM
I am a sap in general when it comes to movies. But the movies that make me sob (and I love them!) are-

Steel Magnolias
Terms of Endearment
Beaches
Stella
The Notebook

happymom
07-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Another fan of The Notebook. LOVE it.

StantonHyde
07-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Bridges of Madison County

Out of Africa

kboyle
07-02-2009, 04:33 PM
when a man loves a woman
up close & personal
a walk to remember

MmeSunny
07-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Yes, it's in Italian but "Life is Beautiful" is amazing. It's by Roberto B-something or other. He won the Oscar and then ran across all of the seats to the stage. Funny guy. Amazing movie.

fauve01
07-02-2009, 05:40 PM
besides what's already been mentioned,

Life is a House
http://www.amazon.com/Life-House-New-Line-Platinum/dp/B00005YUPC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1246570520&sr=8-1

and 'Legends of the Fall" always makes me cry (not bad eye candy either...)

and another great one that happens to be in Italian is "Cinema Paradiso"

A

jhamman
07-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Cyrano de Bergerac !
(the 1990 version, with Gerard Depardieu)

MontrealMum
07-02-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm not good with sad movies in general, so they've got to be really good for me to watch them more than once. My picks are:

Wuthering Heights
Life is Beautiful (truly, one of my favorite movies ever)
Beaches

Fairy
07-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Titanic. No question. I cried so much I was in hysterics in the movie theatre. All out hysterics. I cried all the way home. I cried on and off for a week. I literally made myself sick.

DH has banned it in our house. I'm not allowed to have the DVD, and if he sees it's on TV, he listens to see if I'm sneaking it. I'm not kidding.

Runners up --> Life is Beautiful (Roberto Benigni) and Steel Magnolias.

MontrealMum
07-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Titanic. No question. I cried so much I was in hysterics in the movie theatre. All out hysterics. I cried all the way home. I cried on and off for a week. I literally made myself sick.

HOW could I have forgotten Titanic? I've only watched it the once because I was a basket case both during and after. And even now just thinking of it I'm welling up.

shawnandangel
07-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Steel Magnolias
Fried Green Tomatoes
A League of Their Own (I cry at Madonna's "This used to be my playground")
A Walk To Remember
Cold Mountain
Beaches (oh when Bette sings "wind beneath my wings" I cry EVERY TIME)

kijip
07-03-2009, 02:34 AM
Cyrano de Bergerac !
(the 1990 version, with Gerard Depardieu)
:yeahthat: I loved that movie.

And:

The Way We Were.

Some of these don't seem sad to me, like A League of their Own and It's a Wonderful Life (is anything with Jimmy Stewart ever sad? Even when he collapses in Mr. Smith. He is just so darn "uplifting movie". Though I guess they have sad parts.

shawnandangel
07-03-2009, 09:43 AM
:yeahthat: I loved that movie.

And:

The Way We Were.

Some of these don't seem sad to me, like A League of their Own and It's a Wonderful Life (is anything with Jimmy Stewart ever sad? Even when he collapses in Mr. Smith. He is just so darn "uplifting movie". Though I guess they have sad parts.

Oh man, I cry buckets when they tell Betty her husband is dead. Then at the end of the movie when the little boy "You're gonna lose" tells them his mother died, I cry again.

Jeanne
07-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Meet Joe Black

Page
07-03-2009, 08:14 PM
I Am Sam (Sean Penn, Michelle Pfeiffer)

Hope Floats (Sandra Bullock, Harry Connick, Jr.)

julevizamom
07-03-2009, 09:23 PM
HOW could I have forgotten Titanic? I've only watched it the once because I was a basket case both during and after. And even now just thinking of it I'm welling up.

:yeahthat:I could cry right now!
Has anyone seen that Canadian movie My Life Without Me? It's about a mom with two daughters who finds out she's dying and makes a list of things she's going to do before she's gone (like make her daughters tapes for each of their birthdays until their 18, and find her husband a new wife!). It's a total must-see tear jerker that I can't resist. :crying:

Corie
07-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Has anyone seen that Canadian movie My Life Without Me? It's about a mom with two daughters who finds out she's dying and makes a list of things she's going to do before she's gone (like make her daughters tapes for each of their birthdays until their 18, and find her husband a new wife!). It's a total must-see tear jerker that I can't resist. :crying:

This description reminds me of the Michael Keaton movie, called My Life.

It was a very sad movie.

Corie
07-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Corie, your favorites are mine, too. Steel Magnolias was just on last weekend. DH walked through the room during the funeral scene just shaking his head at me snuffling away on the couch.

Steel Magnolias sucks me in every time. I think because it's funny and sad.
I end up laughing through my tears. This is a movie that my sister and I
quote to each other all the time. :)

Corie
07-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Terms of Endearment

I seriously LOSE it when Shirley MacLaine is screaming at the nurses
in the hospital that it's time for her daughter to get her pain medication.

ett
07-03-2009, 10:20 PM
:yeahthat:I could cry right now!

I've seen that. I agree, definite tear-jerker.

Carrots
07-03-2009, 11:40 PM

:hysterical: I am laughing right now because I did the SAME thing (well, I wasn't really in hysterics, but I was close). For weeks after I saw the movie if the commercial came on the TV I would cry.

I still enjoy the movie, but I have seen it so many times that I am immune to the sadness.

Fairy
07-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Oh man, I cry buckets when they tell Betty her husband is dead. Then at the end of the movie when the little boy "You're gonna lose" tells them his mother died, I cry again.

Yes, I agree, it's not the typical sad movie, but at the end there, it's pretty much a weep fest. When he has to tell Betty Spaghetti that the telegram is for her, and then the poignancy of the boy all grown up looking up to his mother's photo at the hall of fame and knowing her accomplishments and also her sacrafices and how much he loves and misses her? Hard to keep it together there.

Great movie.