PDA

View Full Version : Which movies to show DC before we go?

kwc
07-03-2009, 03:07 AM
We're surprising DD (almost 6) and DS (3) with a trip to Disneyland/ Calif Adventure for 5 d in about 2 weeks...

I have generally avoided buying things with licensed characters (no Disney princesses, minimal "Cars" items) in the past so they are not familiar with many of the characters/ stories. However, DH pointed out earlier this week that they would probably enjoy the trip more if they were more familiar with some of the movies, etc. DD is very easily freaked out (cannot tolerate Nemo even though she has never seen the scene where Nemo's mom disappears) so we'd have to edit/ skip over any scary parts. They have seen Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Imagination Movers, Bob the Builder, Little Einsteins on Tivo.

Over the years, they've seen portions of:
Mulan I and II
Cinderella
Cars
A Bug's Life
Robin Hood
Wall-E
Ratatouille
about 10 minutes of Nemo

I've just put Toy Story, Jungle Book and Brother Bear (we're staying at the Grand Californian) on our Netflix queue... am considering Aladdin, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast or Peter Pan.
DD is actually familiar with all the princesses from books/ friends but I think Snow White/ Sleeping Beauty are actually too scary for her.

Any suggestions? TIA

JTsMom
07-03-2009, 08:31 AM
My absolute top rec is the Disney Sing A Long Songs DVD's, especially the one that was shot in Disneyland. Someone here told me about it, and it's perfect for your needs. The only scary part is a song called Grim Grinning Ghosts, but you can just skip over that one (the video shows villians and a little of the Haunted Mansion).

DS isn't at all sensitive when it comes to movies, so I don't know how much I can help. I will say that pretty much all Disney movies have some sort of stressful thing happen, so you'll probably be skipping parts on everything.

In addition to some of the ones on your list, we also have Dumbo, which DS loves, but I don't think that will work for you, Aristocats, which probably would (at least most of it) and The Little Mermaid (iffy- the sea witch is pretty creepy imo).

Another option is to do some of the Disney books, which would probably be less scary.

Also, I don't know if you're planning on buying/renting these, but if you buy, check out the Disney Movie Club. They have some really good start-up deals. I think we got our first 6 movies for under $10.

ETA: Duh, just though of a whole bunch more- Toy Story 1 and 2, Mary Poppins, and any of the Pooh/Tigger/Piglet movies.

Oh, and be sure to check out the scary potential of some of the rides- Snow White's Scary Adventures, for example.

fivi2
07-03-2009, 10:35 AM
When I took my almost 3 yo dds to WDW, the only things they had seen were MM Clubhouse and some Winnie the Pooh stuff. That was plenty for us. When they saw characters they didn't "know" they still thought they were neat and would run up and hug them.

So, imo, it isn't necessary to expose them first. The dvd pp mentioned sounds great, though!

egoldber
07-03-2009, 10:53 AM
I think that the first Winnie the Pooh movie, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (from long ago when we were kids), is great. And then Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I really think that's all I would do. Little Einsteins are good, especially if you plan to do the Hollywood&Vine meal (which I highly recommend).

belovedgandp
07-04-2009, 09:33 AM
We went when my now 5 year old was 3 1/2. I had a similar experience that he did not know the characters, but he'd seen less than your kiddos. I added Jo Jo and Little Einsteins because we had a lunch with them.

Otherwise, we just read lots of primary MM and Pooh character books.

I think the only movies he'd seen at the time were Toy Story and Cars.

clc053103
07-07-2009, 08:49 AM
We did the Disney Sing Along dvd's too!

s7714
07-07-2009, 04:03 PM
What about just reading them some of the Disney books vs. showing them the full length movies? That would at least give them some background info. on some of the characters, but it's a lot easier to skip all the scary/intense parts like the movies have.

I'd definitely read or watch Toy Story. There's a lot of fairy stuff around there right now, so Tinkerbell would be good. And I'd try to read one of the Disney Peter Pan books, even if you don't want to watch the movie.

kwc
07-08-2009, 02:50 AM
Thanks for all the responses!

Jungle Book was a bust, both kids (and a friend) found it scary and boring and we only made it through about 1/3rd of it. We actually have seen the Winnie the Pooh years ago (on VHS!) and we've read the Milne stories so I know they will love Pooh. This seems like a good time to pull out the book again. Mary Poppins is already a favorite around here also!

I have put the Sing-A-Long on our Netflix queue and will probably give Toy Story and Monsters Inc a try but may otherwise stick with the books/ stories on CD instead as suggested. DH started showing them videos of the rides on YouTube, and oddly enough, my scaredy-cat DD really wants to ride the Matterhorn!

fivi2
07-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Just a warning - I also have very sensitive dds, and Toy Story would be WAY too scary for them. The headless dolls, the mean bully and his dog... They would be freaked out.

lil_acorn
07-08-2009, 10:21 AM
my son started being scared of monsters after watching monsters in so you may want to be careful with that one too