PDA

View Full Version : Antihistamine rx'd for allergies

Babymakes3
07-03-2009, 10:23 AM
The allergist we just started seeing just prescribed a once daily antihistamine for 10 month old ds. He said he is a very conservative doctor and doesn't prescribe unless necessary but he thinks ds will benefit from being on one.
Apparently they have been shown to lessen reactions when they have one, get them over allergies quicker and prevent the body from forming new allergies.

When we went for testing the other day he said that ds's reaction was most impressive for a child of his age...this is what prompted the prescription.

I haven't had a chance to sit and research this yet but i'm curious to everyones thoughts. I don't like the idea of giving him anything everyday but in the same respect I need to trust the doctor too as this allergy stuff is over my head!

tnrnchick74
07-04-2009, 09:17 AM
DS has been on a daily antihistamine (zyrtec) since he was 6 months old due to general environmental/pollen allergic reactions plus allergies to milk. My allergist said the same thing - it might possibly reduce new allergies from forming and being as severe.

We just had another appointment - I asked about stopping the zyrtec but since ds still gets random hives, severe nasal congestion not cold related, etc it was best to stay on it for awhile more.

catsnkid
07-05-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm curious to know what drug was recommended. My husband and I both have allergies. He had shots as a child and is okay, I take medication (clarinex until pregant, now claritin). My son is okay so far, but I wonder if it is b/c he is getting some claritin through the breastmilk.

tnrnchick74
07-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Most common recommended is actually OTC Zyrtec for kids (especially infants) - easy to get, low risk of side effects and long term effects.