PDA

View Full Version : How 'Bout another Round of Who Do You Know?

Fairy
07-03-2009, 03:21 PM
We did this some time ago, figured why not have another go, this time with a poll. Do you know a celebrity or anyone famous? Even just a local news reporter? Are you famous? Of course, voting won't out you (commenting might :D). If you live in LA, you probably know someone even through a degree or two. So, tell us, who do you know?

MontrealMum
07-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Well, I'm sure there are going to be lots more interesting than this, but since noone's taken the plunge, here goes:

I went to hs with Gillian Anderson. No, we don't keep in touch, but it was a small school so I would imagine she'd know who I am if for some reason I ran into her.

As for Canadian famous people...I ran into former Quebec premier and famous for his huge political gaffe regarding immigrants Jacques Parizeau while signing in to the archives a few years back. My impressions? He's quite polite, and very short :D

I am very good friends with the sons of a Canadian actor who has had generally small parts in all sorts of things (The Red Violin, Grey Owl, Can. Heritage moment commercials), but noone here would have any idea who he is so I won't list the name.

Shock value: my dad dated Jimmy Hoffa's daughter one summer when they were college kids...but I've never met her.

bubbaray
07-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Like know as in pick up the phone and call?

I know a very famous person in the legal profession here. Need to call him to chat, actually. I went to law school with two politicians here. They would recognize me and chat if we met, but I wouldn't call them up and invite them over for drinks.

I used to be a radio DJ. I am about as far away from that part of my life now as could possibly be. Its like it was an alter ego or something. Here I sit out in the 'burbs. Definitely not part of the counter culture anymore, LOL!

Where IS my Costco shopping list, anyway? :hysterical:

Melbel
07-03-2009, 03:44 PM
While skiing in Park City with a couple of girlfriends, we hung out with Tony Danza for the week. At one point he stated that my husband "was a very lucky guy." Context: I was turning down repeated advances from men at a bar. I remind DH of that every so often! ;)

My kids currently go to school with the son of Todd Martin, the tennis player. I actually saw him play at Wimbledon back in 1995 when I was studying abroad at Oxford.

My husband and I are friends with a rising politician in FL.

I am good friends with a local celebrity of sorts, but do not wish to out her!

momof2girls
07-03-2009, 03:48 PM
My DH's first cousin is a former MLB player for the Braves and Pirates. He made it to the world series about 10 years ago.
A friend's husband works with Kelly Ripa dealing with her finances. They have only a business realtionship.

BabyMine
07-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Awe man, I want names. Or at least initals.

ast96
07-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Yes, I know more than one famous person. I did live in L.A. ;) One of my children's godfather is famous -- as in, magazine covers, TV star, been in in major studio movies.

mom2binsd
07-03-2009, 04:18 PM
I dated the brother (for 8 years!) a recent inductee to the Hockey Hall of Fame, his wife also grew up across the street from me.

My mom went out with Peter Jennings back when he was nobody but just a handsome guy in Ottawa and she went to elementary school with Rich Little.

DH lived in Miami and worked for the Dolphins and used to be at Dan Marino's house a lot, Dan and his wife always invited DH over for holidays as he was living away from home.

Moneypenny
07-03-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm Johnny Depp's mistress.

(That may be a weeeeee bit of a fabrication...)

AJP
07-03-2009, 04:37 PM
I've met several famous (to different degrees) people...some were random chance things and some were through other people, friends of family etc. Lots of local politicians and one who ran for pres many years ago. He used to be an aquaintance of my dads. Some of the more well known names are are Sean Lennon, Bijoux Phillips, Mackenzie Phillips, lots of the Soprano cast, Some musicians, Nicholas GAGE (author) and a few more who I've forgotten!
This is fun!

Fairy
07-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Well, I'm sure there are going to be lots more interesting than this, but since noone's taken the plunge, here goes:

I went to hs with Gillian Anderson. No, we don't keep in touch, but it was a small school so I would imagine she'd know who I am if for some reason I ran into her.

As for Canadian famous people...I ran into former Quebec premier and famous for his huge political gaffe regarding immigrants Jacques Parizeau while signing in to the archives a few years back. My impressions? He's quite polite, and very short :D

I am very good friends with the sons of a Canadian actor who has had generally small parts in all sorts of things (The Red Violin, Grey Owl, Can. Heritage moment commercials), but noone here would have any idea who he is so I won't list the name.

Shock value: my dad dated Jimmy Hoffa's daughter one summer when they were college kids...but I've never met her.

Dude. My love for "The Red Violin" knows no bounds. Do tell. Or PM?

bubbaray
07-03-2009, 04:39 PM
My DH met Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawk in a Subway in Princeton BC while on a skiing road trip. For anyone who's ever been to Princeton (which is basically a gas stop and nothing more), its about as small town as it gets. DH says they looked shell-shocked.

bubbaray
07-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Dude. My love for "The Red Violin" knows no bounds. Do tell. Or PM?

But of course, one of my favorite movies too! :)

Fairy
07-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Melissa, you scare me. I also was a jock. And today we almost made a Costco run. I need shrimp. STOP!

TwinFoxes
07-03-2009, 04:43 PM
I am close friends with several famous journalists. I wasn't sure if that counts, but if local news people count than my friends definitely do (national journalists.) I'm friendsish with the host of a cable show. I probably wouldn't call him for drinks, but if I'm at a party he and I talk a lot, and we've been to dinner. In my old job in LA I met stars fairly often, at least once a week, but sadly I never was so charming that we became BFFs! In general they are all short, except Ben Affleck who is very tall. (I didn't talk to him, I was just one of the gawkers pretending I had urgent business in our office lobby!) I do miss star sightings, they're fun.

Fairy
07-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Ok, so as should be no shock to many of you, I have met and worked with nearly every Star Trek above-the-credits actor. I worked many a convention for years. And other sci-fi genre people, too. Of all those people, I'd think several would recognize me as one of the volunteers. Only one person in all of that would still actually know my name. George Takei. A genuinely wonderful, warm, and decent man. I absolutely adore him. His husband, Brad, is even more of a mensch if that's possible. Friends, no. But they'd know my name.

I know the mother and brother of Jeff Garlin very well. I kibbitz with his mother almost daily.

When I was a reporter, I knew and worked with a bunch of television journalists who are now a bit more established throughout the country. I doubt more than two or three of them would remember me at all.

My ex-boyfriend is in a (kinda?) famous goth metal band. I say kinda cuz I don't know the goth metal scene very well, so not sure how famous it is. We're still quite chatty.

That's about it.

fortato
07-03-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm a celebrity in my own mind. You've probably seen my work. "The Christmas Pageant" of MQP, in Salem, NH? Yes... I WAS Mary.

I used to babysit for P.J. Stock (he played for the Boston Bruins), and I knew the WWE wrestler- Triple H. (His sister is the director of a school I worked at..and he would come in to see and read to the kids.)
And, David Robinson, the drummer for the band "The Cars" is my cousin.

tylersmama
07-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks to my former career, I know several professional athletes. In particular, a couple of pretty well-known NBA players, one of the Red Sox, and a Stanley Cup winning hockey player. I had a HUGE crush on the hockey player, in fact, and even baked him cookies freshman year of college. :o Wow, that's embarrassing 14 years later...

A local news anchor runs with my track group sometimes. My financial advisor is one of the survivors of the Columbine shooting, and has gotten a ton of media attention for it. I think that's about it...

TwinFoxes
07-03-2009, 05:08 PM
I also forgot, I've recently became a co-owner of General Motors, and I was voted Time Magazine's Person of the Year a few years back ;)

BabyMine
07-03-2009, 05:28 PM
I almost forgot. My DH was in a movie with Don Johnson. Dh was very young at the time and played his son. I actually yelled at Robert Ludlum. I didn't know who he was.

Octobermommy
07-03-2009, 05:29 PM
I also forgot, I've recently became a co-owner of General Motors, and I was voted Time Magazine's Person of the Year a few years back ;)

Small world, me too!

codex57
07-03-2009, 05:55 PM
My family is friends with one of the most famous figure skaters in the US. She recently got her college degree (finally). She doesn't really know me, but would be able to figure out who I am easily if told my name (cuz her family knows my parents and my sister pretty well).

I dunno if he's a "celebrity", but my uncle is fairly well known in business circles. At least in SoCal and parts of NorCal.

SammyeGail
07-03-2009, 06:07 PM
DH's sister met Carlos Santana years and years ago, she was friends with his neice, she didn't know who he was and told him his guitar playing 'totally sucked'.

I was friends with a girl who left our small town in AL to move to LA, she was a co-producer on the sitcom from the late 90's 'Caroline in the City' with Lea Thompson. They were in the same studio as Sienfield (and others) and all ate together/ran into each other, she said if you didn't act 'star-struck' they all talked to you like a normal person.

I lost touch with her when I broke-up with that boyfriend, I knew her thru him, so I lost alot of real juicy behind the scenes hollywood gossip, lol.

lizajane
07-03-2009, 06:09 PM
i have met:
sissy spacek- her DD schuyler was friends with the kid i babysat, so met her at a birthday party for him and talked about how my name is elizabeth schuyler and her DD is schuyler elizabeth

dave matthews- bumped into him while going into a restaurant. DH spoke to him.

boyd tinsley- fiddle player for dave matthews band- i was friends with one of his friends, chatted briefly

john grisham- sat at his table at a luncheon at which he was the keynote speaker (my mom gave me her spot so i could sit with him. my dad is pres. of the VA foundation for the humanities and they put on the VA festival of the book. so dad got to decide who was at the table.)

david baldacci- spent time with him at a party. in fact, my dad asked me to make sure he was having an ok time, as he didn't know folks in ch'ville at the time. he is friends with my parents and i recently remarked that he wouldn't know who i was, but my mom replied, "actually, he asks about how you are whenever we see him" so i counted him as "he would know my name" as long as i mentioned my maiden name

other authors/poets: malcom gladwell, spoke at our ad agency, anita shreve, at va festival of the book, clyde edgerton, book festival, rita dove, book festival, seamus heaney, did the commencement speech at my UNC graduation and was at the english dept reception afterward. i am sure there are tons more, as i went to the book festival a lot before i had kiddos.

went to a party and caught site of monica lewinsky!! ha ha ha!! also saw carol hathaway (can't remember her real name!) at the same party. and was within inches of chris noth (mr big!!!)

finally... uncle jesse from dukes of hazzard supposedly held me when i was a baby. so the story goes (i think he knew my grandparents)

oh, and one of my friends produced Blues Clues! ha ha ha!!!

elephantmeg
07-03-2009, 06:39 PM
I voted that I don't know anyone remotely famous but I did read my uncle's name in newsweek one time and he makes occasional appearances on weather related stuff. He's a hurricane researcher. My brother met Jane Goodall in HS (she spoke to the school).

Twoboos
07-03-2009, 06:57 PM
I met and had my pic taken w/Alec Baldwin in the Much Younger Years. I am smiling like a baffoon from ear to ear, he has a look on his face like, "Who the hell convinced me to tour college campuses for the Dem Party??"

I was on MTV once, for approximately 7 seconds.

I am friends w/the wife of a pro hockey player. He is pretty quiet and reserved, he must go into some major transformation on the ice, LOL!

I am dying to know who voted "I AM a famous person"!!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
07-03-2009, 07:02 PM
I've met several famous (to different degrees) people...some were random chance things and some were through other people, friends of family etc. Lots of local politicians and one who ran for pres many years ago. He used to be an aquaintance of my dads. Some of the more well known names are are Sean Lennon, Bijoux Phillips, Mackenzie Phillips, lots of the Soprano cast, Some musicians, Nicholas GAGE (author) and a few more who I've forgotten!
This is fun!

I have meet one of those people on a few occasions....

elektra
07-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Do you know a celebrity or anyone famous? Even just a local news reporter? If you live in LA, you probably know someone even through a degree or two.
This is me. Living in socal (8 or so years in LA), playing a sport in college and meeting athletes who went on to me famous pros, along with my brother being a sports agent, I have met quite a few famous folks, and seen a ton. And I actually know the local NBC weather girl Elita Loresca! LOL. We're not close friends or anything but she is close to a close friend of mine (who is famous for her sport).
The most memorable celebs I have met are:
Dustin Hoffman- I was invited to his son's bar mitzvah and I totally danced with Dustin.
Ricky Schroeder- I had the hugest crush on him as a kid and then I met him at a holiday party for the NYPD Blue cast. I had a bit too much to drink though and kind of embarassed myself talking to him.
When I was 10 I was in a commercial with Tony Danza.

MichelleRC
07-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Lets see...one of my good friends from college was on a pretty popular sitcom in the 80's and is now a voice (albeit annoying) on a show on Noggin. Haven't spoken to her in years but she would most definitely know me.
Way back when I lived in NY, I interned at Saturday Night Live and Entertainment Tonight so I met celebrities pretty regularly and briefly.
And lastly, DH and I met working at a pretty posh resort--he was the head tennis pro and hit with quite a few celebs--if I can recall, Wolf Blitzer, the guy who wrote Forest Gump, Hugh Hefners daughter, I can't remember who else, but I know there were more.

I think that's it for now...

salsah
07-03-2009, 07:30 PM
I met Ethan Hawk once at a bookstore. he told me that I "smell good" -- twice. A friend of mine from elementary school thru high school starred in a show on nick (among other things including some modeling).

happymom
07-03-2009, 07:44 PM
I am dying to know who voted "I AM a famous person"!!

:yeahthat:

salsah
07-03-2009, 08:10 PM
i just remembered that i have two degrees of separation with Tom Cruise (and Mimi Rogers), Willem Dafoe, Henry Winkler (Fonzie from Happy Days), and Denzel Washington. Although I never met them, I know people who know them well (family or someone they dated).

MmeSunny
07-03-2009, 08:15 PM
I went to the same school as Roxana Saberi. We were both French majors in a pretty small department. We spoke a couple of times.

Also was in plays in college with Rich Sommer, of Mad Men. He played my "luv-ah" and father of my son in one play.

Joolsplus2
07-03-2009, 08:20 PM

ROFL! Hey, me too :bowdown:

But seriously... I guess my uncle in law was a US Representative for a term or two, is that famous? My mom and I lived with Tom Selleck's personal secretary and her kid when I was little...she used to sign some of his pictures for him we'd read his fan mail and it scored us backstage passes to a Journey concert. I started a registry at BRU for a local news anchor gal, and tried to help her pick out a decent double stroller....

:)

bubbaray
07-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Just remembered -- a girl/woman now that I went to HS with went on to become one of the directors or producers of The Simpsons. Apparently she is quite famous in Hollywood. Not that I would know, never having watched that show.

niccig
07-03-2009, 08:42 PM
We live in LA, and DH works in the entertainment industry, so he has met people through work. He's worked with Mel Gibson and Orlando Bloom.

Me personally, I was standing 5 ft from Kiefer Sutherland at LAX. I had DS in the stroller and all our bags at the curb, waiting for DH to get the car from the parking lot. I saw the photographers so knew someone was there, but DH had to point him out to me - I'm pretty unobservant. He's shorter than you think.

DH's best friend from HS was the director of Groove and November. Through him we met Courtney Cox and hung out for 1 day on the set.

I've seen some other people. Sat next to Ed Astner while waiting to get a table at a local brunch place. His wife thought DS was a cute baby and DS was flirting with her.

DH saw a drummer from a famous rock band, maybe Led Zepplin, I can't remember. But it was at the deli counter at the supermarket. When you see someone like that, you try to act cool and pretend you don't notice who they are.

MontrealMum
07-03-2009, 09:19 PM
I may have mentioned this last time, I can't remember.

When I was home a few years back, DH and I were shopping at what is now Macy's in the lingerie section. So was Anthony Kiedis...with his mom :D Of course, I hadn't a clue, and DH was doing all this gesturing and making funny noises; here I am thinking "shut up dude, I'm trying to find sale bras". He told me later when we saw them again downstairs. I've never actually met him, but according to interviews I've read, we apparently grew up in the same 'hood - he's older though ;) Also, the same hood as Debarge, but that's another story entirely.

amandabea
07-03-2009, 09:22 PM
My DH was an extra in the Charlie's Angels movie (I think the first one) and he made appearances on a show called Nikki (I think that was the name). My DH knows Jason Alexander. A local news anchor and a soap opera star were at our wedding. I'm fairly oblivious to celeb sightings.

Corie
07-03-2009, 09:24 PM
My fraternal grandparents' best friends were the Klusewski's.
As in Ted Klusewski. He was a well-known Cincinnati Reds baseball
player. They were neighbors in Cincinnati.

My husband graduated from high school with Renee Zellweger. They
were in the same graduating class.

Nothing major.

Edited to add: I should mention that I am a huge celebrity spotter. If someone
even remotely famous if anywhere within a 100 yards of me, I will spot them.
I do this all the time. My DH usually has no idea who I am talking about.

KpbS
07-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Went to HS w/ a very famous LA Laker. Really nice guy.

maestramommy
07-03-2009, 09:47 PM
I taught Mesach Taylor's (Designing Women) daughter for a year, and met him briefly at the end of the year concert. He probably wouldn't remember me.

I also taught James Picardo (is that his first name?) daughter for 3 years, and he showed up to parent conferences and talked with me when she was in 7th grade. He might remember me. He was such a nice person too!

tnrnchick74
07-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Celebrities I've met:
Barbara Walters
Keanu Reeves
Reece Witherspoon
Ryan Phillippe
Nancy Kerrigan
Michelle Kwan
Irina Slutzkya
Tina turner

I was in the National Guard with Reece Witherspoon's father - he's a flight surgeon. I know him pretty well & have met Reece several times, though I doubt she would remember my name or face.

dcmom2b3
07-03-2009, 10:06 PM
I met Ethan Hawk once at a bookstore. he told me that I "smell good" -- twice.

Would you please share what scent you were wearing that day? I'm only half kidding . .

[quote=Moneypenny;2410972]I'm Johnny Depp's mistress.[quote]

See, I KNEW he was cheating on me. Good thing I've got Chris Noth in my back pocket. :hysterical:

More seriously, having spent so many years in DC, I know no one who counts as a celeb outside the beltway, and too many who are "famous" in our little fishbowl here.

With one exception:

I had just made a spectacle of myself in getting out of my car, 7.5 mos pregnant and in full awkward, waddle mode, parking on the street, with traffic and delivery trucks, etc. This was summer '06.

So I look over, after hiking up my yoga pants to cover my underpants, lo and behold, who do I see? Then-senator Obama. He was in a really shiny black Saab (passenger's seat) pulling out of the garage at the Library of Congress. He seemed empathetic to my waddling plight, and smiled when I put my hand to the small of my back thinking "omygosh, did you just see the top of my thong?"

Sorry, OT. But the fact that he wasn't phased; methinks that FLOTUS has had a bad thong incident or two. Or twenty.

I feel like I know a bit of both of them.

julevizamom
07-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Yes, I know more than one famous person. I did live in L.A. ;) One of my children's godfather is famous -- as in, magazine covers, TV star, been in in major studio movies.

Please, please, please give us a hint.:innocent:

wellyes
07-03-2009, 10:14 PM
My mom went to high school with Trent Reznor's parents. They weren't married yet, of course. She said his dad looked like a rat and his mom had an 'easy' reputation.

I once saw Sinbad (the comedian) on a street corner.

That is all.

Fairy
07-03-2009, 10:15 PM
I taught Mesach Taylor's (Designing Women) daughter for a year, and met him briefly at the end of the year concert. He probably wouldn't remember me.

I also taught James Picardo (is that his first name?) daughter for 3 years, and he showed up to parent conferences and talked with me when she was in 7th grade. He might remember me. He was such a nice person too!

Robert Picardo? Voyager? China Beach? My DH sat at his table often during autographs. He is a nice guy. Wouldn't know us from Adam. Very cool!

vludmilla
07-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Met "Darth Vader" in a bookstore with DH who is usually very cool and collected but Darth made him lose his cool. Btw, he was wearing velcro sneakers.

Went to hs with a famous, professional basketball player (womens)

I work with the aunt of the little boy who will be starring in the Wimpy Kid movies.

Another woman that I work knows a famous black, lesbian comedian because her sister is married to her.

I've met local newscasters at benefit events.

My *teenaged* cousin plays back up musician for various high level musicians.

I am friends with Tito Puente's granddaughter who is a recorded musician in her own right.

My husband has recorded some of his own music and is known in his small, niche musical world.

Carrots
07-03-2009, 10:48 PM
I don't know anyone famous.

I have only had "brushes with fame". My cousin is a writer for the NBC Nightly News and I met Tom Brokaw when I went to visit her and get a tour of the studio. He was very nice. Haven't met Brian Williams yet. :)

Then I have seen other celebs and athletes on the street. DH is better at picking them out than I am. Neither of us are the type to try to get an autograph or picture with a celeb, though.

Oh, DH has a friend from college who is a news reporter (anchor?) in Wisconsin. We sat with him at a wedding a few years ago.

I'm pretty boring.

pb&j
07-03-2009, 11:22 PM
My small city has an oddly high proportion of famous people living here, and I've met most of them at some point or another, and am friends/acquaintances w/a couple. I can think of at least a half dozen household names that I have met at one point or another, and a lot of people whose names you wouldn't necessarily know, but whose jobs/works/pedigrees you might.

Arguably the most famous person I became acquainted with was JFK, Jr. When I was a flight instructor in FL, he was a student at my flight school. I was good friends and next door neighbors w/one of his instructors. I used to see him every day at the flight school, and at the gym. He'd put on a baseball cap and nobody had any idea who he was! He was unbelievably kind and gracious - you could really tell that his mama raised him right.

lchang25000
07-03-2009, 11:31 PM
My husband is a physician and when we lived in LA, he treated a few A list celebrities. We've also seen several celebrities out and about at dinner.

MMMommy
07-04-2009, 12:27 AM
In college I dated the guy who directed/made the two most recent Fast and Furious movies (Fast and Furious from this year and the Tokyo Drift one) and the movies "Annapolis" and "Better Luck Tomorrow." I was an undergrad at UCLA, and he was a film student there.

Didn't know, but met (sightings or autographs): Barry Manilow, BBD (Bell Biv Devoe), Steven Seagal, Kareem Abdul Jabaar, Harry Connick, Jr., Lauren Holly, Joan Chen, Michael Jordan, Sid Caesar, Mickey Dolenz, and Kramer from Seinfeld.

Oh, I forgot to add that I shook Bill Clinton's hand when he visited my college campus while touring for his campaign. Wasn't the president yet, but soon was!

avd3875
07-04-2009, 01:39 AM
This is such a great thread.

Back when DH and I met we were working at FAO Schwarz. DH sold a Playstation to Robin Williams. I sold things to Neve Campbell and Wynonna. However, my most memorable customer was Kevin Bacon. At first I didn't realize who it was (he was hiding behind a hat and sunglasses). Once I figured it out I did my best to stay calm, and not alert anyone to who was in the store. As I rang him up I asked if there was anything else he would like, I even suggested the "six degrees of Kevin Bacon game". He asked if I was any good at it. I told him that my brother and I often quiz each other, and he always wins. I then said, "But, it looks like I just won forever". He gave me a little smirk and off he went. I immediately called my brother to tell him that I was "one degree".

Not sure if this counts, since I paid for it, but I have also met most of the New Kids on the Block. My BFF and I went to their concert last October. We bought the special tickets that included meeting them. I spoke with Jon, Danny, and Joe. We're doing it again next Thursday, I'm going to try to meet Donnie and Jordan. Last time I was 17 weeks pregnant, this time I'll be dragging my pump along.

Even more exciting than meeting NKOTB ... one week before DD was born we met Mike Rowe, host of Dirty Jobs. DS LOVES that show, and thinks Mike Rowe is the coolest guy in the world. Mike Rowe was on a local news show and my brother got us into the audience. DS, and his friends, got to hang out in the green room with Mr. Rowe (as the boys kept calling him), and then he went and sat with them after his segment of the show was over. Seeing DS meet his hero was AMAZING!

MontrealMum
07-04-2009, 01:43 AM
Even more exciting than meeting NKOTB ... one week before DD was born we met Mike Rowe, host of Dirty Jobs. DS LOVES that show, and thinks Mike Rowe is the coolest guy in the world. Mike Rowe was on a local news show and my brother got us into the audience. DS, and his friends, got to hang out in the green room with Mr. Rowe (as the boys kept calling him), and then he went and sat with them after his segment of the show was over. Seeing DS meet his hero was AMAZING!
This is so great, especially the pic!!! Talk about ironic. Right now DH's Outside is in our bathroom for DH's reading - open to the interview with Mike Rowe! I like the show, but I had not realized that he's such an interesting person.

kijip
07-04-2009, 02:07 AM
I was thinking "only if politicians count" because I have met a fair number and a few (mostly local ones), including a person in Congress, would definitely know me. A couple of local ones and I are quite friendly.

But then I remembered that we have a lot of musicians here, 1 (who fronts a very well known band) knows me.

Also, I worked for the opera and met a lot of opera singers, though none would know me in return. But that is a rather narrow scope of fame these days, LOL.

pinay
07-04-2009, 02:55 AM
My younger bro's FIL is a well-known chef who has done numerous television appearances locally.

An old classmate from jr. high was on a variety of '90s tv shows and is still in the biz. We're FB friends, if that counts for anything :)

I used to work p/t for a professional sports organization and met many of the players. None of them would recognize me, but I definitely recognize them!

rlu
07-04-2009, 03:19 AM
I marked met famous people, don't know me - but that's really just a couple dozen Trek conventions in the 80s and 90s for autographs. Love Marina sitting there with a carton of ice cream as she signs. John De Lancie walked the line to sign autographs (line was around the corner and down the block from the Masonic Center) and spoke a few words with us about the craziness of the situation (Rene was doing charity signatures).

Otherwise, I don't think I know anyone truly famous. FIL was a good friend of Rigo Chacon (local reporter and so much more) but the only time I met him was at FIL's funeral. BIL is friends with Jim Kelly's brother and my nephew attends Jim Kellys football camp each year through that connection. DH used to work with Kat Parra.

Melbel
07-04-2009, 05:25 AM
Arguably the most famous person I became acquainted with was JFK, Jr. When I was a flight instructor in FL, he was a student at my flight school. I was good friends and next door neighbors w/one of his instructors. I used to see him every day at the flight school, and at the gym. He'd put on a baseball cap and nobody had any idea who he was! He was unbelievably kind and gracious - you could really tell that his mama raised him right.

This reminds me of a Seinfeld episode!

mommy111
07-04-2009, 08:45 AM

That brought tears to my eyes, the fact that you can have a moms legacy live on like that in her kids

Melaine
07-04-2009, 08:51 AM
After reading some of these, I'd like to withdraw my answer to the other thread about "Are you boring now that you have kids?"

I'm going to be boring no matter what I do, because I don't know anyone cool!!!

neeleymartin
07-04-2009, 08:56 AM
i met john knight from new kids on the block in 1999. i wasn't allowed to talk about the band according to friend, as it is constant for john. really bummer b/c i was a huge fan. so hard to bite my tongue. just a normal guy, really nice.

Puddy73
07-04-2009, 09:12 AM
I've met a number of famous people, but I seriously doubt that any of them would know my name: Robert Redford, Will Smith, Michael Stipe, Greg Allman, Casey Afflek, Daryl Hannah, Jordan Knight and Gwyneth Paltrow.

Miley Cyrus is filming a movie here now but I've managed to avoid her so far. :)

BillK
07-04-2009, 09:20 AM
I once saw Pittsburgh Steeler -Troy Polamalu at Best Buy buying a HDTV. :tongue5:

I saw pro wrestler Andre the Giant at the airport once - he wouldn't give me an autograph (I was like 12-13 at the time) and I was devastated - I never liked him after that!

Oh and I used to play Everquest in the same guild as the guy that owned 3D Realms (the video game studio) that was creating Duke Nukem Forever (they never did finish it).

My life is pretty boring and mundane really.

Fairy
07-04-2009, 09:30 AM
I once saw Pittsburgh Steeler -Troy Polamalu at Best Buy buying a HDTV. :tongue5:

Oh and I used to play Everquest in the same guild as the guy that owned 3D Realms (the video game studio) that was creating Duke Nukem Forever (they never did finish it).

My life is pretty boring and mundane really.

I *loved* the Duke Nukem games. Before DS came along, I blew threw them with an obsession. The first person shooters were always far better than the last one they did. I don't think they'll be compatible with XP or Vista these days. Ah, good memories. Hated those octopus aliens.

la mama
07-04-2009, 09:37 AM
The person I know is more of a local celebrity but their business has spread. I went to HS with two of the daughters of the Culver's Frozen Custard and ButterBurger business. Anyone else know of it? We run into each other quite often and keep meaning to hang out.

Fairy
07-04-2009, 09:39 AM
We're frequent Culvers-goers, here.

MartiesMom2B
07-04-2009, 10:17 AM
I've met Rocco Dispirito when my dad was in a competition that he judged. I used to see one of the designers for Trading Places at my local target all the time. I don't remember what his name is, but he had long black hair and would wear it in a pony tail.

elliput
07-04-2009, 10:44 AM
I have known several local TV and radio personalities when I was active in community theater. I have met Kathleen Battle (opera star) and several other famous musicians. I was an extra in a movie starring Robert Duvall and Glenn Close- my brother has actual screen credit. There are also several authors/artists I have met as I have attended several sci-fi cons.

My biggest "claim to fame" is I dated a guy who has an Academy Award. For privacy reasons I prefer not to name names on this one. :wink2: And DH does know and has met him also.

My SIL used to pilot Jungle Boats at Disneyland- she's met everybody. Michael Jackson, Hugh Jackman, Johnny Depp just to name a few.

DietCokeLover
07-04-2009, 10:46 AM
I don't know anyone, but my DH knows several. He is friends and a former competitor with a famous PGA Golfer who is known for being pretty outlandish. He is also friends with a former presidential candidate from the last election. He has also had many conversations and car rides with a former two term president, when he was governor in the state DH was living in.

One of my close friends is a first cousin to Brad Pitt, though she doesn't have a lot of contact with him these days.

Growing up, I was convinced that I knew Mr. Rogers from Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. However, as I grew up and stated this many times, my parents informed me that the Mr. Rogers that I was talking about was not THE Mr. Rogers, but a Mr. Rogers who owned the local meat market. I was devastated!

ThreeofUs
07-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Hey, Fairy! I know the guy who wrote "The Physics of Star Trek". Does that count??

(And we used to live in Santa Barbara, so I've met/talked to a lot of the movie stars. Just happens out there, nothing big.)

love_a_latte
07-04-2009, 10:53 AM
i just remembered that i have two degrees of separation with ...Willem Dafoe,...Although I never met them, I know people who know them well (family or someone they dated).

I have been head over heels in live with Willem Dafoe for over half my life (I did the math a couple months ago), and once missed meeting him by ONE DAY! He was saying in Seattle for a while, doing a play I think, and went into a Kinko's a couple times a day to check email, etc. I happened to know someone who worked there, and was planning a visit (planned before I found out about WD), and was SO excited. Then He left the stinking day before I got there. GRRR. Oh well...

Anyways, I once ran into Arnold Schwarzenegger in LA (shocking, I know), and got so flustered (I was 18) that I kept on tipping over a tea light holder while I tried to get my camera, and the candle kept on falling out. After the forth time Arnold looked at me and said "You dropped your candle." Without even thinking I blurted out "Shut-up, I know that", then turned beet red.

I did snap a picture, but felt pretty dumb.

Ahhh, youth....

maestramommy
07-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Robert Picardo? Voyager? China Beach? My DH sat at his table often during autographs. He is a nice guy. Wouldn't know us from Adam. Very cool!

That's him. The one who plays a holograph, right? I don't watch Voyager, but recognized him from "Innerspace" on his daughter's first day of school. He was walking outside of my classroom and trying to get her attention so he could snap a pic. I had no idea he was a parent and just thought, OMG it's the Cowboy! :ROTFLMAO:

Like I said, very nice. And quite on top of his daughter's progress in spite of what must be a pretty crazy schedule.

Robbie Benson daughter also went to our school, as well as both of Markie Post's daughters. Only one of the daughters was in my classes, but I heard Post was always great when she volunteered at school. Her Dh could be a bit of a bully though. Towards teachers I mean.

shawnandangel
07-04-2009, 11:14 AM
The person I know is more of a local celebrity but their business has spread. I went to HS with two of the daughters of the Culver's Frozen Custard and ButterBurger business. Anyone else know of it? We run into each other quite often and keep meaning to hang out.

This is our FAVORITE fast food restaurant. So much so that DH and I were talking about opening up one ourselves in Nashville since the closest one is in Bowling Green KY. :(

Well, you'd think living in Nashville I would see all sorts of country music stars but I don't. :(

I've met some of the band members from Little Big Town, and that's about it fo me!

Fairy
07-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Hey, Fairy! I know the guy who wrote "The Physics of Star Trek". Does that count??

(And we used to live in Santa Barbara, so I've met/talked to a lot of the movie stars. Just happens out there, nothing big.)

Hell yes! And BTW, I have that book. It's a goodie!

almostamom
07-04-2009, 01:36 PM
A close relative of mine is a fairly well-known author and another is the host of a local television show. I went to middle school and high school with Curt Schilling who pitched for the Phillies, D-Backs, and the Red Sox. He also went to the elementary school I taught at and there is a baseball field there in his honor. I've met some of the Dallas Cowboys from the 1980s and some NBA players from the early 1990s. I've met Cotton Fitzsimmons, former head coach of the Phoenix Suns. I tutored Sandra Day O'Connor's granddaughter for a short while. I know two women who were finalists in the Miss America pageant. My dad was friends with Lou Ferrigno when we lived in NY. DH went to high school with Janet Napolitano (FIL was her PE teacher in elementary school).

Linda

Corie
07-04-2009, 09:35 PM

When we lived in Dallas, we spotted many Dallas Cowboys out in restaurants.

Daryl Johnston "Moose", Chad Hennings, Troy Aikman, etc.

Troy Aikman sat right beside us at Via Real in Las Colinas. I don't think my
husband ate one bite of his food.

dogmom
07-04-2009, 09:56 PM
I marked other, I am related to a famous person, Andy Warhol. My grandmother was first cousins with him and grew up with him. She said he was a "Momma's boy" lol.

Fairy
07-04-2009, 10:39 PM
I marked other, I am related to a famous person, Andy Warhol. My grandmother was first cousins with him and grew up with him. She said he was a "Momma's boy" lol.

That makes you first cousins twice removed. His brothers grandchildren and yourself would be third cousins. Ya know, useless info for ya . . .

purpleeyes
07-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Ok, I don't *know* any celebrities, but I've met a few:

Autographs/Met:
Bono
Barenaked Ladies
Rosie O'Donnell

And, I was 'ambushed' by Emeril at a Whole Foods for his tv show Emeril Green...he asked me a bunch of questions about feeding kids, making baby food, etc. (I had DD with me in the cart). I DVR his show every week just in case I make it on it!!

dukie41181
07-04-2009, 11:17 PM
I went to HS with Tom Welling (Smallville, Cheaper by the Dozen) who, although an actor now, was an Abercrobie & Fitch model at the time.

I also met Al Roker when he talked to LIVE on camera before his weather segment. The same day I also met Ann Curry who was a very sweet and kind-hearted woman.

My BIL was just in a Broadway show and introduced us to some well-known people in the musical theatre circle.

MontrealMum
07-04-2009, 11:17 PM
And, I was 'ambushed' by Emeril at a Whole Foods for his tv show Emeril Green...he asked me a bunch of questions about feeding kids, making baby food, etc. (I had DD with me in the cart). I DVR his show every week just in case I make it on it!!

This makes me wonder, any of you out in LA ever get ambushed by Curtis Stone? Or know of anyone? I used to LOVE that show!

Also,
"Well behaved women seldom make history" ~L. Ulrich ...I've met her and she's great :)

TonFirst
07-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Define famous. I'm a local elected official, does that count?

I've met many, many local, state and national politicians, from Newt Gingrich to John Edwards. Back when I was lobbying I had a 20-minute meeting with John McCain.

I've met a lot of Hollywood types, as well - no one too big. Laurence Fishburne, Steven Baldwin (seriously, total B-list types), I saw David Carradine in the Crown Room at LAX a few years ago, I worked backstage at a concert venue in high school, so I met a lot of musicians that way. Oh! During a trip to Maui a few years ago, we stayed at the same resort as Arnold Schwarzenegger and his family - Maria and all the kids - and we were always at the same restaurants about a table over from the family.

But - most notably - I was at a backstage event a couple of years ago and had my picture taken with - wait for it - FLAVOOOOOOOR FLAAAAAAAAAVE. (You have to say it the way he says it, see.)

MamaMolly
07-04-2009, 11:52 PM
I loaned Colin Firth a jar of peanut butter and a box of graham crackers. We were living overseas and he was there making a movie and his kids ran out of PB and crackers, and his assistant contacted a group of Americans for help. IMO he still owes me one. ;)

I know I posted before about meeting Prince Charles when I was 6 or 7.

I also met John Snyder at Lake Lanier in GA. It was smack in the middle of the Dukes of Hazard and we were SOOOOO star struck, and he was SOOOOO good looking! Those abs! He was also kind and signed scraps of a paper bag for all of us.

Also as a kid I met Jimmy Carter at the opening of Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta.

DH rode on an elevator with Angelina Jolie. Said she wasn't that pretty, but he doesn't think she is anyway. I think she is beautiful.

I'll need Fairy's help to help me figure out the relationships, but I'm somehow related to the country singer Luke Bryan. He is my dad's brother's wife's nephew. (My Aunt's nephew?) Maybe we are only related by marriage. I dunno. But he is a super sweet guy.

TonFirst
07-05-2009, 12:01 AM
i loaned colin firth...

omg. You win.

MontrealMum
07-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Colin Firth, Molly? OMG!!! Is there a yummy smilie on here? :love5:

mom_hanna
07-05-2009, 12:14 AM
A dear friend of mine is a member of a famous pop/rock band (now on hiatus and he is solo), and he also won a grammy a few years back for songwriting. I met him when I was 16 and a band he was in played at our high school dance - I was on the student activities committee and so booked them, set up for/with them, and paid them when it was all said and done. I met Clint Eastwood when I was 15 and we were skiing in Sun Valley, Idaho. I am sure that 2 minutes afterwards he wouldn't have remembered my name. Oh yeah, and I sold a Sunday paper to Mandy Patankin back when I lived in Seattle and worked at a bookstore there.

Fairy
07-05-2009, 12:38 AM
I loaned Colin Firth a jar of peanut butter ...

Yep, she sure does. Colin Firth?! Sigh.

I'll need Fairy's help to help me figure out the relationships, but I'm somehow related to the country singer Luke Bryan. He is my dad's brother's wife's nephew. (My Aunt's nephew?) Maybe we are only related by marriage. I dunno. But he is a super sweet guy.

Jeez, Molly, ya gave me a run for my money on this one. I mean, seriously, this stuff comes to me in an instant, but this one? Had to really think hard here. This one is related only by marriage. He is your aunt's nephew, so assuming it's only on her side, meaning HER sibling's child, then there is no familial relationship. If it were your uncle's nephew, too, then this would either be your brother :), or it's another sibling's son. In that case, we're talkin' your first cousin. BUT, this is by marriage only, so if you must assign a familial relationship to it, then it's your first cousin by marriage. So, there ya go.

Fairy
07-05-2009, 12:42 AM

Hmm. Well, if you're, like, the mayor of a big city or town, I'd say you're a famous person. Up to you to decide how big that is :-). My version of "I am a famous person" would be, like, an actor, musician, someone well-known. But publicly elected official certainly fits the bill!

hellbennt
07-05-2009, 01:29 PM
I went to hs w/ Uma Thurman. She was in my graduating class (well she left our school junior year to pursue her acting career), but I doubt she'd know who I was. She might/would? know who my friends were, specifically my boy friend and his best friend...her good friend, Galaxy Craze (wrote a book but I never read it) was in a P.E. swim class with me, but I doubt she'd remember me either (I just googled her & it turns out she's an actress, too)...

my personal biggest event would only make sense for any deadheads out there...
I met Bear Owsley backstage at a dead show! that was a lifetime highlight for me:tongue5: but he would not know me...

I've met Gloria Estefan and she would know me by name, if referenced by my sister's name...

purpleeyes
07-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Also, ...I've met her and she's great :)

Ohh, cool!!

dukie41181
07-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Oh yeah, and my dad went to high school with Ervin Magic Johnson and I have a friend who is related to Tom Izzo (Michigan State University mens basketball coach).

mm123
07-05-2009, 05:12 PM
When I was in high school, I shook Brian Mulroney's hand. He was prime minister (of Canada) at the time. Now, all I think about that is...ick...

pinkmomagain
07-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Sat at a table with Phil Donaghue at a wedding...that was the most "chatty" I'd say I've gotten with a celeb. Spending alot of time in Manhattan and the Hamptons, I've spotted/met several celebs (last week we saw Kelly Ripa and hubby Mark out for an afternoon run in the Hamptons). It never gets old for me. It is one of the few things (spotting celebs) that really give me a thrill. I try to be real cool about it and rarely go up to one, but I get so excited!

And one day, I may be the mom of one. My oldest really wants to be a serious actress...she's very good too.

turtledove
07-05-2009, 09:33 PM
I played on the same soccer team with Jason Mraz in elementary school. I was the only girl on the team and he and one other guy were the only boys on the team who would talk to me. Have no idea what he is like now, but he was really nice back then!

neeleymartin
07-05-2009, 09:43 PM
dh just reminded me that we went to hs with the pink power ranger. yippee!!

i also saw bob vila at marshalls in hyannis about 10 years ago.

totally forgot, i bought a crib on craigslist from sally taylor (daughter or james taylor and carly simon). didn't know who she was at the time. her dh and my dh spoke when they loaded up the crib. he made a joke like "well, if you decide you don't like this crib, resale would be killer on ebay." carly bought it for them. my son sleeps in the carly simon crib, too cool. she was so down to earth. really someone i could see myself hanging around with. i had her cell phone number in my phone. i had to delete it, the chance of me stalking her was too high. :hysterical:

also went to hs with ben curtis (son of tony curtis, 1/2 brother to jamie lee)

when i was about 10 or 11 i met the red headed goofy friend of richie cunningham at the golf course.

glad i shared this post with dh. my brain in mush.

mommylamb
07-05-2009, 09:48 PM
I live here in DC (aka ugly hollywood) and I work for politicians from both sides of the aisle.

maylips
07-05-2009, 09:51 PM

But - most notably - I was at a backstage event a couple of years ago and had my picture taken with - wait for it - FLAVOOOOOOOR FLAAAAAAAAAVE. (You have to say it the way he says it, see.)

Are you the mayor of Wasila, AK? That would make you famous! :) But you lose points having a photo of Flavoooooooor Flaaaaaaaaaave. There's a pride factor, you know....:ROTFLMAO:

I introduced President Clinton at an event when I was in college. He was my governor for 12 years too, since I grew up in AR, and in that small of state, seeing/hanging out with the governor is not like other states. I remember complaining in 10th grade about having to go to the gov's mansion for a lunch with Hillary and my mom (who grew up in NY) saying to me "____, it was a big deal for us to see the MAYOR and you see the governor and his family on a regular basis." Put things in perspective even for my snotty teenage self. I also know the current governor well enough that he would hug me and call me by name. He's a great guy. Actually, I'm thinking about all the politicians in AR and I know a BUNCH of them - but again, I just ran in that crowd and it really is a small state.

One of my HS best friends was 2nd runner up in the Miss America pageant. She is also locally famous for her commercials that she still does regionally.

And my husband's prior job was as a pro athlete, so we know a lot of players. It's one thing I adore about him - he is not a name dropper, so he doesn't walk around talking about all the people he played with/against to people in our town.

Interesting story - I have a friend who is from Missouri, and his BIL ran around with guys who were supposedly close to Brad Pitt. Back when Mr and Mrs Smith was being filmed, he spent a week with the BIL in LA and he came back saying that Angelina and Brad were having an affair and Brad was tired of how "perfect" Jennifer was because it was boring. I refused to believe it. Guess I was a tad wrong.

neeleymartin
07-05-2009, 09:55 PM
I also forgot, I've recently became a co-owner of General Motors,

:hysterical: me too.

neeleymartin
07-05-2009, 10:01 PM

are you vladimir putin?

jent
07-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Do reality shows count? I grew up in Northern NJ and my stepmom knows some of the people in "The Real Housewives of NJ" show (but not so well that they'd know our names).

Oh, and I went to HS with Tara Reid. But I don't consider her famous, just overexposed.

When DH was young, his family went stayed at a hotel for a few days in Ireland and he made friends with another child there & his mom socialized with the other mom a bit (the hotel served dinner to the kids early and separately from the adults). After a few days, they met the dad, and it was Michael Palin (of Monty Python fame).

katydid1971
07-05-2009, 11:25 PM
I use to trick or treat at Evel Knievel's house when he was really big ( the early 70's) and am still friends with some of his family members. DH's uncle is a NFL coach who has won the superbowl (DH and I were only dating at the time so I didn't get tickets).

SammyeGail
07-06-2009, 08:39 AM

That brings one back, early 1991, never been to a concert, friends talk me into going to, ummmm, Vanilla Ice. My girlfriend who was very big boned and strong pushed our way to the front, a big guy with security kept having to push her back (she was really acting crazy) she kept asking for one his sweaty t-shirts, a towel, the security guy did get her a towel at the very end of the concert, he said 'ok, here it is, anything else I can do for you?' she says 'yeah! give me this..' rips his SECURITY sticker off his shirt and takes off. I'm in total shock and run too. She says we can get back stage with it, I think she's crazy! Our other friend said he's just going to wait outside for us, he doesn't want to get arrested (I weigh like 98 lbs so she's dragging me along with this deer in headlight look on my face). She was 20 I think, doing this like she's done it 100 times before. We go to the 'back stage' line. Guy is coming thru the line checking everyone out, she tells me to act cool, ok, I'm not the one with the stolen SECURITY sticker on my shirt. he gets to her, she says 'I'm with security, and this is my friend, I was told it was ok for her to go back with me.' he said sure, fine. She was totally cool and this idiot believed she was actually with security!?! As we get closer she starts getting hyper excited. She's in front of me, when its her turn to meet him, she doesn't shake his hand, drool, or anything, (he's got himself layed up on a table like a display, what a dufus) she jumps up on the table and starts trying to kiss him and grab his crotch! I swear, it was the craziest thing I ever saw, there were 10 men on her trying to drag her off, I ran out of the exit like I didn't know her, she comes out about 30 seconds later screaming over and over again 'I touched his thing!! I touched his thing!! OMG, I touched his thing!!'

Phew, and she was a pastors daughter, at church the next morning like she was the usual sweetheart they all thought she was. She was a fun and crazy friend to be around, but after that I was prepared for anything from her in a public outing, LOL!

MamaMolly
07-06-2009, 08:55 AM
OMG Samantha, that one has me in tears! :ROTFLMAO: It is always the preacher's daughter isn't it?
Awesome!

pb&j
07-06-2009, 09:13 AM
totally forgot, i bought a crib on craigslist from sally taylor (daughter or james taylor and carly simon). didn't know who she was at the time. her dh and my dh spoke when they loaded up the crib. he made a joke like "well, if you decide you don't like this crib, resale would be killer on ebay." carly bought it for them. my son sleeps in the carly simon crib, too cool. she was so down to earth. really someone i could see myself hanging around with. i had her cell phone number in my phone. i had to delete it, the chance of me stalking her was too high. :hysterical:

That reminds me - when I was 7, my family went to Bermuda on vacation, and stayed at a resort hotel, the kind where you have assigned tables for dinner. The family we were assigned with turned out to be Carly Simon and James Taylor and their kids, Ben and Sally. I remember playing on the beach with Ben and Sally, but had no realization that their family was famous, until my sister pointed it out to me like 20 years later!

TonFirst
07-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Are you the mayor of Wasila, AK?

HA! No. I pride myself in my ability to form a coherent sentence. I am told I have a lot in common with Sarah Palin, and I suppose that is true for several reasons:

1) We are both brunette.

2) We both have bangs, and I do admire her ability to make a hairclip updo look somewhat sophisticated.

3) We have both given birth.

4) We are both women.

5) We are both married - but not to each other! That would be unseemly.

5) I have been to Alaska once, in the 10th grade.

6) We both have a family dog.

7) We have both served on a city council.

8) We both appreciate a good high heel.

OMG! I am totally just like her! Spooky! ;)

Veronica's Mommy
07-06-2009, 10:55 AM
I went to HS with a comic book writer/illustrator. He's newer, but has already won awards & geeks would know who he is. :wavey: They even reviewed him on NPR. We weren't good friends, but we knew the same people. Two of his main characters are based on my BFF's brother & my 1st boyfriend.

But other than that, I have met many many famous people. I stopped asking for autographs and try to get hugs instead. They usually oblige!

maylips
07-06-2009, 01:51 PM
When I was in 10th grade or so, my b/f/f's older sister took us to a Milli Vanilli concert at the height of their fame. She sat in the bleachers while we fought our way down to the floor level and wherever she was, she somehow met someone connected to the band. He told her where they were staying and invited us back to the hotel (I'm sure he was hoping to get lucky, poor guy, and ended up asking the wrong girls).

Anyway, we went to that hotel and waited for the bus. Finally, the two "singers" got off. Somehow, we got to talking to them and my b/f/f said to one of them "I like your jacket" and he replied (in the thickest accent ever) "Clothes? I always wear clothes." Um, apparently he couldn't understand English. I remember us riding home later and all of us saying "how do they sing the way they sing and have such thick accents and not understand English at all?" How 2 high school kids and a college girl figured out they were frauds before the rest of America is beyond me.

Still, great concert. They were fun performers! :)

dotgirl
07-06-2009, 02:27 PM
I've met several celebrities, but am actually related through marriage (my husband's cousin) to an actor featured prominently on the television show ER and in several movies.

Cam&Clay
07-06-2009, 02:38 PM
My BFF was engaged to Patton Oswalt, the comedian who was the voice of Ratatouille. He has been in a lot of things on Comedy Central and in a major sitcom. He definitely knows my name, as I was the one who set up the diversion when he asked her to marry him. This was in college, and both have since moved on. We see him when he's in town. Nice guy, and funny as hell.

gatorsmom
07-06-2009, 03:12 PM
I met and talked to Tom Cruise in Paris when he was there for the premiere of "Interview with a Vampire." I think he spent more time talking to me because I was the only one around who spoke English. I guess he doesn't speak French. :D

BabyMine
07-06-2009, 03:17 PM
I've met several celebrities, but am actually related through marriage (my husband's cousin) to an actor featured prominently on the television show ER and in several movies.

Is it George Clooney? :heartbeat:

dotgirl
07-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Is it George Clooney? :heartbeat:

Sadly (very very sadly) no, it is not.

MontrealMum
07-07-2009, 01:32 AM
I tend to forget this one as it's really DH's claim to fame. DH is cousins with the composer of an extremely famous broadway musical which was recently revived. I met him once when he came to play a benefit concert here. He's amazingly nice and has a daughter with the same name as me.

Fairy
07-07-2009, 01:59 AM

Was it Mekhi Pfeifer? I reeeely like him.

No? How about maybe ... Noah Wylie?

Ok, final guess. Anthony Edwards.

Hey, I had to try.

Katherine707
07-07-2009, 02:40 AM
My mom is a well known author of parenting/bf/pregnancy books. *Gushes with pride*

I also went to college with John Krasinski of The Office (he lived upstairs from me in my sophomore dorm and we were in an econ study group together). He's very cute and smart. George Harrison's son also went to college with me, and had an uncanny resemblance to his dad (which was super cool being a huge beatles fan)

mom2binsd
07-07-2009, 02:56 AM
How could I forget my New Year's Eve in NYC when I was standing next to Jason Priestley from 90210, got a picture with him too. He was waiting on his girlfriend but was happy to chat with a fellow Canadian.

I also got to know Joe Clark, Canada's 16th Prime Minister very well when I was younger, my mom was his executive assistant and traveled with him extensively. He and his wife even let me "babysit" their daughter, ok I was only 8 but I played with her, while mom was working with at their official residence some days.

DH got to know Dennis Rodman and Carmen Electra a little too well once, they were at a NFL game and DH was their contact/escort, they were out of control and did "it" in his staff bathroom where all could hear!

He also hosted Alec Baldwin for a game who was so appreciative he sent us a huge thank you basket with a bunch of 80 bottles of wine, chocolates etc...with a nice note too. Adam Sandler was also one his favorite guests.

NOLAmom08
07-07-2009, 03:42 PM
I used to work at the Johnson Space Center, so I've worked extensively with the some of the wonderful men and women crews of recent space expeditions. Some I have worked with include a flight surgeon who was on Mission Control during Apollo 13.

Others I've had brief contact with include Alton Brown, Art Alexis (lead singer for Everclear), President George Bush and the lead singer for Better than Ezra.

Fairy
07-07-2009, 04:04 PM
this last post reminded me about Gene Kranz & Jim Lovell. I live nearby to Jim Lovell and his restaurant, "Lovell's of Lake Forest," which is a fine steak house. He was played by Tom Hanks in Apollo 13. My Star Trek club held an event there, and we got the treat to end all treats when he agreed to come up to our party and meet us. I got a picture with him. I rarely post pix of myself, but I'm very proud of having met him. Celebrities don't intimidate me and make me all nervous anymore, having been in Trek fandom so long, but this guy? I was incapable of playing it cool. I was really nervous and felt so proud to have met him.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u178/FairyMay9/HilJimLovell.jpg

It was, um. A long time ago ...

I also met Gene Kranz, the guy responsible for getting Lovell's crew home (played by Ed Harris in the movie). Another wonderful man. Of course, neither of these guys would remember my name or my face; I was just another adoring admirer :heartbeat:

ETA --> Ohmigod, that's a really big picture. Sorry!
ETA Again --> Typos!

MontrealMum
07-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Hey, I can see why you're all about the hair now :) I am insanely jealous.

o_mom
07-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Hey, I can see why you're all about the hair now :) I am insanely jealous.

:yeahthat:

Lovin' the Hair!

egoldber
07-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Sarah who? ;) Love that hair!!! :bowdown:

dotgirl
07-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Oh, how could I forget this - my daughter went to school with the daughter of Ann Wilson (of the band "Heart") for 2 years.

Fairy
07-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Well, thank you, guys! I had it straightened that day at the salon! It's usually curly, and even with a straightner, I'm not good at doing it myself without alot of time and effort. So, this time I said, eh, let's go get it done. This was before DS. I *might* have gained a pound or maybe two since that time. :irked:

AnnieW625
07-07-2009, 05:07 PM
When I was in elementary school my grandparents became friends with Jack Stauffer, the actor who played Chuck on All My Children he was one of the original cast members IIRC, and was on the original Battlestar Gallactica. He used to go to USC football games and that's how I met him.

George Stephanophoulus, at a political event in 1996, he is pretty short. I got my photo taken with him. I also met our local congressman at the time, and stood within 50 yrds. of Bill Clinton at a speech he gave in our area (thanks to said congressman)

I went to high school with Boston Red Sox Dustin Pedroia's cousin, Dustin and I went to the same high school, and graduated 8 years apart I think.

I went to college with stylist/news reporter for some CA news stations Crystal Fambrini. From the moment I met her when she was a freshman and I was jr. I knew she was going to make it somewhere. I also met Marshall Faulk in college at the homecoming festivities when he was inducted into the SDSU Football Hall of Fame.

I have also met two of the four Maloof brothers (owners of the Palms Casino, and Sacramento Kings), and a number of WNBA players because I had to go to an entire home season of Sacramento Monarchs games in 1998 when I was an intern. I also worked with local Sacramento media personalities, and current ESPN sports analyst Dana Jacobsen.

I passed Andrew Shue in LAX in 1992. I shared an elevator with Bill Walton in Caesar's Tahoe in 1998 at the celeb. pro golf tourney, I stood less than 5 ft. from football players Marcus Allen, and Randy Cross at the same tourney.

I also made it on the phone to the Mark and Brian Radio program. I am pretty happy of that! :)

codex57
07-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Oh yeah. Speaking of people related to the Maloofs...

I was in a small Sports Law class taught by the general cousel of the Sacramento Kings and Geoff Petrie, the GM of the Kings, would come in and speak as well. Both are sooo not what I expected.

I don't really keep track of celebrity sightings, etc. I know I've met Ken Starr, and had an encounter with one of the Wayan Brothers (the bald one). a few more but since I never had a conversation with them beyond a sentence or two, I don't really count those.

AnnieW625
07-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Oh yeah. Speaking of people related to the Maloofs...

I was in a small Sports Law class taught by the general cousel of the Sacramento Kings and Geoff Petrie, the GM of the Kings, would come in and speak as well. Both are sooo not what I expected.

I don't really keep track of celebrity sightings, etc. I know I've met Ken Starr, and had an encounter with one of the Wayan Brothers (the bald one). a few more but since I never had a conversation with them beyond a sentence or two, I don't really count those.

I ate dinner at the same restaurant as Geoff Petrie once and he was just a really quiet guy. The Maloofs were super down to Earth and were so happy to be in Sacramento. That is still pretty well known in the area even though their team is not doing so hot these days.

JMS
07-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Sarah who? ;) Love that hair!!! :bowdown:

Um, yeah.. your hair is as good, if not better than SPs!!

billysmommy
07-07-2009, 08:13 PM
I worked at a Senior PGA event and got to drive Lee Trevino and ChiChi Rodriguez around in a golf cart :)

Fairy
07-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Um, yeah.. your hair is as good, if not better than SPs!!

::grouphug:

Corie
07-07-2009, 09:12 PM
I worked at a Senior PGA event and got to drive Lee Trevino and ChiChi Rodriguez around in a golf cart :)

Did you sword fight Chi Chi Rodriquez with his golf club? :)

Fairy
07-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Was it Mekhi Pfeifer? I reeeely like him.

No? How about maybe ... Noah Wylie?

Ok, final guess. Anthony Edwards.

Hey, I had to try.

I think it was Noah Wylie, Dot. I just have a feeling. :D

gatorsmom
07-08-2009, 05:24 PM
It was, um. A long time ago ...

OMG- Fairy, I'm soooo glad I got to see this picture. You are EXACTLY how I"d picture you except that I picture you with curly hair. You are very pretty.

Btw, just LOVEEEEE your velvet outfit. :love5: :D

Fairy
07-08-2009, 06:49 PM
You're a doll, Lisa, thank you!

Melanie
07-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Okay, I'm thinking the "I am famous" respondants are just pulling our legs.

Fairy
07-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Entirely possible. But, ya know, just cuz you're famous doesn't mean you don't use message boards and need the help, advice, and sounding board that a parenting board provides. Celebrities are parents, too, so who's to say a famous person isn't on our board? Ultimately, it's an anonymous place, there is no way they can be hounded here by the paps unless they out themselves, and they can just be mom or dad here like the rest of us. If I were famous, that's what I'd do :-)