PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans trip planning

luvmypeanut
07-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Any favorite hotels for families? How far is the Lakefront Arena from the French Quarter? And would I need to rent a car?

ged
07-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Not really a family friendly hotel, but we stayed at the Renaissance Arts ( or something like that) in the Warehouse/Arts district. It was more than a decent walk to the French Quarter, but manageable. Just a couple blocks to the indoor mall along the River, and close to the Children's Museum (though we didn't go), an Emeril's. I don't quite know where the Lakefront is, so I can't comment on that.

As for a car, I don't think you need one, unless you want to go visit the plantations...though you could just go on a tour for that. We took a van/tour to a swamp tour. Other than that, just walk and/or ride the streetcars.

shoremom
07-06-2009, 10:17 PM
We love NO. Don't know of any hotel recs. or where the Lakefront Arena is??. But we have always stayed in the French Quarter or business district with children. NO car needed. Most of the plantation and swamp tours have shuttles that will take you out to them. :)

Last time we went to the aquarium and bug museum which were both great.

fivi2
07-07-2009, 10:10 AM
we stayed at Westin on Canal recently. It was a great location and has a small rooftop pool. It is near the Riverwalk mall mentioned above and the Aquarium. We wanted to go to the Insectarium, but didn't make it. The Westin is a little run down imo, so I wouldn't pay a ton for it, but it is in a great location. I do prefer suite type hotels when I travel with kids, but don't know which ones are good in NOLA.

I love the Audobon zoo. You can take the St. Charles streetcar (past the pretty garden district houses) to the front of the park where a zoo shuttle will take you to the zoo entrance. The streetcar is slow, though. The girls loved walking along the river and watching the boats.

Not sure where the arena is!