PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Watching "The Deadliest Catch" marathon on Discovery?

alien_host
07-04-2009, 10:53 AM
DH and I came across this show http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/deadliestcatch.html about crab fishing on the Bering Sea off Alaska. I stayed up to 3AM last night watching the marathon and it continues today (another season).

I don't know why I'm hooked, but I am. It's just such a different lifestyle, living on a boat for months at a time, putting their lives on the line to fish for crabs.

Anyone else see this show?

wellyes
07-04-2009, 11:32 AM
I remember when I was in college there were employment ads all about how you could make tons & tons of money fishing in Alaska. I even knew a few guys who idly talked about maybe trying it.

Now I know they'd never ever ever make it. Those guys are TOUGH. I also now understand why professional fishing has such a high mortality rate. They do make a lot of money for a few weeks' work but they really do earn it.

billysmommy
07-04-2009, 12:57 PM
DH and I love that show!!!! We love Sigg on the Northwestern :)

alien_host
07-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Fortunately everyone was safe in the 2006 season, one guy did fracture his ankle. I only saw about 5 episodes of it. I can't even imagine, one guy's wife gave birth back home while he was at sea, when he first saw/held the baby he was over a month old!

Many of the guys have families at home and it seems so dangerous. I certainly will have a new appreciation for when I have Alaskan King Crab legs, although I've only had them a handful of times.

tnrnchick74
07-04-2009, 02:20 PM
I don't know why, but this is one of my guilty pleasures!

I LOVE the interaction between the crewmates! I could care less about the actual fishing, but the danger and the personalities are great!

LOVE Sigg on the NW!
Also love the Hillstrands on the Time Bandit!
I feel sorry for Phil on the CM - his health is so bad and he REALLY needs to stop smoking!

I also love Keith on the Wizard!

The smaller boats...eh.

Nooknookmom
07-04-2009, 03:28 PM
DH and I love that show!!!! We love Sigg on the Northwestern :)

Ditto! Been hooked since the shows debut!!

Puddy73
07-04-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm not watching the marathon because I always catch the new episodes! :) This show is a guilty pleasure for DH and me. We even thought about naming DD2 Sigg if she had been a boy. I liked the way it sounded with Finn, our DS.

But, dang, those boys need to quit smoking! Phil's health is awful and I think Sigg may have had a small heart attack on last week's episode (which he of course downplayed in typical Norwegian fashion).

tnrnchick74
07-04-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm not watching the marathon because I always catch the new episodes! :) This show is a guilty pleasure for DH and me. We even thought about naming DD2 Sigg if she had been a boy. I liked the way it sounded with Finn, our DS.

But, dang, those boys need to quit smoking! Phil's health is awful and I think Sigg may have had a small heart attack on last week's episode (which he of course downplayed in typical Norwegian fashion).

I TOTALLY agree about the smoking thing! It's TERRIBLE!!! I know they do it to keep awake, but seriously nicorette needs to become a sponsor and give them free stop smoking aids!!!

Gena
07-04-2009, 06:22 PM
We've liked the show since it started and watch it often.

However, today we've been watching The Twilight Zone marathon on SciFi. (I think it's still SciFi, or did they chance their name yet?)

DietCokeLover
07-04-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm fascinated by the show too. My confession is that I can't tell the crew members apart from one boat to another, but I really enjoy watching the process. Especially find it fascinating how they are with the greenhorns.

I'd love to know a bit about their wives -- that has to take a special kind of woman.

Neatfreak
07-05-2009, 12:14 AM
I can't remember which season it was, but one of their wives did come aboard to be the cook. I think she was on the Cornelia Marie ...

I adore Sigg, and I'm somewhat reticent to watch the show more because I'd be really upset if there was an accident ...

dhano923
07-05-2009, 01:55 AM
DH and I love Deadliest Catch -- we've been watching since Season 1! We record the new episodes on our DVR and watch them after the kids go to sleep. If you have access to the HD versions, watch those -- they are MUCH better than the non-HD shows!

swrc00
07-05-2009, 08:12 AM
I love love the Deadliest Catch! I also watch Ice Road Truckers. It is about truckers who drive equipment along roads close to the Arctic Circle to bring supplies to the oil fields. The roads are only driveable for a certain time period of the year before the ice melts. In my opinion the Deadliest Catch is a better show but Ice Road Truckers is still worth watching.

AJP
07-06-2009, 09:54 AM
I love love the Deadliest Catch! I also watch Ice Road Truckers. It is about truckers who drive equipment along roads close to the Arctic Circle to bring supplies to the oil fields. The roads are only driveable for a certain time period of the year before the ice melts. In my opinion the Deadliest Catch is a better show but Ice Road Truckers is still worth watching.

:yeahthat:
We love those shows!

alien_host
07-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Well I managed to watch most of the 2006 season and also part of 2008. I've caught up on the 2009 Opie season (I've DVRd the King Crab season) so I can start watching it on Tuesday nights.

I really find the show facinating. I also like Sig (and Edgar too) on the NW and the Hillstrands the best. And ITA that they really need to stop smoking, got to love it that they are being battered by waves and still have a cigarette in their mouths while sorting the crabs. Crazy!

Oh and b/c I'm totally nuts, I looked on Discoverychannel.com and the Northwestern has another deckhand named Norman Hansen -- I believe it's another brother but have we ever seen him? I remember the other names of the deckhands: Nick Maver, Matt and Jake but I don't recall them showing Norman (with his name caption)?

It seems like Jonathan and Andy Hillstrand co-captain the boat? Jonathan captains the King Crab portion and Andy the Opie? Why then did I see Andy on deck as "deck boss" helping with the catch while Jonathan is just hanging out with Andy in the wheelhouse during the Opie season? Ok, i just looked on Discoverychannel, Andy is listed as "Captain/Deckhand" and Jon is just "Captain". And another deckhand is "Neal Hillstrand" who is this? Another brother or a nephew or something? I don't recall seeing him "in action". I know Scott is Jon's son right?

So I'm obiviously addicted.....

jse107
07-06-2009, 11:25 AM
We watch this show every week. And although I'm a bit embarassed to admit it, DS LOVES it too. I know, the language is bad, but DH and DS watch together--it's their father/son time.

And, as the PP mentioned, they also watch Ice Road Truckers AND Swamp Loggers. If it's a reality show about a blue-collar, dangerous job, they're watching it!

codex57
07-06-2009, 07:29 PM
I watch it too, along with Ice Road truckers. Much bigger addict of Deadliest Catch tho. DW can't understand why I watch it, especially the repeats.

I've only just started watching IRT. I think more from curiosity then anything, especially since they have a really hot woman trucker. I'm totally falling for Discovery's seemingly fish out of water schtick for her, as in I'm wondering why she's driving a truck on ice instead of modelling or something. They don't do as good a job showing how dangerous things are as they do on DC. You pick up a bit based on those computer simulations and some off hand remarks, but it's not as visual and obvious as with DC.

BIL worked on one of the processing boats before. Not glamorous or high paying at all. There's a reason why they stick solely to the fishermen. If Dirtiest Jobs hasn't done a show on them, they should.

kdeunc
07-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Totally addicted to this show since the beginning. I love the Time Bandit crew too. Neal is another brother and I don't know why we don't see much of him. I think I heard that the other Hansen brother does not want to be a part of the show therefore we don't see footage of him on deck.

VClute
07-06-2009, 10:11 PM
DH and I love Deadliest Catch -- we've been watching since Season 1! We record the new episodes on our DVR and watch them after the kids go to sleep. If you have access to the HD versions, watch those -- they are MUCH better than the non-HD shows!

Yep, DH and I DVR the shows, too. Its one tv show we can consistently enjoy together! And he doesn't even mind that I have a great big crush on Edgar. He is SOooooo cute!

No WAY would I work on the Wizard, though. That captain is nuts. And he's whiny and moody. I won't be fantasizng about HIM anytime soon!

jse107
07-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Lat night I saw a new show that DH will be watching...Ice Loggers. Now a combination of all of his favorite shows in one...