PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from Kalahari Waterpark - highly recommended!

missym
07-05-2009, 01:06 PM
We just stayed 2 nights at the Kalahari Indoor Waterpark/Resort (http://www.kalahariresorts.com/oh/) in Sandusky, Ohio. We had a great time! If you're looking for a mini-vacation and your kids are fond of water, I'd highly recommend it. The Sandusky location claims to be the world's largest indoor waterpark, and it is huge! It has everything from really nice baby pool/play areas to scary-looking (for me) water coasters. Gwen loved the wave pool and the lazy river, and Becca spent hours sliding in the baby pools.

We paid $199/night for the Fantastic Family Getaway package, which included our room and the waterpark admission, plus dinner one night and breakfast both mornings in the buffet-style restaurant, pizza one night, an in-room movie, and a round of mini-golf. The only thing we spent extra $$ on was the Safari Adventure, where the kids can feed and pet various animals, including giraffes. (If you do this, buy the large carrots at the gate for the giraffes and take your camera!)

The customer service was excellent and of course everything was very child-friendly. This was our first attempt at a real family "vacation" other than just a camping trip, and we all had such a great time. We're already planning our next trip to Kalahari for this winter sometime!

infomama
07-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the review. We have outgrown Great Wolf Lodge so to speak so I am glad to hear Kalahari is so much fun.

hellokitty
07-05-2009, 06:39 PM
We love Kalahari at Sandusky as well! Went there last Feb to chase away cabin fever, $99/night special. We loved it so much, we are going to make it an annual tradition in the winter (yeah, I am ok with pulling my kids out of school). In fact, today my DH and I were just talking about how we can't wait to go back to Kalahari again next yr. :) It's so kid friendly, we really love it there. I also like how the rooms come with a microfridge, b/c we brought a lot of our own snacks as well as some frozen dinners for lunch.

missym
07-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I forgot to mention that our room had a small fridge and a microwave, so we brought snacks and lunches with us rather than spend $ on non-included meals. We bought ice cream one night for a treat, but otherwise we were set.

We're going to try for an off-season special this winter, as well. Though I really didn't mind spending what we did, I felt like we got a great mini-vacation for 3 days for a little over $400. Still, $99 a night would be lovely! ;)

soccermom
08-01-2009, 09:02 AM
One note from our experience in May -- ask for the newer wing. We got a 2 bdrm suite in the older wing, and DH and I both took Benadryl b/c of the dustiness. Just got back from Great Wolf Lodge, and only then realized how much bigger Kalahari is! But the difference is just with the 48" and up rides, which ours couldn't go on anyway.