PDA

View Full Version : Double or Single Breast Pump??

mbee85
07-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Hi! I am a a first time mom due in Sept, and still confused about this whole pumping thing. I am trying to determine if it is best to get a single pump (Medela Swing) or double (Lansinoh Double Electric/Ameda PY).

I will be on maternity leave for 12 weeks and plan to use the pump in that time in order to save breast milk for when I return to work. I won't be pumping at work.

When I am on leave and primarily breastfeeding, will I even be able to use the double, or would the single be better? Both pumps are the same price. I would like to go with the most simple option since I won't be using it at work!

Thank you!

stillplayswithbarbies
07-05-2009, 04:50 PM
the double. You can always use it as a single if you find that you need to do that. But it makes sense to pump both sides at once and save time.

WatchingThemGrow
07-05-2009, 05:05 PM
I'm not sure I understand your plan re:not pumping at work, but having enough milk to give the baby while you're working?

Whatever the case, I agree with the PP. Double pumping is way better, plus you can get pumping bras to hold the things for you. never used the ones you mentioned, though...

kijip
07-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Double pump.

Also, if you are going to be working fulltime, you will need to pump initially to gradually reduce your production during the time that you work. 3-4 hours away from baby and without a pump, I would be in some serious pain. 8 hours, I would be a painful, distracted, leaking mess. I would think through how you plan to keep breastfeeding without pumping (with a baby that young) and if you opt to not pump during the day, prepare yourself for the consequences of that...if you plan to wean during the day, you will need to do something to stay comfortable in the interim.