PDA

View Full Version : in-car portable DVD player - recs and/or deals?

researchedout
07-05-2009, 05:19 PM
do you like your in-car DVD player? We have a road trip in a few weeks and DS is not a car person. Any recommendations? Thank you!

OKKiddo
07-05-2009, 05:52 PM
do you like your in-car DVD player? We have a road trip in a few weeks and DS is not a car person. Any recommendations? Thank you!

I borrowed a friends RCA dual dvd player for a trip when our portable dvd player was stolen (from a locked car). It worked out so well I bought the less expensive version of it at Target. The one that I bought was the dual screen (not dual dvd player) RCA that is sold regularly for $130 something. I bought it on sale for $99 and it works great. I've read so many reviews of people not liking their dvd player because the volume isn't loud enough--I sure don't have a problem with this one, lol!

Jacksmommy2b
07-05-2009, 06:28 PM
DS has a kid tough player made by fisher price. My mom bought it for him for xmas, but I think she paid about $100.

The downside is that it has a smaller screen. It doesn't seem to bother J at all.

J was always horrible in the car and we started with a $100 model from target, but as he got older he would want to hit the buttons, or it would fall off his lap, or once he even chucked it off the table at a restaurant mid-tantrum. It didn't last very long.

The kid tough one is great that way. You could throw the thing and the disk would fall out and it still works perfectly. And it is small enough for J to hold comfortably in the car on his lap.

I think it depends on your need and the age of your child. J was 2 when we got it, and the sole purpose was to keep him amused on the road. It was a perfect choice.

I think if J were older or if we needed it for DH or I then it would not really suit our needs.

iowavb
07-05-2009, 07:28 PM
I agree with the pp, I like the Kid Tough. It's great for her to hold onto and is very durable. It has been dropped many times and works great. The simplicity of it is also great because she can work it totally by herself!

JJMom
07-05-2009, 09:30 PM
I have the Sony. DS just turned two. We bought it in May just before two big trips. Picture is great and sounds is very good. What I like most is the screen pivots around and will even lay down flat. It was $150 at Sams Club.

kellij
07-06-2009, 12:42 AM
We got some from Sam's. This is actually our fourth or fifth set. I got one kind at target, I think it starts with an A and it died like 3 times or so. Then I finally got smart and got the extended warranty on some target dvd players and my daughter kicked the screen and it broke, not covered by warranty. So after going a long time without them I got them for a road trip. I bought them at Sam's with the warranty. I LOVE THEM. They are by far the best ones so far. They can be played together or separately. So they can each pick the dvd or use the same one. They also come with ac adapters so that they can be watched inside. They turn off when the car is off, which I think is good because you don't have to think about it. They were about 189.

Melbel
07-06-2009, 07:22 AM
We also have a Sony and love it. It had very high reviews when so many of the other less expensive portable DVD players had horrible ones. Both the picture and sound are outstanding. We also like the pivoting screen. We were able to secure it on the seat in front of DD2 (rear facing) just out of her reach. I purchased it from Amazon.com (about $160) and by adding then purchasing off of my baby registry, it helped me qualify for 6+ months of free diapers.

Melaine
07-06-2009, 07:55 AM
We got some from Sam's. This is actually our fourth or fifth set. I got one kind at target, I think it starts with an A and it died like 3 times or so. Then I finally got smart and got the extended warranty on some target dvd players and my daughter kicked the screen and it broke, not covered by warranty. So after going a long time without them I got them for a road trip. I bought them at Sam's with the warranty. I LOVE THEM. They are by far the best ones so far. They can be played together or separately. So they can each pick the dvd or use the same one. They also come with ac adapters so that they can be watched inside. They turn off when the car is off, which I think is good because you don't have to think about it. They were about 189.

Ohhh I want that one! Which one did you get?

researchedout
07-06-2009, 08:49 AM
These recs are great, thank you!
Do any of them come with a remote? We'll be mounting it on the carseat and controlling it ourselves.

Also, does anyone have the Toshiba?