PDA

View Full Version : Can the Safety 1st Apex be used in an Altima?

HIU8
07-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Before I go and purchase this seat mainly for use in Grandpa's car for DD, can it also be used in a 2000 nissan altima? I looked on carseatdata.org and could not find any information on that car and seat combo. I think my mom's car has those tiny headrests, not the full sized ones like my dad's car has (just bought a 2005 subaru outback). Anyone know?

Thanks

mom2binsd
07-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Heather,

Is there another seat that will work...I really dislike my Apex, almost never use it. It seems so filmsy and from what I just learned in booster mode it's usually too wide for most kids..

HIU8
07-05-2009, 10:28 PM
I need something for DD for my father's car (a 2005 outback) and that we will use for travel (to be put in my mother's car a 2000 altima). We have a MA we could use on trips, but I still need something for my father's car. DS will be using a Safeguard GO in his car and we will be taking that for travel as well, but I don't really know what to do for DD. I've only owned MA (LOVE it), Safeseat (LOVED it) and a PP Primo Viaggio (which I hated).

mom2binsd
07-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Ok, I've got the same seats, and you'll hate the Apex, I would not want to travel with it (airplane), the arm rest will get in the way and it's a pain to install with seatbelts and the whole headrest issue.....

Can you justify another MA, I don't find it that bad too travel with, and it'll last you forever, but you know that. What about an Avenue?

Do you belong to car-seat.org, in the swap section there are often MA's for sale, you would have to become a carseat "supporter" which is about 9.95 to gain access to that forum but it might be worth it.

HIU8
07-05-2009, 11:01 PM
I can't get another MA right now. I'm actually considering the scenera for the time being (DD is 35 inches and 29 lbs) so I think she would be ok FF in it (not that I want her FF, but it's the easiest option right now for 3x a month in my dads car and less than a week in my mom's car).

mom2binsd
07-06-2009, 01:57 AM
That sounds like a better option.

Joolsplus2
07-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Yeah, sounds like a good stop gap measure, sounds like she's slowing her growth down and it might last you 18-24 months. Who knows what'll be out then?

jjordan
07-06-2009, 10:17 AM
I think a 2000 Altima is essentially the same as my 1999 Altima (except 2000 comes with top tethers?). If so I don't think the Apex will work as the headrests in the backseat are low and non-adjustable. I can take a photo if you like.

Joolsplus2
07-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Oh, and I'm also thinking...if you can find them at competitive prices to the Scenera, then the Evenflo Tribute (the new one with 4 slots and an A-lock adjuster) or Evenflo Chase (if the harness adjuster is going to be ok for your folks to use, it's on the harness itself) are other choices that would work.

HIU8
07-06-2009, 03:57 PM
I think I'm just going to go with the scenera b/c I can get it at Target now (and I need it for July 31st and I want to practice installing it). I am going to go get the GO for DS (armed with my coupons--nice that Great Beginnings takes all competitors coupons now).

GraceH
07-06-2009, 07:21 PM
When you do go FF, the Graco Nautilus has the same sort of harness as your SafeSeat (which you liked) and can be found ~$160 at Walmart in-store, or better if sales/coupons elsewhere

PAfirsttimemom
07-07-2009, 11:01 AM
What can you all tell me about the Safeguard Go? Would this make an acceptable seat for a secondary car or grandparents' car? Seems people like this as a seat for travel. But if you can't use it ON the plane, does a 3 yr old just get strapped in the regular plane seat like an adult would? I don't have any imminent trips, but just want to be prepared for the future.