PDA

View Full Version : DD1's first day of preschool/daycare today...

smiles33
07-06-2009, 12:03 PM
I drove away crying....We had talked it up, visited a couple times, and really tried to remind her of all the fun things at daycare. She's been in daycare since she was 4 months old, but I pulled her out a month and a half ago when I took 3 weeks off from work before the birth of DD2. She was at my on-site employer's daycare center and we live 45 minutes from there so it wasn't feasible to continue dropping her off/picking her up while I'm here all summer.

She's been home with me ever since but with the newborn, I was really limited in what I could do with her so DH and I agreed she should go to a socialized group setting. Today was her first day at a local preschool near our home.

Still, sitting here at home with the newborn, I'm wondering how my DD1 is doing....She was trying to be brave and not cry, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand to hide her tears, but when I started walking away and waving goodbye, she burst into tears. It was so hard....Her teacher was holding her, but she cried out for 1 more kiss, so I came back and gave her 1 more kiss. Then she wanted another one but I told her she already got one and walked out. My tears burst out before I even got to the door, but thankfully after I had turned my back to her as I didn't want her to see them....

Shouldn't it get easier the second time around? I dread having to drop off my infant in September, but at least she won't be crying hysterically.

tny915
07-06-2009, 12:26 PM
It is hard. :hug:

On DD1's first day at preschool, she was the only child in a class of 15 or so that cried. Quick getaways are best. We talked to the teachers and they recommended we walk in, catch the eye of her favorite teacher, do the handoff with a quick goodbye and be out the door, tears or no tears. The teachers were big on validating the children's feelings, so they helped write her thoughts down for her to carry around with her. For literally months, she came home with notes that said "I want to go home now! Right now!" Other kids would walk out with their art, my child would walk out with a construction paper note where she picked the color and as time went on, she would draw and color and decorate the notes with stickers. She was as proud of her notes as the other kids were of their art. And then one day after winter break, the notes stopped. She didn't need them anymore.

So based on DD1, 2nd time around was not better. But in time, it definitely got better. Hang in there.

eliasmom
07-06-2009, 12:38 PM
:hug5:

Our kids are pretty much the same ages, so I completely understand! DD went to preschool 3 days/wk last year and she really had a hard time when I tried to leave on the first day. It choked me up so I had to step outside of the room and pull myself together so she wouldn't feed off of my emotions. She did fine after I left (her teacher called to tell me). From that day forward, I tried to always give her an explanation for what I would be doing while she played with her friends. "I'm going to the grocery store and I'll be back to get you after you [have music, play outside, do circle time, whatever]." And then a quick escape.

FWIW, I just moved her to camp at a new school about one month after her brother was born and the first week was HELL. She was super moody and emotional and I had to stick around a little bit longer on the first two days. Now she is used to it again.

SnuggleBuggles
07-06-2009, 01:32 PM
((((hugs))))

I just left my 7yo at camp and am feeling a bit sad for some reason. I think it will always happen because they are our little ones and we love them. :)

Beth

smiles33
07-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks, ladies. I guess I just surprised myself with how emotional I got. I kept thinking I'd be relieved as I can nap when DD2 naps. Plus, DD1 will have friends to play with and some structured fun (as opposed to just sitting at home with me watching TV or drawing/reading books/other quiet activities we can do at home next to me.

Anyhow, she was all smiles when we just picked her up. Fingers crossed that it's not so hard tomorrow.