PDA

View Full Version : San Diego: Zoo or Wild Animal Park?

spanannie
07-06-2009, 08:31 PM
If you had to choose one, which would you go to? Kids are 7, 5 and 1.

scmama
07-06-2009, 08:44 PM
I love the Wild Animal Park. Are you coming to SD on vacation? If so, the zoo is much more central to everything. At the Wild Animal Park, it's a lot of walking and pushing the stroller. It's also much hotter than the zoo as the Park is inland in Escondido. There is a wonderful tram ride that takes you around part of the zoo where you can see a lot of animals. Let me know if you have any more questions, DS just woke up.

spanannie
07-06-2009, 09:01 PM
I love the Wild Animal Park. Are you coming to SD on vacation? If so, the zoo is much more central to everything. At the Wild Animal Park, it's a lot of walking and pushing the stroller. It's also much hotter than the zoo as the Park is inland in Escondido. There is a wonderful tram ride that takes you around part of the zoo where you can see a lot of animals. Let me know if you have any more questions, DS just woke up.

Yes, we're coming on vacation. We'll be staying in Solana Beach. I'm all for whatever requires the least walking/stroller pushing and for less heat (we are coming from scorching hot temps)! I've heard from one person that the Wild Animal park was better, so that is why I am asking. I'd love any input; we'll be there for a week.

npace19147
07-06-2009, 09:08 PM
I think your oldest would love the WAP, the middle would probably be happy at either, and your baby would not be very happy at WAP, and with the baby you would miss out on the coolest part of WAP, the tours inside the animal enclosures by Jeep. Unless you either have a sitter for the baby or are willing to have one parent miss out on the animal encounters and stay behind with the baby, you're better off at the zoo IMO.

Maybe do zoo and Sea World?

egoldber
07-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Personally, I prefer the WAP. I think it's more interesting, better laid out and a little bit different from other zoos. It is much easier for walking and strolling. The Zoo is VERY, VERY, VERY hilly. VERY hilly. We went last summer and my at the time just turned 7 year old was too tired to walk up the hill to get out and wanted to be pushed.

There is a gondola that allows you to get from one side of the zoo to the other, but if you have a stroller, you can't take that on the gondola. There is also a bus. But in general, I think the WAP is more fun. Be there when it opens to beat the heat.

In a week long trip though, I would consider doing both.

hellokitty
07-06-2009, 09:39 PM
We had to choose btwn WAP or the zoo (only had one day) and went with WAP, b/c it is different from your typical zoo, "set up." We all loved it. Yes, there is more walking involved, but it is very different from your traditional zoo setting. I'm glad we chose it over the SD zoo.

DebbieJ
07-06-2009, 11:32 PM
The Zoo is VERY, VERY, VERY hilly. VERY hilly.

:yeahthat: Which is why my vote is for the WAP. Your older two would probably not have much fun walking in the zoo.

pinay
07-06-2009, 11:41 PM
If you're coming before October, I would choose the zoo over the WAP b/c of the heat factor. Plus, the zoo just opened their new elephant and lion exhibits that are supposed to be AMAZING (haven't been there myself yet, but planning to check it out soon).

Tondi G
07-07-2009, 02:40 AM
The SD Zoo would get my vote if you are coming in the summer or early fall. I've heard the WAP gets VERY hot! I remember being at the SD Zoo in September and it being quite warm. The hills are pretty steep in some parts and the Zoo is BIG ... we still got around fine with a stroller and our almost 2 year old then.

Sea World is lots of fun though.... highly recommend it! My boys also enjoyed Legoland.

citymama
07-07-2009, 02:41 AM
Personally, I am a big fan of the zoo! Especially for the little one - I think WAP would be hard for a toddler to enjoy. I'm sure you will love either!

spanannie
07-07-2009, 11:15 AM
If you're coming before October, I would choose the zoo over the WAP b/c of the heat factor. Plus, the zoo just opened their new elephant and lion exhibits that are supposed to be AMAZING (haven't been there myself yet, but planning to check it out soon).

We're going in mid-August. We're coming from 103 deg. June temps, so we're used to heat. Still, I was hoping to get away from it! We went to Sea World TX in August last year, and I think my baby was on the edge of heat exhaustion, as was I.

saschalicks
07-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Based on your requirements I'd go w/the Zoo over WAP. The zoo is cooler, has a bus and a gandola as well. It may have tons of hills, but it's managable.

BaileyBea
07-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Hi Annie,

Last year we spent 10 Days on the Beach in the San Diego area last year and we did it all. We did the Wild Animal Park twice, the Zoo Twice, Legoland, Disneyland etc..

I recommend San Diego Zoo over Wild Animal Park because it has more shade, more places to rest and eat, and if you wanted to you can pack a picnic at eat at Balboa Park and go ride the train. Which is so fun. The have ecalators, trams and busses that can take you around stop to stop. Which is great. They just opened up a new Elephant section that is suppose to be HUGE and beautiful. We are Zoo Members. I can see if I find any coupons for you. The Wild Animal park has some shady areas but it's more exposed than the Zoo and it's much hotter since it's further inland. But both are really fun. The Wild Animal Park does have a huge sand pit and water fountain area for kids. And there are some cute wineries along the way... ;-)

How exciting! Last year we went for 10 days and this year we are going for 12 days we loved it so much. This year we are adding a Sea World Trip (since we have season passes) and two days at Disneyland. We really lucked out because my BFF's Mom has a vacation condo across the street from Disneyland and she offered it to us. And an another friend got us Park Hoppers for around $125 for the adult and $110 for kids. Which is amazing! More $ for character meals. Ha ha!

We always rent a house right on the beach in Oceanside which is nice and quiet but has a great downtown, farmers market, Trader Joes, In and Out Burger, and The Pier. We love the area though. I have friends that live in Solana and they like it for surfing. ;-) There is a great Ruby's on the Pier in Oceanside and the playground for kids there is great.

Have fun!
Nancy

Malloryn
07-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Hmmm, this is a tough choice. I would say the WAP over the Zoo, simply because I've never seen anything quite like it. Whichever one you choose, check into the membership at the San Diego Zoo. We signed up for it and had a nice discount on entrance fees (maybe food coupons? can't remember)... and you get their zoo magazine for a year. We went to the Zoo and the WAP. They are both great facilities.

Edit: Here is a link http://www.sandiegozoo.org/membership/member_benefits.html

niccig
07-14-2009, 03:29 AM
We just did the Zoo, seaworld and legoland. We chose the Zoo over WAP as friends told us in the heat the animals are over in the shade and the jeep doesn't get close enough to the trees. DS is 4.5 and there was a chance he wouldn't be into the animals and could be antsy on the jeep ride. We live in SoCal, so we'll do WAP when he's about 7 to.

You can take strollers on the Zoos gondolier. We went straight to the top of the Zoo, saw the pandas without a line and then went to the new elephant exhibit - it's huge and really well done. Nice restaurant by the elephants too.

DH and I enjoyed the Zoo more than DS. He was fine but enjoyed the rides at Legoland. I think in a year or two, the Zoo will be more interesting to him. Take your stroller as DS rode for a lot of the day.

AnnieW625
07-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Definitely the Zoo. The WAP is fun, but I like the Zoo much more. Also I wouldn't go to the Wild Animal Park any time during the summer because if it's hotter than let's say 80 in downtown San Diego it's going to be at least 100 in the area of the WAP and there is little shade IIRC.