PDA

View Full Version : Which is best for us?

Mommy Of A Little Angel
07-06-2009, 08:33 PM
DD2 is not quite 4 weeks old and I am in desperate need of a carrier. I bought a Baby K'Tan because there is a store that actually sells it here (serious lack of baby stores here!). It doesn't quite work out yet because the hug position is the only one she wants to be in but she doesn't have the head control for it yet.

Here's what I need:
DD2 hates being sideways or cradled. She pretty much only wants to be upright. I am fairly certain she has some degree of reflux like DD1 so that is probably why.

I need something because she loves being held on my chest but I can't lounge around all day. DD1 wants to play and things need to get done around the house.

We live in Florida and it is super hot and humid here. I need a carrier she won't overheat in.

So, any suggestions? Thanks!

krocodile
07-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Maybe a mei tai or soft-structured carrier? I got my babyhawk mei tai when my DD was about 2 weeks old and it worked nicely.

I have since gotten a pikkolo which feels like my mei tai but has buckles. I didn't get it until she was about 3 months old but I've heard great things about using them with newborns. It kind of seems like it might not be tall enough for head support but that might be because my DD is pretty tall.

I did have a Beco for a bit when she was about a month old and it was good for an infant, I just wasn't as comfortable in it...

ang79
07-06-2009, 11:29 PM
I used mei tais with my DD since 1 week old. I have a Babyhawk and a CatBird Baby. Depending on the type of fabric, some will be warmer than others. When she was tiny I tucked her legs inside the carrier (in a froggy position). The CatBird Baby has a feature to cinch the bottom of the carrier and make it narrower so it was easier to put her legs out as she got a bit bigger, but you can use a ribbon or hair tie to do the same thing to any mei tai.

You could also wear the baby in an upright position in a wrap. Gypsy Mama Bali Breeze wraps are supposed to be nice and cool for warm weather.

Visit thebabywearer.com for more info on these types of carriers or for more suggestions. They also have a For Sale board where you can pick up gently used carriers for great deals :)

neeleymartin
07-07-2009, 09:02 PM
i used to put ds in the k'tan in a front hold facing in. i made sure that the fabric from each side was between the legs. then i wrapped him tightly with the sash. worked beautifully. i felt that he was very safe in there. hth