PDA

View Full Version : WWYD Long road trip and carseats

MommyAllison
07-06-2009, 09:02 PM
We're going to be driving straight through from Washington to Wisconsin (and back, eventually) which is around 24 hours in the car. DD was RFing in her Marathon until a few months ago when I weighed her and she was 33.5lb (her MA is the old 33lb RF limit). So she's been FFing since that day, though she still RFs in DH's car and doesn't mind. Since then, depending on the day and what scale she's on, she's between 31 and 33lb.

So, we will be leaving in the afternoon, driving through the night, and I know her head starts to bob in the FFing MA after awhile. So, I am thinking of switching her and DS' seats (he is also in a MA), because the other MA is a 35lb RF limit, and turning her back around for the trip. Safer, and comfier for sleeping. I think she will be ok with it, as long as I put her cover on his seat. Am I missing anything or does this sound like a good plan?

jjordan
07-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Sounds good to me. I like having the lo's RF for long car trips because dh and I can eat ice cream in the front and they have no clue. :)

WatchingThemGrow
07-06-2009, 10:07 PM
I've done the cover switch to get the older, bigger kid in the 35lb RF carseat.

mom2binsd
07-07-2009, 12:47 AM
I wish I had that option for my upcoming trip...the only thing is my older child will be watching the DVD player and at least DS now that he's FF (at 33lbs) can see the screen too.

I bet that he'll sleep so well RF!

I do notice that he's very in tune to what I'm sipping on, he's forever asking for a sip of my water now. Keep forgetting to get him his own, but he'll still want mine.

Neatfreak
07-07-2009, 03:39 AM
Sounds good to me. I like having the lo's RF for long car trips because dh and I can eat ice cream in the front and they have no clue. :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

MommyAllison
07-07-2009, 04:17 AM

Seriously, that was one of the reasons I hated turning her FF :) and that she is a crazy backseat driver now!

Joolsplus2
07-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Mommy! I want your gum! Mommy! I want your lipstick!

Over and over and over... sigh.

Yeah, put her RF. I did the same thing for dd1 when we went on a long trip together. Though I also put her in a booster in the middle spot (just us two in a minivan for 12 hours, lots of spare seats, lol), and intended for her to be able to reach things easier from the booster and sleep in the MA, and OF COURSE she slept in the booster when I was making good time on the freeway and didn't want to stop. Poor thing looked so uncomfortable...oh well, best laid plans of mice and moms, right?

:)

vonfirmath
07-07-2009, 09:17 AM
When we moved from Washington to Texas, our son travelled rear-facing in the MArathon (though I sat in the backseat to hand him toys, etc). I think this will be a great choice for you.

bubbaray
07-07-2009, 10:00 AM
another vote for RFg!

Have a great trip.

KrisM
07-07-2009, 10:15 AM
I'd turn it RF too.

I wish I could turn all mine RF for our upcoming 15 hour trip! And, build walls between each of them to stop the fighting.