PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with Health Insurance

stefani
07-07-2009, 03:45 PM
I was laid off in May, and lost the health insurance for me and DS at the end of May.

I do not qualify for COBRA's stimulus assistance because my husband can cover me and DS under his employer's insurance plan. Never mind that the employer hardly pay anything for dependents, so it is almost as expensive as full COBRA.

Tried to apply for health insurance through private insurers, denied by both! It seems that the fact I have osteopenia and seasonal allergies and I have seen a chiropractor is against me.

So now my son is covered under one of the private insurers, and I am taking COBRA, paying full premium...

I don't particularly think of myself as unhealthy, but it seems that I am considered high risk enough that they don't want to cover me.... I have to always work in corporate world until I can get Medicare...

It is depressing and frustrating!

lorinick
07-07-2009, 03:53 PM
I so sorry for this situation. The US health insurance is a mess. I have a friend who's dh lost his job in May and she was not working to take care of three mt. old. She had two children and went on Medicade. But that wouldn't be something you could do since your dh is working. They make it so hard. :grouphug:

ha98ed14
07-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Dealing with insurance companies sucks! I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. If I understand you correctly, it is more expensive for you to be on DH's insurance than to pay for cobra. Is that right? If so, you should maintain your cobra coverage so that you are not without health insurance. If you go without coverage for a certain period (6 mos. I think) then THAT gap can be used as a reason not to insure you. Anyway. Sorry you have to deal with thin on top of losing your job.

ShanaMama
07-07-2009, 09:14 PM
I feel your pain! I lost my job earlier this year & my benefits were worth as much or more than my salary. DH does not have a viable insurance plan through his work. We thought we'd have to pay the full Cobra premium but it turns out that my employer was required to pay about two thirds of my premium through Obama's stimulus act (??) I'm not familiar with the law, when they told me I was thrilled & did not ask too many questions.
I am shocked that they consider seasonal allergies pre-existing conditions. I'm not familiar with osteopenia though, maybe that is more major?

DietCokeLover
07-07-2009, 09:56 PM
We have similar issues. We are self employed which is outrageous expensive, but DH has a medical condition which when insurers see it listed, they AUTOMATICALLY deny him. No matter that he has not had any medical issues related to his condition in years. He just takes medication daily.

We finally got him on insurance (his own policy - I had to have a separate one) and then after a couple of years, they allowed us to combine our policies.

I hate health insurance and everything involved in it, but I don't want what is being thought about in Washington either. I definitely do not want some politician directing my healthcare.

trales
07-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Neither of us get health insurance through our jobs, it is so expensive to pay for out of pocket. We are thinking of adding the maternity rider, ahhhh.

I so feel your pain.

larig
07-07-2009, 11:37 PM
I'm sorry you have to deal with this too. I HATE that our health insurance is tied to jobs. It is so stupid. I think there are a lot of people who would feel more freedom to try striking out on their own if they didn't have the problem of finding their own health insurance. My SIL just got laid off, is pregnant and was the one providing benefits for the whole family. She is lucky to have a decent severance package, but she feels that it will take her the rest of the year to find a job in her field, pregnant. I worry about them and that they'll have coverage when the new baby arrives.

I want to just be able to pick my plan and stick with it no matter what kind of work my DH and I decide to do. Wouldn't it be nice to not have to worry about having to change doctors because you're changing jobs?

Kungjo
07-08-2009, 01:58 AM
Stefani,

That sucks. We both have private insurance and we pay and arm and a leg for it. America needs to figure out this healthcare mess. Hugs!

stefani
07-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks everyone.

Obama's stimulus act / assistance is that the employer will get a subsidy of 2/3 of the full COBRA premium, so the ex-employee has to pay 1/3 only. The fact that I am married, and my husband can possibly cover me through his employer's health insurance, I do not qualify for the subsidy. They don't look at the premium amount at all.

Osteopenia is a precursor to osteoporosis (not as serious as osteoporosis yet). PSA: get a bone mass density test after you turn 30, and not wait until 50 years old, if at all possible. I wish I got myself tested when I was 30 or 35, although I was lucky that I asked to be tested at the age of 41, but I was already osteopenic. A combination of Actonel, high dosage of Calcium, and exercise helped and last year my bone improved.

I am signing up for COBRA now, and hopefully I'll get another job soon.

My SIL just got laid off, is pregnant and was the one providing benefits for the whole family. She is lucky to have a decent severance package, but she feels that it will take her the rest of the year to find a job in her field, pregnant. I worry about them and that they'll have coverage when the new baby arrives.
Larig, I feel for your SIL, but your SIL probably will qualify for the COBRA stimulus assistance, if her DH doesn't have insurance through his employer (or self-employed), that will take the sting out a little. Good luck to her!

larig
07-08-2009, 01:24 PM
thanks for reaching out, stefani. thanks for the info on the stimulus stuff. I hate to ask SIL too much about their situation, because I don't want to make her feel badly (she really is remarkably calm about it all). You've given me peace of mind without me having to nosy.

big hugs to you!