PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a daycare for my toddler please!

wellyes
07-07-2009, 06:43 PM
DD is 15 months and I've been lucky enough to have family watch her during the day until now. But unfortunately that's no longer an option. These are the two daycares I'm looking at....

OPTION A: Licensed family daycare. 10 kids of mixed ages with 3 adults (occassionally 2). The lady who runs it has been doing this for 35 years. It's in a house - very homey, pictures and books, a couple of dogs, big yard full of toys. They charge $60 / day, very reasonable around here. BUT: There is no set schedule.They watch TV once in a while. When I asked about food they said "Well you know kids, all they want is chicken nuggets!" Not so much a focus on healthy eating.

OPTION B: NYAEC Accredited Preschool. The most well-respected in town. It's a miracle there's an opening. Mothers put their newborns on the waiting list for a slot in the toddler program. All the providers have early childhood education degrees. It's in an old mansion which is also a center of community life. Several moms in town rave about it, especially the preschool. If I don't put her in the toddler program now there's just no way I'd get into the preschool later. BUT: It is $95 dollars a day. $95! Can it possibly be more than 50% better than the other place?? It would be a real stretch for us financially. Not "we can't afford groceries", more "we have to cancel the cleaning lady". But still, the expense would impact our lifestyle.

I'm torn. In theory I love the idea of "The Good Enough Child" and don't want to be the mother who just HAS to get her kid into to the most hoity-toity daycare in town. On the other hand, I see the preschool's schedule and the focus on developmentally appropriate programs for each age group, including daily music and dancing, and think - aw, I want that for her.

So if you're read this far - thank you!! I'd love advice. Which would you pick?

tny915
07-07-2009, 06:49 PM
I would go with B. I'm all for schedule, developmentally appropriate, and no tv at daycare.

ha98ed14
07-07-2009, 06:53 PM
I would go with B. You're paying for her to be somewhere, so make it the best somewhere you can. If it helps, I had to make this exact decision. NAEYC v. in home. My choices were $35 or $58 per day, so not as big a gap as what you're facing, but big enough for us. I chose the $58. In the end, DD's development is more important than a clean house.

Pennylane
07-07-2009, 06:54 PM
I agree with the PP. I would go with "B", sounds like it is a no brainer to me. Especially since all you would be giving up is the cost of a cleaning lady.

Option A sounds totally disorganized to me.

Ann

kristenk
07-07-2009, 07:00 PM
I almost hate to say it, but I'd go with B, too. You have all very positive things to say about option B (except for the price, that is). Option A doesn't sound all that appealing in your OP. When you throw future preschool in the mix, that solidifies my opinion.

JustMe
07-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Are these the only 2 options? I hear you on not wanting to pay so much for Option B. yet the unhealthy food, etc at Option A does not make it appealing to me. Can you find a different in-home daycare that pays more attention to food choices and is just higher quality in terms of an in-home childcare? Its true you will not get option B, but seems like you might be able to move just a little closer

pinkmomagain
07-07-2009, 07:05 PM
If it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to choose B.

babybunny
07-07-2009, 07:08 PM
I would go with B too. I really think it is important to have a set schedule. Kids like structure. Don't like the idea to TV either. Also, I prefer classes where the kids are the same age. I had a decision like this to make with DS. His Pediatrician said same age kids was a better situation.

kijip
07-07-2009, 07:11 PM
I would go with Option B or try to find something better than Option A. Remember that with care providers, what you see and hear during the selection process is generally the very best they are going to be/do. Not necessarily the level they perform at in the day to day routine. I would not be that surprised if there were frequently 2 caregivers vs. 3 or if the TV was on more than a little etc. The way I see it, you need to feel secure about the place that you are dropping her off. Also, if you focus on healthy foods at home and then she gets only junk at option A, you may have a kid that ONLY EVER eats nuggets on your hands. Your work at home may be undone. Also, while a schedule does not seem all that critical to a small toddler, having fun and stimulating activities is pretty important to an older toddler/preschooler.

wellyes
07-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks guys. This is helping. Now only if I can convince DH.....

The thing that is attractive about Option A (the family daycare) is the provider:child ratio. Other family daycares in the area typically have 5-7 children being watched by just 1 adult. I definitely would prefer to have more than one set of eyes in a roomful of little ones.

egoldber
07-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Of those 2 options I would choose B. But I would probably try to find another option.

cvanbrunt
07-07-2009, 08:34 PM
I pay through the nose for daycare for two at an amazing corporate NAEYC center (Bright Horizans). It's an additional mortgage payment. It's worth every penny if you can swing it. There is no way I could provide for my girls what they do. I'm thankful everyday that my girls are in their care. Plus, it goes through kindergarten!

vludmilla
07-07-2009, 08:36 PM
...I'd go with B, too. You have all very positive things to say about option B (except for the price, that is). Option A doesn't sound all that appealing in your OP. When you throw future preschool in the mix, that solidifies my opinion.

I totally agree. I had previously had DD in part-time group family daycare and I just recently switched her to a NAEYC approved preschool and I can't tell you how positively thrilled both we and she are with the improvement. I feel a bit guilty for not having sent her to the preschool sooner. I give a very strong vote in favor of Option B. I bet you won't regret it but you might regret Option A and then not be able to change it if there is no space anymore at Option B.

Lovingliv
07-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Another Bright Horizons family here....we pay $1300/month for two kids, for just 2 six hour days....so one preschooler and one toddler....approximately $30 and hour for both kids....
but piece of mind is everything! Go with your gut....BH doesn't put the infants in bouncys or swings....all contact and soothing is done by a caregiver....

I pay through the nose for daycare for two at an amazing corporate NAEYC center (Bright Horizans). It's an additional mortgage payment. It's worth every penny if you can swing it. There is no way I could provide for my girls what they do. I'm thankful everyday that my girls are in their care. Plus, it goes through kindergarten!

ha98ed14
07-07-2009, 08:48 PM
I think I can address this, maybe. See if it applies to what you saw when you observed the two daycares. When I looked at my "B," it was the University Child care center. It is huge. They have classrooms for each age group (2 to 2.5; 2.5 to 3; 3 to 3.5; etc.) with outdoor play yards/ gardens attached to the classroom and then they have two big play yards with play equipment that they take the kids out to in the AM and after naps. They are all separated by little gates so the kids can't go too far. They have a ton of space to move around and are not on top of eachother. When DD was at the home daycare (my Option A), all the kids were in one room, what was basically a large family room. There was not as much space, so I think the temptation to be taking toys and bugging each other was more real. Or there was just more opportunity. At the B, there is plenty of space for all the kids and if they don't like what X kid is doing, they have ample space to get away. Anyway. Dunno if that helps, but I have observed it and it helped me be more comfortable with having DD in a larger space with less adults. Altho the ratio is still about 3 teachers for 12 to 15 kids, and I am ok with that.

HIU8
07-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Of those 2 options I would choose B. But I would probably try to find another option.

:yeahthat:

egoldber
07-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Another though I had was how long is it going to be that expensive? Is there a price break once she reaches a 2 year old room? We pay about $50 a day for Amy at an NAEYC preschool and child care facility, but it is about 50% more for the toddler room vs the 2 year old room.

jent
07-07-2009, 09:26 PM
I would go with Option B or try to find something better than Option A. Remember that with care providers, what you see and hear during the selection process is generally the very best they are going to be/do. Not necessarily the level they perform at in the day to day routine.

ITA. Go with B.