PDA

View Full Version : Could use some advice- repair neighborly relations after we called the cops on them?

ShanaMama
07-07-2009, 09:40 PM
We finally called the cops because my next door neighbors keep 'forgetting' to keep their nasty little dog on a leash. This dog has chased several little kids and nipped one. We've asked them to be more careful (duh!) whenever it's outside. When I saw it running all over my yard last week DH called the cops. An officer came down, we explained what happened & he talked to them, I guess gave them a warning.
We have absolutely no relationship with these neighbors, other than the friendly wave. There is also a language barrier as english is not their first language. (I know the kids are fluent but don't know if the parents even speak or understand much english.)
DH & I feel badly to have aggravated them (although I think it was justified & would do it again). Should I bring over a plate of cookies or something? I feel it's strange to apologize for something I'm not sorry about & they brought it on themselves. I just don't want to have this awkwardness- they probably hate us now.
WWYD? Also, if I bring something do I write a note? In English or Spanish?
Or were we justified and need to stop being anti-confrontational?

trales
07-07-2009, 09:42 PM
We have called the police 4 times on our neighbors dog. The last officer made things more pleasant, he told him that he was going to take the dog and make them come to court, but I asked him not too, they stopped snarling after that.

Just keep waving and smiling, time heals things.

ha98ed14
07-07-2009, 09:45 PM
WWYD? Also, if I bring something do I write a note? In English or Spanish?
Or were we justified and need to stop being anti-confrontational?

I would leave it be and not engage them. I think you were right to call the cops. (You had already talked to them personally.) Don't apologize for it. Just continue the neighborly wave as you always have. But if they don't heed the officer's warning, don't hesitate to call the cops again. You would not be questioning yourself if the dog had mauled the child's face. But with an aggressive dog, you just never know when that moment is going to be. And I am a total dog lover.

MmeSunny
07-07-2009, 09:46 PM
This was exactly my situation with neighbors, only their dog hadn't bit anyone yet and was a huge pit mix who *only* growled and wouldn't let us in our own front yard. . . but I digress.

We called animal control on them three times and they only got a warning. I did nothing to "repair" our relationship because we didn't have one to begin with. My thoughts on this are that you and I did nothing wrong. Our neighbors are in the wrong for letting dangerous dogs out unattended. We shouldn't feel bad/sorry/regretfull for trying to protect our children.

So, I didn't bring my neighbors any cookies to say the least. . . You may be a nicer person than me, but in my book, I should be getting the cookies. Don't break the law and expect the person who caught you to be sorry.

Raidra
07-07-2009, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't bother trying to mend things.. it's not like you had a relationship to mend, you know? I called animal control several times on one family in my neighborhood for the same thing.. I once witnessed their dog bite an SPCA worker who was out searching for a lost dog. With our AC, I have to give them my info, but they don't pass on who made the complaint.

With aggressive dogs and children, there's no such thing as too cautious. I wouldn't feel bad at all about calling the cops.

ShanaMama
07-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Y'all have made me feel a lot better. I don't think it's a dangerous dog per se, just crazy. Every time I hear it barking up a storm I have to go running out to see if it's loose. ( I let DD1 play on my porch/ in the yard when I'm in & out). I would not call these people good neighbors! We usually just let it go (loud music, late parties) but enough was enough. Don;t start up with Mama Bear!

infomama
07-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Leave it alone. You did what you needed to do and you shouldn't feel like you need to apologize or mend fences for that.

MartiesMom2B
07-07-2009, 10:28 PM
I would leave it alone. Just be polite and wave and leave it at that.

eidean
07-08-2009, 02:10 AM
Our neighbor was angry with us for a while because we called code enforcement when his daughter's car was blocking part of our driveway. If I'd recognized the car, I'd have knocked on his door, but it was a new car so I didn't. He came over while he was drunk and ranted to DH about how his daughter didn't need the expense of a ticket and why didn't we come tell him it was in the way (see above) and she came home late, was drunk, her friend pulled up right behind her and she probably didn't even notice... When it comes to "neighborly relations" it was probably better that DH was here and not I at that point, b/c DH didn't say anything but I would've been totally up in arms about "if she drove home drunk she's lucky all she got was a parking ticket, etc, etc." At any rate, he was mad at us for a while (he's usually a pretty friendly guy) but eventually he started talking again. If anything's going to heal, it'll be time. Don't worry about mending it, just do your normal thing.